Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now, ANOTHER reporter predicts Bengals to sign Bates
I still think it's unlikely that Bates is back. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yeah, long shot I’d have thought. Can’t see the Bengals paying what he’ll be offered elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I'll mirror what others have said. People talk of this 3 safety hybrid defense, and how flexible it is.. Why Dax should have played more, etc.

The problem is that if you do that you take Hilton off the field, who is a better corner and blitzer than the third safety. It's just not a good idea. What good is flexibility if you leave guys open?

Dax value over Bates is rookie compensation for the next 4 years. Period.
Reply/Quote
Maybe they are putting out there to leverage Bell. I.e., if Bell demands 10 mil plus, they might as well shell out a few extra mil for Bates.

I assume he leaves as well. I'm still not as down on him as some. I think he plays that center field spot as well as any safety in the league. H's ability to cover the deep part of the field and limit big plays gives the defense more flexibility.

I know the team has some tough decisions ahead, but I'm dreading the possible departure of 2 starting safeties in the near future.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 07:53 PM)samhain Wrote: Maybe they are putting out there to leverage Bell.  I.e., if Bell demands 10 mil plus, they might as well shell out a few extra mil for Bates.  

I assume he leaves as well.  I'm still not as down on him as some.  I think he plays that center field spot as well as any safety in the league.  H's ability to cover the deep part of the field and limit big plays gives the defense more flexibility.  

I know the team has some tough decisions ahead, but I'm dreading the possible departure of 2 starting safeties in the near future.

I kinda doubt this theory, I believe Bates issue is much more about guaranteed money than salary..... if it wasn't you would be dead on with this.

Reply/Quote