Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OG's will be available.....
I'm not sure why people think teams cut quality starting lineman. There is a shortage across the league. Anyone we sign that gets cut will upon further review be bad, at least at the team he got cut from.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:08 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I still think we'll pick up a decent OG after teams cut to their final 53.  Although OL play is not good in the league right now, with 32 teams there will be some quality depth let go for some teams at that position.  From what I've seen so far watching these first 3 games it won't take much to pick up a player more productive than we at the RG position.

I am still hoping for RT more than a RG myself. I think Westerman should be our RG this season.

He is a very good pass protector and has opened up some holes in the run game this Preseason.

Zero pressures allowed, he is our best Guard not named Boling clearly.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 04:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not sure why people think teams cut quality starting lineman. There is a shortage across the league. Anyone we sign that gets cut will upon further review be bad, at least at the team he got cut from.

Not always you get veteran cuts who are guys who the team drafted a replacement for and decided to drop some salary...

And the salary cuts as well  (but those might be done by now)
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 11:30 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Can we realistically think we're going to get a quality starting OG that was somehow cut from another teams roster meaning they most like weren't even the 4th best guard on that team? I mean we may get lucky but if we're hoping the answer for our season comes through cuts we're in trouble.

Or they may just be a victim of cap space instead of 4th best. 

There will be serviceable OL dropped I believe. It is only a matter of if Bengals can convince them to come here or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:08 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I still think we'll pick up a decent OG after teams cut to their final 53.  Although OL play is not good in the league right now, with 32 teams there will be some quality depth let go for some teams at that position.  From what I've seen so far watching these first 3 games it won't take much to pick up a player more productive than we at the RG position.
. Hopkins is serviceable at this time but if we can find a upgrade for the right price, just have to decide who to cut Redmond or Westerman
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am still hoping for RT more than a RG myself. I think Westerman should be our RG this season.

He is a very good pass protector and has opened up some holes in the run game this Preseason.

, he seems very one dimensional from what I have read and seen especially any shift to RG has not seemed to go well for him, stuck behind Boling now at LG.. has not performed much at all against 1st teamers... if we sign a Guard, i could see him cut or Redmond cut...
Reply/Quote
Now that the Atkins/Dunlap deals are done, they have to focus on Dennard, Dalton and Green. I doubt we bring anyone else in at this point. We'll roll with what we have.....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 04:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not sure why people think teams cut quality starting lineman. There is a shortage across the league. Anyone we sign that gets cut will upon further review be bad, at least at the team he got cut from.

The question is not what great player we'll pick up, rather can we find somebody better than what we have?  Again, the bar is set pretty low on the right side of our line.  I don't think it will take a "great" player to make it better.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:44 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The question is not what great player we'll pick up, rather can we find somebody better than what we have?  Again, the bar is set pretty low on the right side of our line.  I don't think it will take a "great" player to make it better.

My point is, no one is flat out cutting what anyone here will call "better than what we got" once they dig into them. Now if we grab someone, people here will tell you as a knee jerk that they "have to be better" but after digging in they will see they are basically Bobby Hart by a new name. The reality as I have said is there is a league wide problem with O lineman and a lot of teams have line issues right now. I mean you don't think the Bills would be banging down the doors of people with lineman to offer them something before they get cut?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: My point is, no one is flat out cutting what anyone here will call "better than what we got" once they dig into them. Now if we grab someone, people here will tell you as a knee jerk that they "have to be better" but after digging in they will see they are basically Bobby Hart by a new name. The reality as I have said is there is a league wide problem with O lineman and a lot of teams have line issues right now. I mean you don't think the Bills would be banging down the doors of people with lineman to offer them something before they get cut?

What I'm hopeful of is some teams will move away from some quality players for salary and youth movement reasons. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Now that the Atkins/Dunlap deals are done, they have to focus on Dennard, Dalton and Green. I doubt we bring anyone else in at this point. We'll roll with what we have.....

I think Dalton is signed through 2020. I would be surprised if we re-signed him before then, if we did, it would remain a team cap friendly deal. I suspect we will NOT be willing to pay him $20-25M per year that the market price will be. At that point we will draft a young guy and get 5 cheap years out of him. 

I would not pay Dalton anywhere near $20M per year
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am still hoping for RT more than a RG myself. I think Westerman should be our RG this season.

Seems there may be more to the story than we know.  Does he not put in the effort on the practice field or in the meeting room?  Is he not prepared by knowing the playbook?  Does he have an attitude problem?

[b]Katherine TerrellVerified account [/b]@Kat_Terrell
FollowingFollowing @Kat_Terrell
More

I think Lewis had a telling quote about Christian Westerman when he was asked why he didn’t play at RG. He said it doesn’t matter if it’s LG or RG, you have to show up and earn your spot. After the press conference ends I’ll go back and post the full quote
12:25 PM - 28 Aug 2018

Head coach Marvin Lewis was asked why Westerman wasn’t playing right guard during Tuesday’s press conference. “They are synonymous,” he said, we assume with a menacing glare. “It doesn’t really matter, left or right, you have to prove you can play.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
And Hopkins and Redmond have proven they can play? Marvin is a joke.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:18 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And Hopkins and Redmond have proven they can play? Marvin is a joke.

Two O line coaches have now thought Christian Westerman is not good enough to play.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:18 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: And Hopkins and Redmond have proven they can play? Marvin is a joke.

Remember it's likely Pollack saying it to Lazor about Westerman. Marvin is the guy that gets to be crucified by the media and fans.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Still a bit of a head scatcher how Mr False Start himself gets the nod over Westerman, but unfortunately we as fans aren't necessarily privy to every internal debate among the coaching staff..  He probably still hasn't mastered the art of the ketchup bottle.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd still like to see if Zane Beadles has anything left. He was good up until last year. SF cut him to save $3.5 mil in cap, plus they have outstanding young guards.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I would love for a great low cost OL to fall through the cracks. My fear is highly unlikely as OL is a weakness in the NFL, so finding quality teams let go are a hot commodity.

We would love to have all pro's at every position, problem is no team can afford them everywhere. So, I am hopeful our new OL coach can develop players we have. So far, I have seen other positions get better with experience and coaching, so now time for Pollack to work his magic and develop, develop and develop some more.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 11:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Remember it's likely Pollack saying it to Lazor about Westerman. Marvin is the guy that gets to be crucified by the media and fans.

Marvin being crucified is well deserved. He has been arrogant with media and fans. At this point with Westerman I would not trust Alexander's opinion, he has done nothing but miss on prospects for years. But if the team thought Westerman was only a good backup then that once agin speaks to the lousy job they did of finding better players on the right side. 

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 12:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would love for a great low cost OL to fall through the cracks. My fear is highly unlikely as OL is a weakness in the NFL, so finding quality teams let go are a hot commodity.

We would love to have all pro's at every position, problem is no team can afford them everywhere. So, I am hopeful our new OL coach can develop players we have. So far, I have seen other positions get better with experience and coaching, so now time for Pollack to work his magic and develop, develop and develop some more.

OL is a huge weakness throughout the league, which is why NOT signing Zeitler and Whit was a HUGE mistake that will cost us for years. Especially since they already knew Og was a turd and Fisher was coming off a tough injury. Running backs a re a dime a dozen yet we seem to want to draft one every year when there are no holes to run through. Makes little sense. 

Reply/Quote