Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-line still available
(03-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly think the FO and coaching staff are just underestimating the o-line issue yet again.

I have my doubts that we'll take Sewell even if he's there. Which at this point, someone may leapfrog us because our need is so obvious.

We should've prioritized an interior linemen in FA at the very least, to pair with Sewell.

They will take Sewell if he is there, they have already said they would. Sewell is the player they are after in the first.

Lots of good interior OL left Shake. FA doesn't even officially start until tomorrow...
Reply/Quote
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
16m
After weighing offers from the #Patriots all day, center David Andrews is going to free agency, source said. He’ll now look at offers from the rest of the league.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly think the FO and coaching staff are just underestimating the o-line issue yet again.

I have my doubts that we'll take Sewell even if he's there. Which at this point, someone may leapfrog us because our need is so obvious.

We should've prioritized an interior linemen in FA at the very least, to pair with Sewell.

This is my concern as well.

I could see the Chargers feeling like they are one guy away on their O-line and have their QB so they jump into Atlanta's spot and take Sewell and we are left with Bobby Hart again since they'll just take Chase or Pitts or Parsons and say that he was actually the target all along.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Riley Reiff makes to much sense veteran zone blocking tackle that can play either side. He comes from the exact same system the Bengals have been trying to run since they hired Zac Taylor. Reiff would open the the top of the draft but would still allow them to take a young tackle to groom on Day 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:05 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is my concern as well.

I could see the Chargers feeling like they are one guy away on their O-line and have their QB so they jump into Atlanta's spot and take Sewell and we are left with Bobby Hart again since they'll just take Chase or Pitts or Parsons and say that he was actually the target all along.

In this depressed WR market, the dolphins have the cap space to really upgrade their WR room through free agency. If that happens, they may be on the Sewell train at #3.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Riley Reiff makes to much sense veteran zone blocking tackle that can play either side. He comes from the exact same system the Bengals have been trying to run since they hired Zac Taylor. Reiff would open the the top of the draft but would still allow them to take a young tackle to groom on Day 2.

If you sign him, there is the added bonus of cutting Hart immediately and making the cap hit almost nothing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:05 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is my concern as well.

Yeah. How fabulous would it be if the team with the record breaking rookie of the year, with the new RT and C also gets the best LT in the draft?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper great. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
David Andrews is now available too
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:41 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Eh it might have been hyperbolic, but I'm certain i read somewhere that Mikey boy doesn't believe in paying top dollar for interior linemen.

I'll count this one as me either misremembering something or something being misrepresented to me.

"Why should I pay that for a guard?"

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:34 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. How fabulous would it be if the team with the record breaking rookie of the year, with the new RT and C also gets the best LT in the draft?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper great. Mellow

I mean... I know its the in thing to do right now is complain about how great the Chargers are doing compared to us. But I feel like people are not realizing they pretty much had to do something. 3 of their 2017 picks hit free agency. 2nd rounder Lamp, 3rd rounder Feeney, 6th rounder Tevi. They traded their T Okung last year for Trai Turner who they ended up cutting this year. Those guys were responsible for 55 of their possible 80 OL starts in 2020. Their C who didn't play at all last year due to injury, Pouncey, retired.

Meanwhile we are losing Redmond who we cut at the beginning of the year but he ended up starting 7 games and Spain who we picked up off the street and he started 8 games for us last year.

Yes we need OL help. But we are not even close to being in as dire a position as what they were.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 02:36 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I mean... I know its the in thing to do right now is complain about how great the Chargers are doing compared to us. But I feel like people are not realizing they pretty much had to do something. 3 of their 2017 picks hit free agency. 2nd rounder Lamp, 3rd rounder Feeney, 6th rounder Tevi. They traded their T Okung last year for Trai Turner who they ended up cutting this year. Those guys were responsible for 55 of their possible 80 OL starts in 2020. Their C who didn't play at all last year due to injury, Pouncey, retired.

Meanwhile we are losing Redmond who we cut at the beginning of the year but he ended up starting 7 games and Spain who we picked up off the street and he started 8 games for us last year.

Yes we need OL help. But we are not even close to being in as dire a position as what they were.

Dire or not, they actually went out and focused on an important area that needed to be fixed, with really good additions.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
The good news is they have persued two guards and they just didn't want to pay that much and get nobody else I guess. I think they will pick up another guard.

The bad news is they don't seem to want to cut Bobby hart for whatever reason,may
be it's his contract. they got jonah and adenji and probably going to draft a tackle somewhere in the draft people are thinking sewell. That would make Bobby hart a backup swing tackle.
Reply/Quote
I knew they wasn't going to try to put together some all pro o line ,nobody in the NFL does that. People were guessing we'd have thuney, put William's at guard , sewell at left , and some other good right tackle in free agency like yeah right put down the pipe.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dire or not, they actually went out and focused on an important area that needed to be fixed, with really good additions.

Kind of like adding CBs and a DE to a team that needs CBs and a DE.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 02:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: "Why should I pay that for a guard?"

Is that what he said? I didn't actually read a quote from him, more like a 'historically Mike Brown doesn't pay for guards as he doesn't believe interior linemen are that important' type piece.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Kind of like adding CBs and a DE to a team that needs CBs and a DE.

Except that, protecting your QB is more important than picking up CBs and a DE on day 1 and 2. Especially when he's rehabbing from a shredded knee. 

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 11:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Except that, protecting your QB is more important than picking up CBs and a DE on day 1 and 2. Especially when he's rehabbing from a shredded knee. 

X10. Much less effort than most of us had predicted.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 11:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Except that, protecting your QB is more important than picking up CBs and a DE on day 1 and 2. Especially when he's rehabbing from a shredded knee. 

Actually it does not matter at all what day any free agent is signed.  All that matters is what we end up with.

A lot of people already had their whine on by noon Monday crying about how we were not going to sign any good players.  Yet so far we have an All_Pro DE and a couple of starting CBs.

If we end up not addressing the O-line in free agency then I will be with you in criticizing the Bengals.  But I am not so desperate to complain that I am going to start before I even know what happens.

BTW you all remember when so many people here said that O-line would not be that important with Burrow because he was so good at making plays under pressure?  How he was not like those QBs who needed a bunch of talent around them to succeed?  Where di all the guys making those claims go?
Reply/Quote
Texans release Zach Fulton. He is 29 and has played all 3 interior positions as a starter for both the Chiefs and Texans

however he is more of a revolving door than our current guards. 11 sacks given up 1st in the NFL

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:32 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: The good news is they have persued two guards and they just didn't want to pay that much and get nobody else I guess. I think they will pick up another guard.

The bad news is they don't seem to want to cut Bobby hart for whatever reason,may
be it's his contract. they got jonah and adenji and probably going to draft a tackle somewhere in the draft people are thinking sewell. That would make Bobby hart a backup swing tackle.

No point in cutting Hart until we have his replacement. We can still get Reiff, then we can cut Hart and bring in a Guard like 
Gabe Jackson. I want to see what we end up with before complaining. This is officially the first day of FA. I will cry when it is
over if we don't protect Burrow along with opening up the Draft. Time to drink green brews and check for updates.
Reply/Quote