Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Not panicking, but....
(08-05-2021, 07:10 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: You ever been in a fender bender or any car accident?   It takes like a month for you to feel comfortable to drive again without worry.  Refusing to drive isn't gonna help your fear of driving. Only way is to get out and get it done.  Only way for Burrow is to get out and get it done.  He'll get hit and he'll be fine.

True, I fell off a building a few years ago from about 15 feet up when setting trusses. 

Didn't get badly hurt thank God but man I was scurred the next time I got up there when I was always comfortable 
before. After awhile you get over it, just have to power through and face your fears.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:56 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's a philosophical question....

If Brandon Allen plays very well or shows well in the preseason would you be okay with the Bengals sitting Joe at the start if the season while the O line gels?

To further the question... If you answer YES to the above: If the Bengals go at least 2-2 and looked competitive in the first 4 games with BA under center would you let that lineup play out to see where it went while Joe continues to gain confidence in practice and they continue to sort the line out?

If you were the coach (or Mike Brown).... what would you do in the 2 above scenarios?

I..................................can't believe you'd even ask this question.

There are posters here who i could believe would ask this question. But you're not one of them. 

Shocked

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 12:43 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I..................................can't believe you'd even ask this question.

There are posters here who i could believe would ask this question. But you're not one of them. 

:shocked:

No no no, don't get me wrong. lol. It's more of a "What would you do" question given the scenario. Not a prediction or anything I think is likely to happen. Just meant it as a fun question to see where people's heads are at if they were GM or coach.

Personally, if it were me and Burrow is fully cleared, he plays. And I would let him get some preseason stuff in as well. I mean, Carson's knee injury was much later in the season and he played the next preseason just fine. Why wouldI treat Joey B any different?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:43 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I agree with you in principle... What gives me pause is the idea that Joey B's first live game will be with a brand new O line against a notoriously blitz happy, defensive minded HC.

Live fire is one thing... being air-dropped into the jungle during Nam is another. I am honestly torn on it.

Zimmer may be defensive-minded, but I thought he ran fewer blitzes than most???
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 08:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Zimmer may be defensive-minded, but I thought he ran fewer blitzes than most???

Anyone with is going to blitz a QB with elite upside and suspect elusivitity, though right?  
Reply/Quote
I didn't read through the whole thread, but one of the things I don't think people immediately realize is that different QBs have different play styles that has an effect on how an OL performs.

A guy like Lamar Jackson with his elusiveness or Ben Roethlisberger with his tough-to-bring-down fatness can make an OL appear to be better than they are to the average football fan. And while guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (and Andy Dalton Mellow) with their quick releases also can have a positive impact on how an OL appears to perform, it does mean that an OL has to block differently to maximize their effectiveness than with someone like Big Ben or Lamar behind center.

Now Allen may not be as different a QB as Lamar is to Manning, but it still means that an OL that gels behind Brandon, might not look as good, not look as 'gellen,' when Burrow eventually takes over.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 11:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I didn't read through the whole thread, but one of the things I don't think people immediately realize is that different QBs have different play styles that has an effect on how an OL performs.

A guy like Lamar Jackson with his elusiveness or Ben Roethlisberger with his tough-to-bring-down fatness can make an OL appear to be better than they are to the average football fan. And while guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (and Andy Dalton Mellow) with their quick releases also can have a positive impact on how an OL appears to perform, it does mean that an OL has to block differently to maximize their effectiveness than with someone like Big Ben or Lamar behind center.

Now Allen may not be as different a QB as Lamar is to Manning, but it still means that an OL that gels behind Brandon, might not look as good, not look as 'gellen,' when Burrow eventually takes over.

Yeah, the OL has to gel with the QB so true.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Anyone with is going to blitz a QB with elite upside and suspect elusivitity, though right?  

Well, let's just say that I am sure Pollack is preparing to see a fair share of double A-gap blitzes:)
Reply/Quote