Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now, ANOTHER reporter predicts Bengals to sign Bates
Many dismissed the notion, due to the source of the prediction, when I posted about it a short while back. Now, Field Yates has chimed in with a prediction of Bates being re-signed by the Bengals.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/major-analyst-predicts-bengals-re-sign-jessie-bates-iii/ar-AA17vT1Y?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=49c3600a818f46e98edf4f907f4dde4c

Quote: Most people thought Jessie Bates III was as good as gone from Cincinnati once the Bengals couldn't agree with the safety on a contract extension.

Bates is now a free agent after playing on the franchise tag, but ESPN's Field Yates believes the Bengals will bring the safety back on a new deal.

"Yes," Yates said about Cincinnati re-signing Bates. "The Bengals are about to enter "good problem to have" territory, as the bill comes due as soon as this offseason with extensions for Burrow and Higgins. Ja'Marr Chase is extension-eligible in 2024, and planning has to start now. But Bates has made far too many plays during his tenure for the Bengals to let him go, including five picks over the past three seasons. It'll cost a deal near the top of the market for safeties to keep him, though."

Bates just posted a career-high 4 interceptions this season (11th leaguewide), along with 8 pass breakups.

It's hard to picture the safety returning, given the Bengals' financial needs elsewhere, but crazier things have happened.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
With Dax Hill it’s either Bates or Bell gone. Bates is younger maybe they decided to go with him. Who knows?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I would like to see him stay as long as he continues to play at this level.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: With Dax Hill it’s either Bates or Bell gone. Bates is younger maybe they decided to go with him. Who knows?

Someone stated in another thread that our team changed after the Bell hit on JJSS. a few years ago and I agree. Would like to see Bell stay here too. I know money only goes so far but I want to keep as many of these guys as possible.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many dismissed the notion, due to the source of the prediction, when I posted about it a short while back.  Now, Field Yates has chimed in with a prediction of Bates being re-signed by the Bengals.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/major-analyst-predicts-bengals-re-sign-jessie-bates-iii/ar-AA17vT1Y?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=49c3600a818f46e98edf4f907f4dde4c

The last sentence of that article says it, it's hard to imagine him getting re-signed. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: With Dax Hill it’s either Bates or Bell gone. Bates is younger maybe they decided to go with him. Who knows?

Why not keep all 3? You could use Dax as more of a hybrid safety/CB. Burrow is obviously cool with Bates and Chase knows Burrow better than anyone so if Burrow signs a team friendly deal they'll hopefully keep the whole band together.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Someone stated in another thread that our team changed after the Bell hit on JJSS. a few years ago and I agree. Would like to see Bell stay here too. I know money only goes so far but I want to keep as many of these guys as possible.
I agree with you.  A strong safety corps is an underrated commodity for good defenses.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would like to see him stay as long as he continues to play at this level.

I don’t think anyone WANTS him gone

There’s a reason Lou’s D works without any high end stars. Bates, Bell and Hendrickson are the main reasons this D gets stops
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I find it interesting how the article mentions him having 5 interceptions in the past 3 years and then goes on to say 4 of them were this year. I'm sorry, but if you want to be considered one of the best FS in the league you need to have more than 5 in 3 years. If he's truly siting back playing centerfield, he should have 5 interceptions every year. Please don't pay him unless he wants middle tier money. For every big play he makes, he misses 2. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure some will disagree.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: Why not keep all 3? You could use Dax as more of a hybrid safety/CB. Burrow is obviously cool with Bates and Chase knows Burrow better than anyone so if Burrow signs a team friendly deal they'll hopefully keep the whole band together.

I could see the Bengals doing exactly that, for at least this next season.  By my reckoning, Dax Hill is a fine prospect.  He is a strong tackler with great reaction twitch.  His coverage, particularly on boundary, could use another year of development.  The benefit of having such a deep Safety room, is that it allows the team to save a little cap on CB, generally a more expensive position group.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The last sentence of that article says it, it's hard to imagine him getting re-signed. 

That last sentence didn't fit with the entire premise coming before it. 

And the article also says, "It'll cost a deal near the top of the market for safeties to keep him, though."

Hard to see the Bengals investing so much money in both safeties given the looming contracts for other positions.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many dismissed the notion, due to the source of the prediction, when I posted about it a short while back.  Now, Field Yates has chimed in with a prediction of Bates being re-signed by the Bengals.

who is feild yates and why should we care what he says?    msn isnt exactly quality news source
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 02:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: who is feild yates and why should we care what he says?    msn isnt exactly quality news source

Field Yates has been with ESPN for many years.  MSN is just who posted this particular story.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I just don't see it with Bates. I did the last post season, but other than that...... I think he is overrated. He's not a game changer, and isn't anyone that flashes when you think of our Defense.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: Why not keep all 3? You could use Dax as more of a hybrid safety/CB. Burrow is obviously cool with Bates and Chase knows Burrow better than anyone so if Burrow signs a team friendly deal they'll hopefully keep the whole band together.

(02-15-2023, 01:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see the Bengals doing exactly that, for at least this next season.  By my reckoning, Dax Hill is a fine prospect.  He is a strong tackler with great reaction twitch.  His coverage, particularly on boundary, could use another year of development.  The benefit of having such a deep Safety room, is that it allows the team to save a little cap on CB, generally a more expensive position group.

The money puzzle will determine it. Personally the only business model that works is KC with a high priced QB and a few others is a bunch of starters on rookie contracts. Dax needs to play 100% of the snaps. CTB has to take Apple’s spot.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 01:50 PM)Mer Wrote: I find it interesting how the article mentions him having 5 interceptions in the past 3 years and then goes on to say 4 of them were this year. I'm sorry, but if you want to be considered one of the best FS in the league you need to have more than 5 in 3 years. If he's truly siting back playing centerfield, he should have 5 interceptions every year.  Please don't pay him unless he wants middle tier money. For every big play he makes, he misses 2. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure some will disagree.

Not going to disagree with you Mer. Need to keep Vonn Bell and see what we have in Daxton Hill at FS or even move CTB to FS
who can be a ballhawk and clearly has the build to play Safety. I think Bates played pretty well on the season and here and there
made some great plays, but in the AFCC he made some bad ones that cost us.

Bates will be paid like a top 5 Safety, he has the range for that pay, but so does Dax and Dax is a better tackler at least when 
looking at the 2 players coming into the NFL from college. Also, CTB playing so well as a rookie should really push Dax.
Reply/Quote
I just don't see it.

If they were willing to sign him long term (and he likewise), they would have done it one of the last two years when Burrow and Chase were still dirt cheap. The bills are going to start stacking on top of each other in the next 2 years, especially if they do indeed try to keep Higgins long term.
Reply/Quote
I think the better question is who does Bates get signed by?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I think whatever Bates will get from whomever signs him will be an overpay that they'll regret.... but Bates aside, I wonder if all this talk started up because of how many absolutely stupid penalties Dax got in his limited 2022 play time. Stupid penalties are the ones that bug me the most, because it's not a lack of talent which can't be helped. It's just dumb plays and mental mistakes, which absolutely can be helped.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Are you running 6 DBs a majority of the time?
Or are you just using Hill in certain packages?
Or are you benching one of the safeties or Hilton so Hill gets more snaps?

I ask because it seems incredibly irresponsible to spend a 1st round pick on a player who is going to play limited snaps in their 2nd year.
The less snaps they contribute on their rookie contract, the less valuable that rookie contract is.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote