Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of Explosive Plays Allowed by Team
This is insanely bad:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
I don't even know what Anarumo's MO is. His defense is doing nothing well.
At least with Austin, we knew turnovers were the emphasis. Like a bend-don't-break philosophy.

With Anarumo, the Bengals are:
last in yards/game allowed
31st in sacks
last in INTs
24th in FFs
21st in Points Allowed
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In the game threads, I see some people write 'Bend but not break'...but man we give up A LOT more big plays than the next worst team.

The interception thing I can kind of see in that our CB's don't have great career Int numbers...but man we're bad.

Getting AJ, Jonah, Glenn, etc...won't fix this defense.
Reply/Quote
I dont know what to think about Lou. He's likable, the players seems to like him. Talks a good game of course. He was definitely handed a terrible roster for D considering we have zero NFL quality LBs. If they say LB is the QB of the defense than its no wonder we are screwed. What I want to know about Lou is does he plan on drafting and signing FA's around this goofy fulltime 2LB scheme or if he is only doing it because of the lack of talent and plans to build a real defense via draft and FA? How about some new LBs and some better depth behind them? If he wants to keep running the scheme he's running now, Id say cut him loose and hire someone else. If he just needs to build the defense and restock the talent especially at LB, then Im ok with another season, but that season better show improvement or he is out imo.

I was hoping a new DC could re-energize the defense that made history last year, but watching our players especially LBs, its pretty clear that we were historically bad for a reason last year and drafting Pratt wasnt going to fix it in a year. Our players lose most of their 1 on 1 matchups and just get flat out beat most of the time. We need to be more physical on D and we need a defensive leader like Burfict tried and failed to be. Its hard to totally write Lou off watching our LBs play. Coaches need talented players to work with.
Reply/Quote
Our scheme seems to be subpar and players have regressed.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 07:18 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I was hoping a new DC could re-energize the defense that made history last year, 

I think the new coaches did re-energize the players, but stuff like that is hard to sustain through a grueling NFL season.  It's like in Pac Man when you eat a power pellet...I mean, the ghosts turn blue and you can eat them and the game has really changed it's tone and you're on top of the Pac-world but that stuff wears off pretty fast and you're back to being on the run before you know it.

Actually, a new coaching staff is more like heroin...sure, it makes you feel good for a while but then...well...um, I'm losing my train of thought here.  
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't even know what Anarumo's MO is. His defense is doing nothing well.
At least with Austin, we knew turnovers were the emphasis. Like a bend-don't-break philosophy.

With Anarumo, the Bengals are:
last in yards/game allowed
31st in sacks
last in INTs
24th in FFs
21st in Points Allowed

21st in points allowed is GOOD. If the offense could stay on the field AND score.. we would not be 0 and a demoralizing 8 games.
Reply/Quote
Anarumo is garbage.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 09:57 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 21st in points allowed is GOOD. If the offense could stay on the field AND score.. we would not be 0 and a demoralizing 8 games.

No it isn't. That's literally in the bottom half of the league.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 09:57 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 21st in points allowed is GOOD. If the offense could stay on the field AND score.. we would not be 0 and a demoralizing 8 games.

They've given up a near historic amount of rushing yards too...which is crazy. Teams mainly run against us...but we've given up by far the most big plays in the league.

The defense is terrible. The offense is terrible.

This isn't a case of one causing the other to be bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 10:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: No it isn't. That's literally in the bottom half of the league.

What a downtrodden fanbase we are.

When we're 21st in something we think it's good! Just because it isn't 32nd!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2019, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the new coaches did re-energize the players, but stuff like that is hard to sustain through a grueling NFL season.  It's like in Pac Man when you eat a power pellet...I mean, the ghosts turn blue and you can eat them and the game has really changed it's tone and you're on top of the Pac-world but that stuff wears off pretty fast and you're back to being on the run before you know it.

Actually, a new coaching staff is more like heroin...sure, it makes you feel good for a while but then...well...um, I'm losing my train of thought here.  

Being re-energized only lasts for so long. In the NFL, it's probably for a month, maybe two at best. When you haven't won a game halfway through the season, it's tough to buy in.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 11:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Being re-energized only lasts for so long. In the NFL, it's probably for a month, maybe two at best. When you haven't won a game halfway through the season, it's tough to buy in.

Yes. There's a halo around new coaches too where everything they do at 1st seems exciting. Remember how the practice field clock was a stoke of genius that was going to lead to better game management? Remember how the easy camp was going to keep guys fresh?

I think after time, players know if coaches are good or bad. And at 0-8, the players know this staff is not capable.
Reply/Quote

Offense gave the defense a 4th quarter lead three times this year and they blew it every time.

Anyone who thinks our defense is playing well is clueless.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense gave the defense a 4th quarter lead three times this year and they blew it every time.

You are talking the Bills Jags and Hawks right?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense gave the defense a 4th quarter lead three times this year and they blew it every time.

(11-08-2019, 01:45 PM)Synric Wrote: You are talking the Bills Jags and Hawks right?

