Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Not panicking, but....
Here's a philosophical question....

If Brandon Allen plays very well or shows well in the preseason would you be okay with the Bengals sitting Joe at the start if the season while the O line gels?

To further the question... If you answer YES to the above: If the Bengals go at least 2-2 and looked competitive in the first 4 games with BA under center would you let that lineup play out to see where it went while Joe continues to gain confidence in practice and they continue to sort the line out?

If you were the coach (or Mike Brown).... what would you do in the 2 above scenarios?
Reply/Quote
We didn’t spend a #1 OA pick on a guy to bubble wrap him on the sideline. If he is full go, he’s gonna be out there.

That being said. If we are down 3 scores late in a game with no hope, put BA in there.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's a philosophical question....

If Brandon Allen plays very well or shows well in the preseason would you be okay with the Bengals sitting Joe at the start if the season while the O line gels?

To further the question... If you answer YES to the above: If the Bengals go at least 2-2 and looked competitive in the first 4 games with BA under center would you let that lineup play out to see where it went while Joe continues to gain confidence in practice and they continue to sort the line out?

If you were the coach (or Mike Brown).... what would you do in the 2 above scenarios?

No. You let Burrow play, holding him out of game time isn’t going to help his confidence. He has to get hit and realize he can take them. This team this year is not a playoff team, so spend the time getting Burrow back in his groove.
Reply/Quote

Immediate YES to both proposals! Joe Burrow is neither physically nor mentally ready for the regular season. Let’s protect our long term investment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:01 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We didn’t spend a #1 OA pick on a guy to bubble wrap him on the sideline. If he is full go, he’s gonna be out there.

That being said. If we are down 3 scores late in a game with no hope, put BA in there.

(08-05-2021, 10:02 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: No. You let Burrow play, holding him out of game time isn’t going to help his confidence. He has to get hit and realize he can take them. This team this year is not a playoff team, so spend the time getting Burrow back in his groove.

(08-05-2021, 10:03 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Immediate YES to both proposals!  Joe Burrow is neither physically nor mentally ready for the regular season.  Let’s protect our long term investiment.

3 totally different takes. I LOVE how polarizing the idea is.
Reply/Quote
When Ohio teams bench Burrow he starts thinking of Louisiana. On a more serious note, we gotta just play the guy. I don't think burrow is some robot who is immune to self doubt, but I dont think we should go above and beyond to insulate him, either.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: When Ohio teams bench Burrow he starts thinking of Louisiana.  On a more serious note, we gotta just play the guy.  I don't think burrow is some robot who is immune to self doubt, but I dont think we should go above and beyond to insulate him, either.

Super fair assessment!

I am wondering if a series or two against the Dolphins would be crucial to really see where he stands.
Reply/Quote

2 problems i see with this scenario. 

Problem #1:  If Brandon Allen looks like a Pro Bowl QB and leads this team to a 2-2 record in their first 4 games, and has the confidence of this offense can you really take him out and replace him with JoeyB? In my opinion, If BA is playing at a Pro Bowl pace then JB is on the pine until BA comes back down to earth or the team starts losing with BA.  

Problem #2:   If you truly think this coaching staff is going to allow any of the defensive players to get within a hair of JoeyB you're kidding yourself.  Burrow needs a true pass rush that'll get in his face and knock him on his ass.  Right now, he's thinking unlike prior to the injury he was just out there playing ball.  I've said all along "how long is it going to take JoeyB to get over the mental aspect of the injury?"  and quite a few on here said oh he'll be 100% he's too strong to be weak mentally.  Well I guess we're seeing the true affects of a major knee injury on a stud QB until he gets over that hurdle.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:27 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Super fair assessment!

I am wondering if a series or two against the Dolphins would be crucial to really see where he stands.

I'm a people watcher and I find it interesting that we had a huge off-season debate where we concluded that Burrow was going to come back with 150% confidence and swagger and make that other knee injured 1st overall pick QB we had look like a shell shocked coward by comparison. 

Now we have ZT giving the guy mental heath days off from practice and we are wondering if we are going to break the guy for good like he's John Ross or David Carr.  Oof.  

If Burrow is anything like the win addicted legend we've made him out to be and ZT tries to bench him "for his own good", I'd expect, nay demand Burrow to go nuclear on the situation. 

You have to hit your way out of a slump. Only Bob Uecker wanted to hide in the bullpen for the whole season.  You don't draft Bob Uecker to resurrect your franchise.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm a people watcher and I find it interesting that we had a huge off-season debate where we concluded that Burrow was going to come back with 150% confidence and swagger and make that other knee injured 1st overall pick QB we had look like a shell shocked coward by comparison. 

Now we have ZT giving the guy mental heath days off from practice and we are wondering if we are going to break the guy for good like he's John Ross or David Carr.  Oof.  

