Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-Line
So, just curious...If Boling can play LT as decent as he did last year would you think he could slide out to RT? He has the size and is a good run blocker. My thoughts are if you can solidify the LT, Center and RT spots with top players that the 2 interior spots could be fought out as we seem to have more potential talent at the Guard position.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:49 AM)spazz70 Wrote: So, just curious...If Boling can play LT as decent as he did last year would you think he could slide out to RT?  He has the size and is a good run blocker.   My thoughts are if you can solidify the LT, Center and RT spots with top players that the 2 interior spots could be fought out as we seem to have more potential talent at the Guard position.

I mean he probably could but I highly doubt that'll happen. Better to leave him at the position he plays best, LG, and let Fisher and Hart battle for the RT spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:55 AM)Domata94 Wrote: I mean he probably could but I highly doubt that'll happen. Better to leave him at the position he plays best, LG, and let Fisher and Hart battle for the RT spot.

I agree on leaving Boling where he's been since day 1, goes along with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Additionally, we're already going to have 4/5 different starters on the OL, no need to create more chaos by going 5/5.  You keep the one piece of consistency that you know you can rely on in place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree on leaving Boling where he's been since day 1, goes along with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Additionally, we're already going to have 4/5 different starters on the OL, no need to create more chaos by going 5/5.  You keep the one piece of consistency that you know you can rely on in place.

Since we only get what the media perpetuates, along with rumors and uneducated guesses, it's good to remember the teams actually know a lot more about who can play where the best. We have to trust the brain trust and process at some point. I believe our FO has a plan, whether we like it or not. Now is a good time to spend learning all about the new guys, do a little fishin', play some golf, travel some etc until camp opens.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I am comfortable with the line of Glenn-Boling-Price-Westerman/Redmond-Fisher. The weakness on this line is the right side and it may become more glaring as the season goes on. It also may be that they improve and become very good. I know it was only a few games and I hate using such a small sample size, but I thought both Westerman and Redmond showed well last year. That said, the left side is solid and as a whole, the unit better now than it was last year. If Fisher struggles, we can help him with a TE and back. I can roll with that.

Now give Atkins and Dunlap their extensions, and this offseason would be considered successful
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:54 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Since we only get what the media perpetuates, along with rumors and uneducated guesses, it's good to remember the teams actually know a lot more about who can play where the best. We have to trust the brain trust and process at some point. I believe our FO has a plan, whether we like it or not. Now is a good time to spend learning all about the new guys, do a little fishin', play some golf, travel some etc until camp opens.

You just reminded me; now what the heck am I going to do at work? I've been doing nothing but draft games for the past month!!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree on leaving Boling where he's been since day 1, goes along with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Additionally, we're already going to have 4/5 different starters on the OL, no need to create more chaos by going 5/5.  You keep the one piece of consistency that you know you can rely on in place.

So you are saying moving the great Whittworth prior to happening was a bad idea too? 

I disagree and know a LT or RT is more valuable than a guard and harder to find great ones so look under every rock. The line is already shook up and has no continuity so who cares if all 5 spots are new versus 3 or 4 of 5.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are saying moving the great Whittworth prior to happening was a bad idea too? 

I disagree and know a LT or RT is more valuable than a guard and harder to find great ones so look under every rock. The line is already shook up and has no continuity so who cares if all 5 spots are new versus 3 or 4 of 5.

They moved Whit to Tackle very early in his career and that's what he played at LSU. Boling has been a Guard his whole career here except for the last two games. 

I see your point about the line being already shook up, but I think Price having Boling next to him his rookie year to help him out is going to be very important. Moving Boling to Tackle makes Price have Westerman and Redmond next to him. That is not much experience in the interior part of your line (albeit pretty intriguing the more I think about it). 

Just my opinion. That and 25 cents will still leave you short for a cup of coffee. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are saying moving the great Whittworth prior to happening was a bad idea too? 

That's a really bad example to try to use, for a couple of reasons.  First off, Whitworth was only put at LG in an effort to get the 5 best OL on the field at the same time.  He was a Tackle, and was moved there when the time was right.  Secondly, while Clint looked good filling in at LT, I would think that a permanent move outside at this point in his career might not be so wise for his health.  We often see examples of Tackles moving to Guard, in an effort to extend their playing careers, but rarely the opposite.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you.  Just expressing a difference of opinion, as the reality of the matter is that neither one of us know exactly what the team has in mind.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think RT more specifically will be the weak spot. I have a feeling that Westerman is going to be at least adequate to good in this system. Could be wrong, but I like his chances. As far as RT, I guess we just have to hope that Fisher stays healthy this season and keeps He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named on the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a really bad example to try to use, for a couple of reasons.  First off, Whitworth was only put at LG in an effort to get the 5 best OL on the field at the same time.  He was a Tackle, and was moved there when the time was right.  Secondly, while Clint looked good filling in at LT, I would think that a permanent move outside at this point in his career might not be so wise for his health.  We often see examples of Tackles moving to Guard, in an effort to extend their playing careers, but rarely the opposite.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you.  Just expressing a difference of opinion, as the reality of the matter is that neither one of us know exactly what the team has in mind.

We are just sharing opinions, not arguing at all.

