Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line prediction
bfine's Oline prediction:

Free Agency opens 16 Mar 22 at 4 PM. If we haven't signed every FA olinemen that folks want by 16 Mar 22 at 6 PM many will assert:
Free Agency is a bust
We're happy getting Joe killed
Mike Brown is cheap
Joe will never re-sign with the Bengals
It's Zac's fault.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine's Oline prediction:

Free Agency opens 16 Mar 22 at 4 PM. If we haven't signed every FA olinemen that folks want by 16 Mar 22 at 6 PM many will assert:
Free Agency is a bust
Mike Brown is cheap
It's Zac's fault.

It's worth noting we'll see multiple threads about these topics. Instead of opining with a reply to the first thread, "Bruh, you're right they don't care about Joe's health" someone will start a new thread in all capitals, "THE BENGALS ARE GOING TO DESTROY JOE".

Free agency is going to be a blast!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think there is a good chance Reiff retires.  I guess that ankle injury was pretty bad.  

I don't think they will go with Raimann.  They have two developing OTs in Smith and Adeniji that were pressed in to development at OG due to such poor play by Carman.  

Fred may be pretty close on the veteran additions, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins is let go to sign Jensen.  They could offer him a lesser deal to compete at OG with incentives based on playing time.  

I am torn about Lindenbaum.  His arms are SO SHORT.  He's incredibly athletic, but I don't see the Bengals deviating from their minimum standards that they want out of positions.  He could very well be there now, as well.  I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, Soonerpeace keeps saying he has inside information that somehow doesn't have us bringing in a RT in FA besides
Reiff an older OT with ankle injuries with rumors of retiring being around him. Also us taking Raimann a raw OT that only
played OT for one year and was a TE before that from a small school.

I sure hope Soonerpeace doesn't have inside info lol
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine's Oline prediction:

Free Agency is a bust
Mike Brown is cheap
It's Zac's fault.

(03-08-2022, 01:56 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's worth noting we'll see multiple threads about these topics. Instead of opining with a reply to the first thread, "Bruh, you're right they don't care about Joe's health" someone will start a new thread in all capitals, "THE BENGALS ARE GOING TO DESTROY JOE".

Free agency is going to be a blast!

Safe predictions. Mellow
Reply/Quote
This is a seller's market for OL so if we don't move fast when Free Agency opens we won't get what we need.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 03:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Soonerpeace keeps saying he has inside information that somehow doesn't have us bringing in a RT in FA besides
Reiff an older OT with ankle injuries with rumors of retiring being around him. Also us taking Raimann a raw OT that only
played OT for one year and was a TE before that from a small school.

I sure hope Soonerpeace doesn't have inside info lol

Well...I mean, I think the stuff Fred says about us having a lot of starters that are free agents that need signed...kind of goes with this theory. On paper, we appear to have a lot of cap space, but we do have free agents that need signed too. Or that creates other holes.

So we'll see. I sure hope we sign a couple external free agents to upgrade the line.

IF Reiff stayed healthy, I'd be happy bringing him back. But he didn't.

The free agent offensive lineman market is tricky. We could spend a decent amount of money on 2...and they could be minor upgrades.
Reply/Quote
PFF has this as Morgan Moses contract prediction. IF you can sign him for that, I think you do it:
Contract Projection: Three years, $22.5 million ($7.5M per year, $14.5M total guaranteed)
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 05:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: PFF has this as Morgan Moses contract prediction. IF you can sign him for that, I think you do it:
Contract Projection: Three years, $22.5 million ($7.5M per year, $14.5M total guaranteed)

We probably can't afford All Pro's at every Off line positions. Would love to have a tone setter in Ryan Jensen though.
We just need competent Veteran players that can give us 2-3 years while we hopefully develop some of our draft talent.
I think/hope Jackson Carmen and D'Ante Smith will have a bigger impact in 2022 but neither one should be given a job.
If we could sign Moses for 7.5 mil I am all in for that.
Reply/Quote
I saw that Brian Baluga has been injured for 2 years. Could be a good, cheap signing if we draft a T high.
Reply/Quote
None of those on our "wish list" were franchised. That means we can bid on the likes of:

James Daniels
Laken Tomlinson
Branden Schreff
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Jensen
Trent Brown
ect...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: None of those on our "wish list" were franchised. That means we can bid on the likes of:

James Daniels
Laken Tomlinson
Branden Schreff
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Jensen
Trent Brown
ect...