If Burrow is anything like the win addicted legend we've made him out to be and ZT tries to bench him "for his own good", I'd expect, nay demand Burrow to go nuclear on the situation. 

You have to hit your way out of a slump. Only Bob Uecker wanted to hide in the bullpen for the whole season.  You don't draft Bob Uecker to resurrect your franchise.  

I agree with you in principle... What gives me pause is the idea that Joey B's first live game will be with a brand new O line against a notoriously blitz happy, defensive minded HC.

Live fire is one thing... being air-dropped into the jungle during Nam is another. I am honestly torn on it.
Reply/Quote
I’d sit burrow all year if I had too. We aren’t winning anything this year and the offensive line is still shit after a full offseason and a draft. Clap for the front office on this
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:30 AM)TJ528 Wrote: 2 problems i see with this scenario. 

Problem #1:  If Brandon Allen looks like a Pro Bowl QB and leads this team to a 2-2 record in their first 4 games, and has the confidence of this offense can you really take him out and replace him with JoeyB? In my opinion, If BA is playing at a Pro Bowl pace then JB is on the pine until BA comes back down to earth or the team starts losing with BA.  

Problem #2:   If you truly think this coaching staff is going to allow any of the defensive players to get within a hair of JoeyB you're kidding yourself.  Burrow needs a true pass rush that'll get in his face and knock him on his ass.  Right now, he's thinking unlike prior to the injury he was just out there playing ball.  I've said all along "how long is it going to take JoeyB to get over the mental aspect of the injury?"  and quite a few on here said oh he'll be 100% he's too strong to be weak mentally.  Well I guess we're seeing the true affects of a major knee injury on a stud QB until he gets over that hurdle.  

I agree with you on scenario 1 and your point #2 with mental aspect has been glossed over by fans and media. I agree with the notion that Joey B is a young human being... not a robot. There are layers to recovery.
Reply/Quote
No way. Allen is a back up for a reason. Burrow is a rising star. People are making way to much of the offense's struggles, which really aren't struggles in that they are installing certain progressions and not actually making reads of what the defense is doing. The defense has ALL the advantages, in that they know what's coming. Burrow taking 2 days off to rest his knee and regroup is totally logical. Taylor says he has 2 groups of players getting ready for 2 different dates. Some players he is trying to get ready to play in Pre season game 1, and some players he is getting ready to play Game 1. Burrow is in the 2nd group. no need to rush him.
Reply/Quote
Win or lose, you gotta play him. Benching him is only going to keep him in his own head about the injury. He needs to take hits to realize he's going to be OK.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:44 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I’d sit burrow all year if I had too.  We aren’t winning anything this year and the offensive line is still shit after a full offseason and a draft.  Clap for the front office on this

I don't think any amount of draft capital would have ensured Burrow stay upright for the year and I like the starting O line well enough. What has me worried is that all of the deptg behind the starters are young guys... or guys who are questionable in the reliability department.

For example, I don't love the idea of Billy Price being "Next man up" to either G or C spots. Maybe Carman will start and X becomes that, but now a rookie is being tossed out to start, which I never loved the idea of. They needed to spend for vets at depth in the O line... I still think the Bengals are gambling on hope and that's a dangerous roll of the dice.
Reply/Quote
You serious Clark?

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No way. Allen is a back up for a reason. Burrow is a rising star. People are making way to much of the offense's struggles, which really aren't struggles in that they are installing certain progressions and not actually making reads of what the defense is doing. The defense has ALL the advantages, in that they know what's coming.  Burrow taking 2 days off to rest his knee and regroup is totally logical. Taylor says he has 2 groups of players getting ready for 2 different dates. Some players he is trying to get ready to play in Pre season game 1, and some players he is getting ready to play Game 1. Burrow is in the 2nd group. no need to rush him.

If I had to bet, I would bet on Burrow and the above being the case.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No way. Allen is a back up for a reason. Burrow is a rising star. People are making way to much of the offense's struggles, which really aren't struggles in that they are installing certain progressions and not actually making reads of what the defense is doing. The defense has ALL the advantages, in that they know what's coming.  Burrow taking 2 days off to rest his knee and regroup is totally logical. Taylor says he has 2 groups of players getting ready for 2 different dates. Some players he is trying to get ready to play in Pre season game 1, and some players he is getting ready to play Game 1. Burrow is in the 2nd group. no need to rush him.

I agree with most of this.  While there is no need to rush Burrow, even a 17 game season is short.  The more we shuffle our feet on Burrow the more we go into 2022 not knowing if ZT is good or our oline can block for a "real QB who is 100%"

After a few padded practices we've gone from wondering if Burrow even needs the preseason to wondering if the regular season can damage him.  You can't draw conclusions yet, but it's notable that we seem to be sliding down a hill here. 
Reply/Quote
"Not panicking"?

Really?

Wink
Reply/Quote
Who is our 3rd string QB? We usually get pretty fired up about that guy.
Reply/Quote