My point is all options need to be on the table to get the best 5 OL starting again, if that means Boling at OG, so be it. I may be crazy, but it is weird to me the new OL coach comes in and we still have Cedric on the roster. I read into that Pollack thinks he may be able to turn Cedric into a good OT or guard. If not, why not trade or cut him? PA is gone so it is new line coach making those decisions now.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think RT more specifically will be the weak spot.  I have a feeling that Westerman is going to be at least adequate to good in this system.  Could be wrong, but I like his chances.  As far as RT, I guess we just have to hope that Fisher stays healthy this season and keeps He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named on the sidelines.

Or you could root for Cedric to bet tons better under Pollack versus hoping he stays the same and keeps his spot on the roster.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think RT more specifically will be the weak spot.  I have a feeling that Westerman is going to be at least adequate to good in this system.  Could be wrong, but I like his chances.  As far as RT, I guess we just have to hope that Fisher stays healthy this season and keeps He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named on the sidelines.

I don't know if this is going to happen, but believe the FO has it's eye out for a tackle or guard upgrade in the many cast-offs we'll see in the upcoming weeks. I tend to think looking for any possibility is an ongoing activity year-round. 

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We are just sharing opinions, not arguing at all.

My point is all options need to be on the table to get the best 5 OL starting again, if that means Boling at OG, so be it. I may be crazy, but it is weird to me the new OL coach comes in and we still have Cedric on the roster. I read into that Pollack thinks he may be able to turn Cedric into a good OT or guard. If not, why not trade or cut him? PA is gone so it is new line coach making those decisions now.

He's playing with house money on Ogbuehi and he will give him a fair chance to see if he can be a decent backup. To be honest with you, I see Pollack has having Ogbuehi there as competition for Hart and Perkins for a backup role. Based on what I know about Hart, we are lucky to have Ogbuehi (yes, I threw up in my mouth typing that). I just hope that if Pollack sees no improvement in Ogbuehi, they let him go before the season starts. 

Can you imagine if Pollack turns Ogbuehi into even an average player? He'd be Coach of the Year.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:34 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I don't know if this is going to happen, but believe the FO has it's eye for a tackle or guard upgrade in the many cast-offs we'll see in the upcoming weeks. I tend to think looking for any possibility is an ongoing activity year-round. 

Hey, we can always bring back Eric Winston.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:35 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's playing with house money on Ogbuehi and he will give him a fair chance to see if he can be a decent backup. To be honest with you, I see Pollack has having Ogbuehi there as competition for Hart and Perkins for a backup role. Based on what I know about Hart, we are lucky to have Ogbuehi (yes, I threw up in my mouth typing that). I just hope that if Pollack sees no improvement in Ogbuehi, they let him go before the season starts. 

Can you imagine if Pollack turns Ogbuehi into even an average player? He'd be Coach of the Year.

Different players excel in different schemes or different techniques. I found it very weird that PA quit sled training for OL. Since they can't wear pads as often, I would think physical sled training for OL would be huge. I read Pollack will bring it back.

I think we forget coaches work year round. What are they doing right now? They have every game tape available and as important they have every practice tape available to look at their guys and critique them so once they can work with them, they know strength and weaknesses. A guy like Fisher and Cedric have a ton of tape for Pollack where the new guys like Hart only have game tape available. So Pollack can get a better sense for our guys for anyone new and why hopefully he can help each of them get better.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:35 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's playing with house money on Ogbuehi and he will give him a fair chance to see if he can be a decent backup. To be honest with you, I see Pollack has having Ogbuehi there as competition for Hart and Perkins for a backup role. Based on what I know about Hart, we are lucky to have Ogbuehi (yes, I threw up in my mouth typing that). I just hope that if Pollack sees no improvement in Ogbuehi, they let him go before the season starts. 

Easy to overlook the fact that Pollack has yet to spend any time with what he inherited. I think Pollack won't need a whole lot of time to determine who can do what well within his system. Kinda makes me wish I could be there to witness all of this.

(04-29-2018, 01:36 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Hey, we can always bring back Eric Winston.  :andy:

What a benchmark, eh? Eric did give us his best, at a time when it was probably all he could do to crawl out of bed after game day. Point well made, though. There has to be better than what we 'think' we have.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully another player or two are added for depth and competition when camp cuts happen.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 11:49 AM)spazz70 Wrote: So, just curious...If Boling can play LT as decent as he did last year would you think he could slide out to RT?  He has the size and is a good run blocker.   My thoughts are if you can solidify the LT, Center and RT spots with top players that the 2 interior spots could be fought out as we seem to have more potential talent at the Guard position.

I would not move Boling, keep him at LG , Fisher will win the RT spot and be serviceable, we have veterans now in Westerman and Redmond to RG
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Or you could root for Cedric to bet tons better under Pollack versus hoping he stays the same and keeps his spot on the roster.

I've seen enough of that guy.  Two full seasons at both tackle spots.  I remember when MMA was going to make him tons better.  I hope he never plays another down in stripes, and moreover blame a lot of this franchise's recent woes on him being selected with the 1st round pick in 15.  He belongs right up there with the Ifeyani Ohaletes of Bengal lore.
Reply/Quote