Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now the true test begins
It's great the Bengals beat the Steelers, but let's be honest...the Steelers are a bottom-tier team this year.
The real test for getting back to the playoffs and showing people that this team really is a contender again begins with the Titans this coming Sunday.

The Bengals' upcoming schedule has all but one team with a winning record and also currently slotted in the playoffs.
The Browns are the only team that isn't, and they have had the Bengals' number the past few years.

Can the Bengals get enough wins between @TEN, KC, CLE, @TB, @NE, BUF, and BAL to get into the playoffs?
Will getting to the playoffs with this extremely tough remaining schedule be enough to convince people the Bengals can legitimately contend again? Or are there certain teams they need to beat to prove that?

The playoff push begins now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, it does, but tip your hat to the steelers because of their de....on second thought, F*** them. I hate them. Win just enough games so you don't get a top pick and live life below .500 for the next 20 years. Assbags.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's great the Bengals beat the Steelers, but let's be honest...the Steelers are a bottom-tier team this year.
The real test for getting back to the playoffs and showing people that this team really is a contender again begins with the Titans this coming Sunday.

The Bengals' upcoming schedule has all but one team with a winning record and also currently slotted in the playoffs.
The Browns are the only team that isn't, and they have had the Bengals' number the past few years.

Can the Bengals get enough wins between @TEN, KC, CLE, @TB, @NE, BUF, and BAL to get into the playoffs?
Will getting to the playoffs with this extremely tough remaining schedule be enough to convince people the Bengals can legitimately contend again? Or are there certain teams they need to beat to prove that?

What a schedule. Incredibly tough. If the Bengals make it to the playoffs with this schedule, they've really earned it. And they go from warm Tampa Bay one week to freezing New England the next week? 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's great the Bengals beat the Steelers, but let's be honest...the Steelers are a bottom-tier team this year.

This is when we learn what this team is made of. 

In a sane world, we'll be able to beat Cleveland, Tompa Bay, New England and Baltimore at the minimum, which would put us at 10-7 and hopefully in the playoffs. But I think this team, and especially this offense, is fully capable of going toe to toe with Tennessee, KC and Buffalo (likelihood of winning in descending order, respectively).

It is really good that our toughest match ups, including both divisions games, will be at home. That may end up being the difference in a few of them.

This team is trending way up and currently looks like the 2nd or maybe 3rd best offense in the entire NFL (behind KC and maybe Miami or Buffalo). Joe Burrrow is playing incredibly and the coaches have been designing and calling good game plans.

Chase coming back either next week or the following week may end up being the X factor we need to really take off into the stratosphere. 

The next 7 weeks will either be exhilarating or terribly depressing. I'm hoping for the former :) .
Reply/Quote

Four of those seven games are against the current division leaders lol (Bill's are still tied for the divison lead I believe).

Bengals have a tough road ahead of them needing at least 4 more wins. At least the schedule is like 2 road 2 home 2 road 2 home.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:42 AM)Synric Wrote: Four of those seven games are against the current division leaders lol (Bill's are still tied for the divison lead I believe).

Bengals have a tough road ahead of them needing at least 4 more wins. At least the schedule is like 2 road 2 home 2 road 2 home.

Yep, the Bills are tied with the Dolphins right now.

The saving grace of the rest of the season is that MIA and BUF both have 3 more divisional games while NE and Jets have two (each against MIA and BUF).

I'm putting the least likely wins as KC and BUF, although they are home games and Bengals found a way to beat KC twice last year, so it's not 0% chance.
TEN I think is next for least likely unless the Bengals can get up on them early to reduce Henry's rushes. I know the Bengals did beat them in the playoffs, but Henry was just activated the day of or the day before that playoff game recovering from a big injury. I think he's going to do better against the Bengals this time around.
If the Bengals can't beat KC, BUF, or TEN, they could still make the playoffs, but they'd have to get at least 3 wins between BAL, CLE, TB, and NE, which will not be an easy feat.

Don't rule out the Chargers either. While they are currently behind the Bengals at 5-5, they get to play IND, DEN, ARI, LAR, LV, all of whom have losing records. Their only true difficult games left are TEN and MIA. I could see them going 5-2 the rest of the way and getting a WC spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is when we learn what this team is made of. 

In a sane world, we'll be able to beat Cleveland, Tompa Bay, New England and Baltimore at the minimum, which would put us at 10-7 and hopefully in the playoffs. But I think this team, and especially this offense, is fully capable of going toe to toe with Tennessee, KC and Buffalo (likelihood of winning in descending order, respectively).

It is really good that our toughest match ups, including both divisions games, will be at home. That may end up being the difference in a few of them.

This team is trending way up and currently looks like the 2nd or maybe 3rd best offense in the entire NFL (behind KC and maybe Miami or Buffalo). Joe Burrrow is playing incredibly and the coaches have been designing and calling good game plans.

Chase coming back either next week or the following week may end up being the X factor we need to really take off into the stratosphere. 

The next 7 weeks will either be exhilarating or terribly depressing. I'm hoping for the former :) .

While they've put up yards and points, keep in mind who they played since the Ravens game...all teams with losing records, most with bad defenses.
ATL - 27th in points allowed
NO - 25th in points allowed
CLE - 31st in points allowed
CAR - 20th in points allowed
PIT - 26th in points allowed

TEN, BUF, TB, NE, and BAL are all Top 10 in Points Allowed currently.

Score on these teams and it will be more impressive than scoring on teams who are 20th or worse in Points Allowed.
Chase back should help in that department though (hopefully).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Truth, but I was glad to see the team get two games above .500 rather than the ping-pong-balling back and forth of win, lose, win, lose to remain at .500
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While they've put up yards and points, keep in mind who they played since the Ravens game...all teams with losing records, most with bad defenses.