Let's break down a couple of Freds games here.

Bengals vs Bill's 17 - 21
In the first half The Bengals offense had a total 19 plays for 32  yards on 7 possessions with 2 fumbles. Bill's scored once off a fumble and once off a bad punt.

0-14 Bill's at half.

Second Half.
Bengals Punt 
Bill's Punt
Bill's intercept Andy
Bengals intercept Allen
Bengals 3 plays 22 yards Touchdown 7-14
Bill's punt
Bengals 11 plays 82 yards Touchdown Best drive of game. 14-14
Bill's punt
Bengals 9 plays 60 yards field goal 17-14
Bill's Touchdown 17-21
Bengals offense with a chance to win drive all the way to the Bill's 22 and on a 3rd and 5 Andy throws an interception to lose the game.

Offense lost that game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127915

Bengals vs Jaguars 17-27
We will start at the end of the 3rs beginning of the 4th. Score is 10-9 Bengals

Jaguars Touchdown 10 - 17
Bengals Interception
Jaguars Punt
Bengals Interception Pick 6 10 - 24
Bengals Interception
Jaguars Field Goal 10 - 27
Bengals Garbage time Touchdown 17 - 27
Jaguars Kneel game over.

Offense lost that game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127945
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Let's break down a couple of Freds games here.

Bengals vs Bill's 17 - 21
In the first half The Bengals offense had a total 19 plays for 32  yards on 7 possessions with 2 fumbles. Bill's scored once off a fumble and once off a bad punt.

0-14 Bill's at half.

Second Half.
Bengals Punt 
Bill's Punt
Bill's intercept Andy
Bengals intercept Allen
Bengals 3 plays 22 yards Touchdown 7-14
Bill's punt
Bengals 11 plays 82 yards Touchdown Best drive of game. 14-14
Bill's punt
Bengals 9 plays 60 yards field goal 17-14
Bill's Touchdown 17-21
Bengals offense with a chance to win drive all the way to the Bill's 22 and on a 3rd and 5 Andy throws an interception to lose the game.

Offense lost that game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127915

Bengals vs Jaguars 17-27
We will start at the end of the 3rs beginning of the 4th. Score is 10-9 Bengals

Jaguars Touchdown 10 - 17
Bengals Interception
Jaguars Punt
Bengals Interception Pick 6 10 - 24
Bengals Interception
Jaguars Field Goal 10 - 27
Bengals Garbage time Touchdown 17 - 27
Jaguars Kneel game over.

Offense lost that game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127945

I see the defense blowing fourth quarter leads in both games.

How does that make the offense responsible for the loss?

I say both our offense and defense stink.  Our defense just happens to be among the worst ever.  Even more horrible than the offense.

(11-08-2019, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And by horrible I mean

32nd in yards per game
32nd in yards per play
32nd in QB pressures
32nd in QB hits
32nd in interceptions
32nd in pass yards per completion.
32nd in rush yards per game (by a huge 27+ yard margin over the next worst)
32nd in rush yards per attempt
31st in yards per drive
31st in sacks
31st in passing yards per attempt
30th in forced turnovers
30th in rush tds
29th in percentage scoring drives.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 02:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see the defense blowing fourth quarter leads in both games.

How does that make the offense responsible for the loss?

I say both our offense and defense stink.  Our defense just happens to be among the worst ever.  Even more horrible than the offense.

In the Bill's game the Bengals offense did squat for an entire half repeatedly handing the ball back over to the other team and the only 2 scores the Bill's could muster was off 2 short fields after a turnover and a bad punt. They allowed 1 TD in the second half and were a big part of 7 points the offense made. The offense had a chance to win but failed.

In the Jaguars game the offense had 3 interceptions...3 in the 4th quarter including a pick 6...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 03:08 PM)Synric Wrote: In the Bill's game the Bengals offense did squat for an entire half repeatedly handing the ball back over to the other team and the only 2 scores the Bill's could muster was off 2 short fields after a turnover and a bad punt. They allowed 1 TD in the second half and were a big part of 7 points the offense made. The offense had a chance to win but failed.

The defense also sucked.  Bills owned the clock by rushing 36 times for 175 yards.  Overall the gained 416 yards and 25 first downs.  They had two drives in the red zone fail because of fumbles.  One was a bad snap that you can not even credit the Bengals defense with forcing.

Just because the offense fails to score AFTER THE DEFENSE BLOWS THE LEAD, does not mean the offense is the reason we lost.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2019, 03:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The defense also sucked.  Bills owned the clock by rushing 36 times for 175 yards.  Overall the gained 416 yards and 25 first downs.  

Just because the offense fails to score AFTER THE DEFENSE BLOWS THE LEAD, does not mean the offense is the reason we lost.

First half 19 plays for 32 yards 2 fumbles 7 possessions....

You control a football game by scoring points not by repeatedly handing the ball back to the opposing offense and expecting them to not move the football. It was a miracle that it was only a 14 point game at half.

.....aaaaaand 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter including a pick 6 vs the Jaguars.

Reply/Quote