I'm guessing they try to get Jensen and James Daniels.  Jensen because he is a vocal leader type, and the best available at his position.  A 3 year, 39 million dollar deal could likely get it done, and the Bengals save appx $6 million releasing Hopkins (who they could sign to a lesser deal to compete at guard).  

I like James Daniels the best of the FA for Guard because he is likely to be somewhat affordable (appx $7.5 million per year over four years projected) and he is the youngest FA (will be 24 on opening day) and a very good overall pass blocker and run blocker who stabilized at the RG position once the Bears let him stay there all season.  

I think he fits the Bengals desires for a FA (younger, talented, not top of market dollars) and also fits their biggest need (RG).

If they get Jensen and Daniels, I am ok trying to develop Adeniji, Prince, or Smith at RT.  They could very well also draft a RT.  

Sure, I would love a trade for someone like Tunsil, but I am trying to be realistic.  Those improvements in the interior could go a long way to improving this line without sacrificing the team in other spots. 
Reply/Quote
Who I would like to see added to the Bengals OL

Laken Tomlinson
Ryan Jensen

The more likely scenario that would also greatly improve the interior push and protection on the OL?

James Daniels
Bradley Bozeman

Sure, I'd like to see a wholesale upgrade at RT, but as the numbers start rolling in, I don't see it happening. Besides, the biggest fires to put out on OL seem to be pass rush between C and RT, and a severe lack of push in short yardage rushing situations. Build the OL from the inside, and work outward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Are we being realistic in thinking a major overhaul of the OL will happen? I've followed the Bengals and the NFL for a long time now, but admittedly I've not paid much attention to what extent any organization does to fix OL problems during the offseason. Is it common that a team might trade out 3 OL for 3 new starters from one season to the next?

I know when the Bucs signed Brady, they were intentional about improving their OL. Thus, it does happen but I keep thinking those of us fans expecting two or more new starting OL for next year might be unrealistic with such an expectation. I'm tempering my free agent OL signing expectations. It might take a couple off seasons to really improve the OL with free agency, draft picks, and previous draft pricks improving.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Are we being realistic in thinking a major overhaul of the OL will happen? I've followed the Bengals and the NFL for a long time now, but admittedly I've not paid much attention to what extent any organization does to fix OL problems during the offseason. Is it common that a team might trade out 3 OL for 3 new starters from one season to the next?

I know when the Bucs signed Brady, they were intentional about improving their OL. Thus, it does happen but I keep thinking those of us fans expecting two or more new starting OL for next year might be unrealistic with such an expectation. I'm tempering my free agent OL signing expectations. It might take a couple off seasons to really improve the OL with free agency, draft picks, and previous draft pricks improving.

Thoughts?

I don’t think we are being unrealistic about the possibilities. I think we are being about the outcome. Look at the chiefs last year. The signed thuney to a massive deal. Made a huge trade for Orlando brown and drafted creed Humphrey.

It can be done. No one knows how far they are willing to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:45 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I don’t think we are being unrealistic about the possibilities.  I think we are being about the outcome.  Look at the chiefs last year.  The signed thuney to a massive deal.  Made a huge trade for Orlando brown and drafted creed Humphrey.  

It can be done.  No one knows how far they are willing to go.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, I totally forgot about last offseason when the Chiefs were intentional about changing up their OL to better protect Mahomes. Fair point, our fandom desire is realistic but the outcome is not likely to meet our expectations. I'm looking forward to free agency though, it's a fun time to be a Bengals fan!
Reply/Quote
So Orando Brown Tagged, + I read TB wants to retain Jensen, which starts to thin down our options and competing with the other teams like Pitt that might pay more for O Line Talent. Add to this that Hobson article ..... Anyone else worried we may be stuck looking at players we didnt really have on radar?
Its such a critical HIGH priorty this yr that it makes me nervous...and I can see the O line sports agents using that against us.
Reply/Quote
It's a tough position group to upgrade. Lots of teams need lineman and there aren't that many quality ones out there.