Score on these teams and it will be more impressive than scoring on teams who are 20th or worse in Points Allowed.

Baltimore put up a paltry 13 points against Carolina. Cincy hung 42 on them
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Baltimore put up a paltry 13 points against Carolina. Cincy hung 42 on them

And BAL put up 23 on CLE while the Bengals only put up 13.

I'm just saying that I think the Bengals being a Top 5 scoring offense so far this season is a good part because of the teams they've played, and it's going to be harder scoring the rest of the way against good teams.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And BAL put up 23 on CLE while the Bengals only put up 13.

I'm just saying that I think the Bengals being a Top 5 scoring offense so far this season is a good part because of the teams they've played, and it's going to be harder scoring the rest of the way against good teams.

And much like last year, I see a Bengals team that is ascending coming into the back end of the schedule while other teams are descending. It's all about peaking at the right time.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And much like last year, I see a Bengals team that is ascending coming into the back end of the schedule while other teams are descending. It's all about peaking at the right time.

We'll find out, I guess.
I'm just naturally less optimistic than you are.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And much like last year, I see a Bengals team that is ascending coming into the back end of the schedule while other teams are descending. It's all about peaking at the right time.

(11-21-2022, 01:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We'll find out, I guess.
I'm just naturally less optimistic than you are.

I wanted to do a thread this week with a title like "Who are the 2022 Bengals?". These last 8 (7 now) games will be telling. Will the Bengals go 4-4 to finish the season just miss the playoffs take second in the Divison and a late teens draft pick worst case scenario. If they go 5-3 (4-3 now) they could sneak into the playoffs as a late seed. Best case would be a 7-1 or 6-2 with a shot at the first seed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I wanted to do a thread this week with a title like "Who are the 2022 Bengals?". These last 8 (7 now) games will be telling. Will the Bengals go 4-4 to finish the season just miss the playoffs take second in the Divison and a late teens draft pick worst case scenario. If they go 5-3 (4-3 now) they could sneak into the playoffs as a late seed. Best case would be a 7-1 or 6-2 with a shot at the first seed.

My most negative guess is Bengals only get 2 more wins, starting with a loss to TEN this coming weekend.

My most positive guess is 5 wins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And BAL put up 23 on CLE while the Bengals only put up 13.

You can only put up points against the teams you play, right, and it's obvious that the best scoring defenses usually will hold most all of their opponents down.That's why stats are so skewed so many times. It's like the .300 hitter in baseball that kills the rest of the the league but is a combined .175 against the top 10 leaders in ERA.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I wanted to do a thread this week with a title like "Who are the 2022 Bengals?". These last 8 (7 now) games will be telling. Will the Bengals go 4-4 to finish the season just miss the playoffs take second in the Divison and a late teens draft pick worst case scenario. If they go 5-3 (4-3 now) they could sneak into the playoffs as a late seed. Best case would be a 7-1 or 6-2 with a shot at the first seed.

I really feel they need to make a run to the SB this year. The team is stacked and with depth. One major season-ending injury is all so far, and its a big one, but at a position that was a focus of high draft picks. Next year we could see a much better Cleveland team in our division, a Ravens team that might actually draft a good WR to pair with Jackson, an improved Steelers team, and the Bengals soon will have to start paying its premier players. I sure don't want to be looking at draft picks and next year.

I really feel the pressure, as a fan, that they make a run these last seven games. The schedule is brutal. This will be intense.
Reply/Quote

But let's also be honest that it's also a huge rival and division game and, also, it's really hard to win in the NFL week to week.NY Giants thought they had an easy one yesterday. Atl .blew the doors off of the 49rs on the road a few weeks ago, Carolina blows TB out a few weeks ago. Jacksonville blows the LA Chargers out. Philly has to come from behind against a cluster Indy. team with a has been QB.Point is that the worst teams can play like ball-busters any week.

Gotta win those so-called easy games to have the luxury of not having to win all the tough ones BUT I like the fact that 4 of their last 6 games are at home no matter who they play.
Reply/Quote
3 more wins minimum for a chance at a WC slot... but realistically you need 4 more wins.

Best chances
Titans, Browns, Tampa, @ I think Ravens lock up the division and they rest their starters vs. us in week 17.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While they've put up yards and points, keep in mind who they played since the Ravens game...all teams with losing records, most with bad defenses.

I generally think this is a valid point to bring up. I have a A question and two observations:

Observation 1:
PIT defense is undeniably much, much better with TJ Watt in the lineup. Having missed all but three games this season, I think they are perhaps ranked significantly differently if he's healthy all year.

Observation 2:
Same as my first point, but with Jamarr Chase and the Bengals offense. 3 out of the 5 games you mentioned were lacking the Chase factor - he is a game breaker, no bones about it. Getting him back is adding to an offense that has already been putting up 30+ points of late and hitting their stride.

Question: Are these current rankings, or the rankings going into when we played them? That can make a difference (perhaps marginal), especially when we absolutely blow them out as in the case of Atlanta or Carolina.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My most negative guess is Bengals only get 2 more wins, starting with a loss to TEN this coming weekend.

My most positive guess is 5 wins.

My 2cents is they need 5 wins out of those 7 games to insure playoffs. Yes they might get in with 10 wins but, the entire AFC east is still in the hunt. You can't write the Chargers off yet either.

They really need all the AFC wins they can get, they really, really need to beat Cleveland next time. 

The Ravens most likely will win the division. Mostly cake schedule rest of the way but I still feel they're not that great. The last game of the year could be for all the marbles but that's a bit of a long shot considering.
Reply/Quote