Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nugent staying yet again
(11-29-2016, 02:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: They just want to see how long of a missed xp streak he will have.

Could be a record setting streak !

It already is.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 11:17 AM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: The reason you make the move now is because by not making a move you are sending a message to the team and potential free agents that mediocrity is OK and acceptable.  You cut Nugent on principle.  He has lost the team games and deflated the team countless times this year.  The off-season has essentially already started and you have to at least give the illusion you care if you want others to car.  

Yeah okay, I see the point. 
I want to get rid of Nugent too, sure, I would be very angry if we went into the next sesaon with him. I'm not so sure if players really think the way you believe they think, though. Don't know if the players' perception changes much if we fire him right now in an already lost season a few weeks early. I feel it's a good enough sign if the Bengals fired Nugent way before the start of free agency. Do - serious question - other teams fire personnel in advance in similar situations?

- The maybe bigger point might be (but what do I know) - if Marvin is indeed gone after the season, it would make some sense to let the new HC deal with the kicker situation - e.g. pick a new kicker. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 02:46 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah okay, I see the point. 
I want to get rid of Nugent too, sure, I would be very angry if we went into the next sesaon with him. I'm not so sure if players really think the way you believe they think, though. Don't know if the players' perception changes much if we fire him right now in an already lost season a few weeks early. I feel it's a good enough sign if the Bengals fired Nugent way before the start of free agency. Do - serious question - other teams fire personnel in advance in similar situations?

- The maybe bigger point might be (but what do I know) - if Marvin is indeed gone after the season, it would make some sense to let the new HC deal with the kicker situation - e.g. pick a new kicker. 

Do you mean in losing seasons? Or just firing personnel during the season?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:26 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Snapper, holder, and kicker need to build chemistry, so they probably wait till off season to replace nugent.

Yeah, gotta have that chemistry, otherwise you'll do something embarrassing. Like miss 3 straight PATs.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:19 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Do you mean in losing seasons? Or just firing personnel during the season?

I mean in in already lost seasons. 
(When the season isn't lost yet, there might be quite a lot personnel changes within a football team, sure. Bills fired their OC. And I can remember some changes at kicker in these circumstances, when the team is still in the race and needs an instant upgrade/approvement. But - that would be a different situation.)
Reply/Quote
“A missed PAT, those are things that affect the football team and affect us and our opportunity, but now we are where we are” -Marvin Lewis

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/lewis-vague-status-kicker-nugent/1deEbxMRR1H07oZVcgnOIL/

What does that even mean?? Has there ever been a more Lewis-like answer? All that was missing was a few giggles and the "we just have to make more plays" comment.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 11:17 AM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: The reason you make the move now is because by not making a move you are sending a message to the team and potential free agents that mediocrity is OK and acceptable.  You cut Nugent on principle.  He has lost the team games and deflated the team countless times this year.  The off-season has essentially already started and you have to at least give the illusion you care if you want others to car.  

I completely get what you are saying, but think if you wanted to show that mediocrity is not acceptable, you would have sent him packing weeks ago when there was still something at stake.  Or last year, or the year before.  Changing kickers now is not going to change perception about this franchise.  At least not in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
If he misses any kicks this coming game at home, fans should give a standing ovation praising the non-move.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 11:18 AM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: Go for 2 every time

After a couple beers, I made that comment.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 02:46 PM)hollodero Wrote:   Do - serious question - other teams fire personnel in advance in similar situations?

It depends. If by similar situations, you mean teams that were contenders the previous season but are very far from contenders a year later, I honestly don't know how often that happens. Every team has down years where you have to bring up new guys or adjust to new scheme or whatever. This largely isn't that, which is what makes it hard to put a finger on. Most of the core players are here, including Nugent who wasn't horrible last year.