So yes - There's concern. We've been trying to upgrade it for 5 years now, and haven't made it much better.
Reply/Quote
Hobspin's article does not concern me in the least.
Reply/Quote
I've been concerned from the beginning.

Center has 2 strong candidates and like the OP said the Bucs really want Jensen back.  
Leaves Bozeman to take advantage of a bidding war.
Jones is older,  
Karras and Daniels are guards who can play center.  
The Lions have a prospect behind Ragnow that could be very good, I'll keep watching.

Tackle is extremely thin this year
Brown Jr was never going to be available
Armstead is too much guaranteed money, too old , too injured
Moses was on a one year tender on the bench for the Jets before Mekhi was hurt and he is older
T Brown from the Patriots is an option but seems to only play well for the Pats
D Brown is too old
Fisher too expensive, injured, older
Ifedi is young but not proven
Reiff could retire
Shell & Massie are very average & over 30

If the Texans will take less than two 1st round picks Tunsil is our prize. #31 and a later pick would be a steal, he only has $10M in guaranteed money with 2 years left on his contract and is a Top 5 LT. Move Jonah to RT and then the options become easier.

Guard has the bright spots and of course the Bengals dont value the position.  
Scherff will most likely never be an option and for good reason
I keep seeing we are in on Tomlinson which is my favorite - believe it when I see it
Corbett is my next guy
People like Daniels, I want to know why the Bears would let a solid 24 yr old walk with their available cap space
C Williams has promise
Norwell is too stiff for the wide zone but a great pass blocker and could come at a discount
Cappa has potential and the Bucs cant sign both he and Jensen
Not a fan of Spain so of course he will be back
Karras is an upgrade

We could very well see Spain and Reiff type acquisitions again this year if we strike out on one of the top 2 centers, dont trade for Tunsil or sign T Brown and continue to not value the guard position.  Lets hope we do better.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I've been concerned from the beginning.

Center has 2 strong candidates and like the OP said the Bucs really want Jensen back.  
Leaves Bozeman to take advantage of a bidding war.
Jones is older,  
Karras and Daniels are guards who can play center.  
The Lions have a prospect behind Ragnow that could be very good, I'll keep watching.

Tackle is extremely thin this year
Brown Jr was never going to be available
Armstead is too much guaranteed money, too old , too injured
Moses was on a one year tender on the bench for the Jets before Mekhi was hurt and he is older
T Brown from the Patriots is an option but seems to only play well for the Pats
D Brown is too old
Fisher too expensive, injured, older
Ifedi is young but not proven
Reiff could retire
Shell & Massie are very average & over 30

If the Texans will take less than two 1st round picks Tunsil is our prize. #31 and a later pick would be a steal, he only has $10M in guaranteed money with 2 years left on his contract and is a Top 5 LT. Move Jonah to RT and then the options become easier.

Guard has the bright spots and of course the Bengals dont value the position.  
Scherff will most likely never be an option and for good reason
I keep seeing we are in on Tomlinson which is my favorite - believe it when I see it
Corbett is my next guy
People like Daniels, I want to know why the Bears would let a solid 24 yr old walk with their available cap space
C Williams has promise
Norwell is too stiff for the wide zone but a great pass blocker and could come at a discount
Cappa has potential and the Bucs cant sign both he and Jensen
Not a fan of Spain so of course he will be back
Karras is an upgrade

We could very well see Spain and Reiff type acquisitions again this year if we strike out on one of the top 2 centers, dont trade for Tunsil or sign T Brown and continue to not value the guard position.  Lets hope we do better.

Yes - When you look at it logically, there aren't a ton of guys out there who are upgrades.
Reply/Quote