Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OG's will be available.....
(08-30-2018, 08:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Illoka got signed for vet minimum and LaFell still has no job. Not sure what point these guys prove? There pay, or in LaFell's case lack of pay, show what the rest of the league views them as. Also, that is again disregarding the lack of talent at O line across the league. There are quality safeties and WR's still on the market, there aren't quality O lineman still sitting at home waiting for deals. 

I'm thinking right about now, Lafell is rethinking his decision to ask for his release.....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking right about now, Lafell is rethinking his decision to ask for his release.....

Yep, right now Jordan Matthews, Jeremy Maclin, and Dez are all without jobs and I am guessing all get calls before him. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin's doghouse = Fan favorite who does not play well but fans refuse to acknowledge it.Remember last year when everyone was squealing about how it was all Marvin's fault that Ross was not playing?

Westerman is a guy who played a grand total of 87 snaps last year (about half the snaps of the last two games) and was annointed as savior of the O-line by some.  The truth is that he probably isn't that good.

How many other Bengal back ups have left "Marvin's doghouse" in free agency and played well for another team?

Wonder if he's one of those guys that doesn't practice well but plays better on game day?  There has to be more to this story for him to be in Marvin's doghouse.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who knows what evil lurks in hearts of men? The Marvin knows and can cloud men's thoughts..
Westerman must have evil lurking in his heart or something.. 
The weed of poor offensive line play bears bitter fruit . The Marvin knows! Muhahahaha! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like Westerman, he looks like the big nasty tackle we need, but there has to be something going on. Pollock has to be seeing something he doesn't like, it can't just be Marvin's doghouse. He has to be in the doghouse for a reason.
Reply/Quote
Do you think the Bengals let MJ go to sign Dennard?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 01:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Do you think the Bengals let MJ go to sign Dennard?

I keep saying it, MJ is not going anywhere....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin's doghouse = Fan favorite who does not play well but fans refuse to acknowledge it.Remember last year when everyone was squealing about how it was all Marvin's fault that Ross was not playing?

Westerman is a guy who played a grand total of 87 snaps last year (about half the snaps of the last two games) and was annointed as savior of the O-line by some.  The truth is that he probably isn't that good.

How many other Bengal back ups have left "Marvin's doghouse" in free agency and played well for another team?

Westerman played well last year so your argument is moot right there.

He played well, stop saying that he did not and he still is as a backup LG.

(08-29-2018, 06:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does Evan Mathis count?

We sure have went over this one a bunch lol

Should count shouldn't he?

(08-29-2018, 10:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Overall the line played very well against the pass rush not just Westerman.. and he played very little against 1st teams to really give me a fair evaluation against Hopkins ...  and again how much did he even play at RG.. that tells you something from the stand point of the coaching staff that he was not on that side hardly at all or none.... You totally are not seeing my point.. if he is not in the minds of the coaches which at this point seems pretty clear that he will not be the RG, and we go out and pick up a RG after roster cuts..., then someone has to go.. it wont be Hopkins.. he can play center and has more experience at RG.. it will either be Redmond or Westerman... now I would cut Redmond first over Westerman... but you seem to think Westerman is an All Pro untouchable from being cut.. 

Never said he was an All Pro, now this is getting ridiculous. He has just played well as a backup and i find it strange
that he is not getting a shot at RG. If he is bad there in practice i could see it but that is not what i am hearing.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Westerman played well last year so your argument is moot right there.

He played well, stop saying that he did not and he still is as a backup LG.

We sure have went over this one a bunch lol

Should count shouldn't he?

Never said he was an All Pro, now this is getting ridiculous. He has just played well as a backup and i find it strange
that he is not getting a shot at RG. If he is bad there in practice i could see it but that is not what i am hearing.
It is not strange if he has not done what the coaches have expected him to do, i put the ALL Pro to be over the top just like your ridiculous reaction Westerman a  backup at this point on the line could be CUT.... if we pick up a guard after rosters are trimmed.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 03:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is not strange if he has not done what the coaches have expected him to do, i put the ALL Pro to be over the top just like your ridiculous reaction Westerman a  backup at this point on the line could be CUT.... if we pick up a guard after rosters are trimmed.

Westerman is our only backup LG behind Boling, doubt they cut him is all.

