Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now You'll REALLY have to Read it for the Articles
Playboy to stop publishing nude pictures in the magazine, citing competition from the internet.

I guess this makes sense. I can't tell you the last time I actually looked at an issue of the magazine, but I do remember it being extremely well written. And this is a pretty clear example of how heavily the internet has changed society/culture. Why would a youngster go searching for old issues of Playboy when everything he'd ever want to see (or not want to see) is available on his phone?
Reply/Quote
This story was one of the bigger surprises of the day but the reason for the change is logical. Playboy has made subtle changes to its business model over the years and this one probably will turn out to be a good one.

Even as a kid though, I was impressed by the quality of the writing in Playboy. And as an adult the writing continued to impress me. I missed the articles way more than the pictorials when I dropped my subscription. The pictorials were good too, of course, but anyone who condemned Playboy or thought actually reading it was a joke clearly never picked up a single issue. I've known numerous well educated men and women who have read the magazine for decades.

In a similar phenomenon, the largest gay bar in my area recently closed. The owner said in so many words - we've won: we are accepted everywhere we go and there were as many straight people in my club as gay people, so the reason I started the place - to give gays a safe place to socialize - is no longer valid.

So skin magazines and gay bars are no longer needed. This is called progress. It should be noted that both of these trends - it being easier to view a nude and it being acceptable to be gay - would never have happened if it weren't for evil liberals like Hugh Hefner, me, and the billions more like us. So, if you hate nudity and you hate sexuality and you want shame, guilt, and persecution of those who are different, keep clinging to those values. But it won't matter. In the long run liberal thought wins every time.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I hated dropping my subscription because I really did like the articles. There aren't a lot of publications where you can read a short story by somebody by Stephen King, read an unedited interview with Tina Fey and hear what she really thinks, learn the proper length of a tie and find out what's going on half a world away with an in-depth story and not just something salacious for the headlines. But with a daughter in the house, I didn't want the magazine laying around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
End of an era .

RIP the nudey mag .
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 09:43 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Playboy to stop publishing nude pictures in the magazine, citing competition from the internet.

I guess this makes sense. I can't tell you the last time I actually looked at an issue of the magazine, but I do remember it being extremely well written. And this is a pretty clear example of how heavily the internet has changed society/culture. Why would a youngster go searching for old issues of Playboy when everything he'd ever want to see (or not want to see) is available on his phone?

you can still get their app... or an online account... but yeah its everywhere and free if you know where to look without getting a virus lol
Reply/Quote
mind=blown
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Same thing happened to strip joints around Toronto when massage parlors opened up everywhere. they all started closing down because for about the same amount of money, you can get what you really want instead of paying 10 bux for a beer and 20 bux a dance.

progress gentlemen.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I just saw this in the paper I think yesterday.  I was already having a crappy day and was reading the paper while eating and saw this.  I immediately texted a friend and told her about it and said "well today has officially gone to shit!"  She said thanks I needed a laugh, I said I wasn't laughing. :angry:

I understand the decision and even agree with it, but I am sad still.  Playboy is nostalgic for me, I use to swipe them from the ol' man when I could.  My father was an artist, and worked in commercial art (think "Mad Men") as a career, but also painted as a hobby (I've got some great work from him).  Anyway I remember I went to work with him one day and in his office was a trunk.  That's right you guessed it...full of Playboy's Big Grin   I remember feeling like if I were to die that day it'd be OK. LOL

Anyway like Lucie said it's the end of an era.  And like xxlt said it's just not needed any more.  I'll still miss it though....

Even the articles. Ninja
Reply/Quote
To me the problem here is that Playboy was the only publication to actually get the ladies you truly want to see nude.

Sure you can go online and find some photo from a celebrities hacked phone that shows a nip hanging out, but Playboy would give up to $1m to get the ladies you wanted to see do a full spread.

As Bob Dylan once said, "the times, they are a changing".
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 01:50 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yeah I just saw this in the paper I think yesterday.  I was already having a crappy day and was reading the paper while eating and saw this.  I immediately texted a friend and told her about it and said "well today has officially gone to shit!"  She said thanks I needed a laugh, I said I wasn't laughing. :angry:

I understand the decision and even agree with it, but I am sad still.  Playboy is nostalgic for me, I use to swipe them from the ol' man when I could.  My father was an artist, and worked in commercial art (think "Mad Men") as a career, but also painted as a hobby (I've got some great work from him).  Anyway I remember I went to work with him one day and in his office was a trunk.  That's right you guessed it...full of Playboy's Big Grin   I remember feeling like if I were to die that day it'd be OK. LOL

Anyway like Lucie said it's the end of an era.  And like xxlt said it's just not needed any more.  I'll still miss it though....

Even the articles. Ninja

Swiping your dads nudey mag is a right of passage
Reply/Quote
Plain and simple. This sucks!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 10:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Swiping your dads nudey mag is a right of passage

Absofrickinlutely!
Reply/Quote
And where is this supposed "internet nudity" he speaks of? Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2015, 09:33 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: And where is this supposed "internet nudity" he speaks of?   Ninja

Your mom's web page...

LMAO Couldn't resist!
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2015, 04:37 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Absofrickinlutely!

What's a young man to do now? It's like they are taking away the steps to being a man.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2015, 12:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What's a young man to do now?  It's like they are taking away the steps to being a man.

Apparently there is this new thing, something about an internet.  Apparently it was invented by some guy named Al, you could blame him I guess.

It's the age of the internets, nudey mags time is up, and brothels are like so six decades ago. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Man, what's next? They gonna stop making "Bigguns"?! LOL

(Married With Children fans will get it)
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 09:09 AM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Man, what's next? They gonna stop making "Bigguns"?! LOL

Will "Bigguns" go away? NO MA'AM!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2015, 12:59 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Apparently there is this new thing, something about an internet.  Apparently it was invented by some guy named Al, you could blame him I guess.

It's the age of the internets, nudey mags time is up, and brothels are like so six decades ago. Ninja

Lamar odom would disagree with you on brothels

I feel like men are losing their edge. Everything comes so easy now these days. No one appreciates the process. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 09:09 AM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Man, what's next? They gonna stop making "Bigguns"?! LOL

Love this show
Reply/Quote