But, in general, teams fire players and coaches as the season goes if it means improvement. Case in point, the Pats traded a guy who appeared to be getting the job done on the field because they thought it was the best move for the team. That's not the same as firing, no, but it's still getting rid of a guy to make a team better. If Nugent can't do arguably the easiest part of his job, then making the team better probably involves somebody that isn't him.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 02:38 AM)Trademark Wrote: Marvin Lewis asked if the #Bengals will bring in any kickers this week to challenge Nugent: "No. We are not." Nugent stays.

— Joe Danneman (@FOX19Joe)

Wow this is such a joke

at this point it doesn't even matter...  now if nuge is here to start next season it will matter greatly.  Right now hes just helping us get a better draft pick
Reply/Quote
You know we could always vote nugent to the probowl..... he is on the ballot apparently hahahaha
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 06:58 PM)Benton Wrote: It depends. If by similar situations, you mean teams that were contenders the previous season but are very far from contenders a year later, I honestly don't know how often that happens. Every team has down years where you have to bring up new guys or adjust to new scheme or whatever. This largely isn't that, which is what makes it hard to put a finger on. Most of the core players are here, including Nugent who wasn't horrible last year.

But, in general, teams fire players and coaches as the season goes if it means improvement. Case in point, the Pats traded a guy who appeared to be getting the job done on the field because they thought it was the best move for the team. That's not the same as firing, no, but it's still getting rid of a guy to make a team better. If Nugent can't do arguably the easiest part of his job, then making the team better probably involves somebody that isn't him.

Oh I do not argue firing Nugent. I might argue if it's a huge necessity do do it right now. Since it couldn't save the season and there are probably no real top-notch kickers out there at this point. By doing it at the end of the season, you could get a kicker from another team or think about drafting one/adding one after the draft.

What I meant was: Did any other team recently fire and replace a kicker during the season when the season already was lost.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 07:18 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh I do not argue firing Nugent. I might argue if it's a huge necessity do do it right now. Since it couldn't save the season and there are probably no real top-notch kickers out there at this point. By doing it at the end of the season, you could get a kicker from another team or think about drafting one/adding one after the draft.

What I meant was: Did any other team recently fire and replace a kicker during the season when the season already was lost.

Not sure if it was completely lost, but the Texans moved on from their kicker last year mid season I believe.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 07:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Not sure if it was completely lost, but the Texans moved on from their kicker last year mid season I believe.  

They made the change end of September. Way too early for calling the season a lost one. 
Reply/Quote
Well, if I didn't do my job properly, I would be fired. So why hasn't Nugent? Wait, Mike Brown says it all.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:28 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, if I didn't do my job properly, I would be fired. So why hasn't Nugent? Wait, Mike Brown says it all.

Maybe we're just working for the wrong people.  We need the job security a job with the Bengals brings.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: They made the change end of September. Way too early for calling the season a lost one. 

Ok.  Just saying.  Changing kickers happens.  We all know the real reason it isn't happening here.  Not sure what the debate is at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 09:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Ok.  Just saying.  Changing kickers happens.  We all know the real reason it isn't happening here.  Not sure what the debate is at this point. 

Yeah, kind of lost track too, my question was a bit pointless. In the first place I tried to reason that I think it's not all that important to make the change at kicker right now; that after regular season might be the better time to do it, or not a worse time.

Then again, sure, I kind of get and share the overall frustration. I just decided to wait what happens after the season before I get too angry. If they fire Nugent now or after regular season is a minor issue to me, especially in comparison. If they wouldn't do it at all, now that would make me angry too.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 10:55 AM)hollodero Wrote: What would be the point in replacing Nugent right now. A new kicker won't save the season. And what is out there right now on the streets waiting to be our long-term answer?
Isn't offseason a better time to evaluate the market and get a solid kicker, compared to a hasty desperation pick in midseason.

No a new kicker will not save this season.  We all know that.  But perhaps sending a message that mediocrity(and Im being generous here) will not be tolerated will reach other guys.  Complacent guys that have no fear of losing their job typically dont end up being productive employees
Reply/Quote