Agree that they would cut Redmond over him cause of the penalties and the fact Hopkins has just been more solid.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Westerman is our only backup LG behind Boling, doubt they cut him is all.

Agree that they would cut Redmond over him cause of the penalties and the fact Hopkins has just been more solid.

Redmond is 'Captain False Start" yet it is Westerman who sits in the ML doghouse? Hopkins is barely a good enough backup. There are players who are very average at practice but just get it done on game day and vis versa, part of good coaching is recognizing that.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 07:57 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Redmond is 'Captain False Start" yet it is Westerman who sits in the ML doghouse? Hopkins is barely a good enough backup. There are players who are very average at practice but just get it done on game day and vis versa, part of good coaching is recognizing that.

really ?? so a coach needs to recognizing someone that does not perform in practice , the meeting room  means they will get it done on game day.. sorry does not work for me.. I would never start someone that lacks the professionalism to do what they need to do to earn the job.. i would not trust them to be consistent and  a team player... it is one thing maybe a established veteran goes a bit light in practice but someone fighting for their job.. no way.. I cut them it a heartbeat... play hard or go home....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 07:57 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Redmond is 'Captain False Start" yet it is Westerman who sits in the ML doghouse? Hopkins is barely a good enough backup. There are players who are very average at practice but just get it done on game day and vis versa, part of good coaching is recognizing that.

There's only one way to settle this, a battle royale...  Put all the backups together in a no-holds-barred cage match, last man standing gets the RG spot. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There's only one way to settle this, a battle royale...  Put all the backups together in a no-holds-barred cage match, last man standing gets the RG spot. 

Good idea, but poor execution. The battle for RG need not be in a cage, but in a phone booth.....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 11:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: really ?? so a coach needs to recognizing someone that does not perform in practice , the meeting room  means they will get it done on game day.. sorry does not work for me.. I would never start someone that lacks the professionalism to do what they need to do to earn the job.. i would not trust them to be consistent and  a team player... it is one thing maybe a established veteran goes a bit light in practice but someone fighting for their job.. no way.. I cut them it a heartbeat... play hard or go home....

I did not say he did not play hard in practice, i just said he did not perform well. There are players who simply play better on game day, plain and simple. The lights come on and they perform. No different than players who perform better (or worse) the higher the pressure is in the situation. Dalton chokes under pressure, Russell Wilson thrives under it, you can't see that or simulate it in practice. I agree they all need to work hard in training time but it is the games that really matter. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 08:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Illoka got signed for vet minimum and LaFell still has no job. Not sure what point these guys prove? There pay, or in LaFell's case lack of pay, show what the rest of the league views them as. Also, that is again disregarding the lack of talent at O line across the league. There are quality safeties and WR's still on the market, there aren't quality O lineman still sitting at home waiting for deals. 

I addressed this in the other thread, but what guys like Pacman and LaFell got paid is irrelevant. The point is they got picked up, and they're upgrades to the teams that picked them up. As to LaFell, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been picked up. He's unremarkable but reliable. That said, Dez Bryant is still sitting around, so who knows. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Maybe because he’s not that good of a football. Patriots are in need you would think they would call Lafell if he was any good. Like Bryant just not worth what they are seeking.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There's only one way to settle this,  a battle royale... 

[Image: maxresdefault-7aaa5.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Was it humphries the bungles passed on in 2015 to take Cedric? Looking back now, I couldn’t tell you what the guy is doing, but he can’t be any worse than CO. Talk about a monumental bust. What’s up with fisher? A guy that fell to them in the second round that had first round talent. Are both of them so bad they are both liabilities out there? They are playing with the 3rd and 4th teams. Is it strictly them, or did Alexander completely ruin them while here?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 07:32 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Was it humphries the bungles passed on in 2015 to take Cedric? Looking back now, I couldn’t tell you what the guy is doing, but he can’t be any worse than CO. Talk about a monumental bust. What’s up with fisher? A guy that fell to them in the second round that had first round talent. Are both of them so bad they are both liabilities out there? They are playing with the 3rd and 4th teams. Is it strictly them, or did Alexander completely ruin them while here?

To bolded, yes absolutely.  They are bad, not NFL quality tackles.  The Bengals made a huge mistake by gambling on either of them, let alone both of them.  However, I will sat this in Fisher's defense.  If they had only taken him, and brought him along slowly, he might have had a chance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote