Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL PFF Grades - Week 4
PFF was very much not impressed with the OL's performance against MIA...

Williams:
Overall - 60.2
Pass Block (PB) - 49.5
Run Block (RB) - 70.8
Sacks - 0
Hits - 0
Pressures - 2
Penalties - 0

Volson:
Overall - 38.2
PB - 44.8
RB - 24.2
Sacks - 1
Hits - 0
Pressures - 3
Penalties - 1

Karras:
Overall - 47.5
PB - 51.5
RB - 55.3
Sacks - 0
Hits - 0
Pressures - 3
Penalties - 1

Cappa:
Overall - 47.0
PB - 48.0
RB - 43.5
Sacks - 0
Hits - 2
Pressures - 2
Penalties - 0

Collins:
Overall - 45.0
PB - 48.5
RB - 35.5
Sacks - 0
Hits - 0
Pressures - 2
Penalties - 1
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting

I was rewatching the Jets game yesterday and there were 2 or 3 plays where Collins was just punked run blocking.

I've been leaning hard towards Joe Mixon being the main problem in the run game. Perhaps the Oline is contributing more to the lack of having any running game at all than I was figuring ?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Interesting

I was rewatching the Jets game yesterday and there were 2 or 3 plays where Collins was just punked run blocking.

I've been leaning hard towards Joe Mixon being the main problem in the run game. Perhaps the Oline is contributing more to the lack of having any running game at all than I was figuring ?

Mixon has issues running right now for sure but the Oline is a issue also and possible cause of Mixon having some issues.   It is like passing game, Burrow had bad two first games but many say pressures and the worry of sacks early makes him rush throws or force them , with that thinking we could say Mixon maybe is dealing with the same thing with the Oline, could be pressing , or giving up to quick with the play.

Ive never been a total advocate of PFF but many on here have so if you supported PFF in the past when saying our line was bad, then you need to say the same about our new line also, they have not scored well as a whole any of our 4 games.  

This line after 4 games overall has been a disappointment, sure better last two games in the pass but they have yet to put a complete game together, baltimore would be a great time to do it... :)
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mixon has issues running right now for sure but the Oline is a issue also and possible cause of Mixon having some issues.   It is like passing game, Burrow had bad two first games but many say pressures and the worry of sacks early makes him rush throws or force them , with that thinking we could say Mixon maybe is dealing with the same thing with the Oline, could be pressing , or giving up to quick with the play.

Ive never been a total advocate of PFF but many on here have so if you supported PFF in the past when saying our line was bad, then you need to say the same about our new line also, they have not scored well as a whole any of our 4 games.  

This line after 4 games overall has been a disappointment, sure better last two games in the pass but they have yet to put a complete game together, baltimore would be a great time to do it... :)

Oh I agree. It's not just one thing that's killing the run game, there are several things contributing to the problem. The LG misses his block on one play, the RT on the next. Running to much with Burrow under center. The general play calling of the game, too predictable at times, Joe Mixon hasn't seemed right, just on and on.

Bottom line is they very badly need to get it fixed.
Reply/Quote
PFF is trash like all synthetic statistics are. I'll take Burrow's evaluation over theirs (he said it was the best pass protection he has had as a pro). Even PFF apologist Jake Liscow questioned these ratings.
Reply/Quote
As to running, there are a lot of different causes. The line has been a bit out of sync in communication terms, the scheme does not match the personnel and Mixon himself has been off (He left a LOT of yards and at least 1 TD on the field Thursday).
Reply/Quote
Typical PFF.

Eye test (fans and Burrow) - Best performance thus far (in pass blocking at least).

PFF - Worst performance of the season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
PFF has crapped on our line all season. No way Cappa and Karras are grading that low.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 12:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Interesting

Our line has certainly not been good but Mixon has performed like the worst back in the league, by pretty much every metric, regardless of the Oline. And it's not really even close how much worse he has been then every other back in the league.

I've been a Mixon defender for years but this year he has far away been the biggest problem with the rushing game. 
Reply/Quote
As noted in other threads just in the Miami game Mixon left at least 75 rush yards and a TD on the field by dancing, overrunning holes and tripping.
Reply/Quote
I am officially off the PFF bandwagon. These grades are just pathetic.

Is it even possible to score above a 70 in this clown system?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 03:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am officially off the PFF bandwagon. These grades are just pathetic.

Is it even possible to score above a 70 in this clown system?

If someone has a good relationship with someone at PFF to explain how they grade blocking aside from pressures allowed, that would be fantastic.
Because I agree, if only like 2 pressures are given up with 0 sacks or hits, what generally happened that resulted in Williams and Collins both getting under 50.0 pass blocking grades?
2 total pressures with none being a hit or a sack doesn't seem bad to me.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So an O-Line gives up a grand total of 1 sack and 2 hits and 4 of the 5 linemen grade in the 30's and 40's? Miss me with that BS.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 03:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If someone has a good relationship with someone at PFF to explain how they grade blocking aside from pressures allowed, that would be fantastic.
Because I agree, if only like 2 pressures are given up with 0 sacks or hits, what generally happened that resulted in Williams and Collins both getting under 50.0 pass blocking grades?
2 total pressures with none being a hit or a sack doesn't seem bad to me.

Burrow had 31 attempts in week 4. If you are Collins and Williams, you kept him clean 94% of the time. I just don't get how that can give you a grade below 50. It's bizarre. 

Grading them low in the run game, OK I get it - but these are trash grades for pass protection.
Reply/Quote
It's because their hands weren't placed where PFF wanted them to be when they blocked the guy I guess.... Even though the guy didn't get close to Burrow.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 03:19 PM)Fullrock Wrote: So an O-Line gives up a grand total of 1 sack and 2 hits and 4 of the 5 linemen grade in the 30's and 40's? Miss me with that BS.

And that's where it'd be great to have clearer definitions of how their grading works.
Did an OL exhibit poor technique/footwork/power often, but it just didn't result in a pressure?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Burrow, despite holding onto the ball for too long, makes this line look way better due to his ability to evade pressure and move around the pocket

Frank Pollack deserves to be canned
Reply/Quote
1 sack
and
2 hits on Joe Burrow

Need to cut down the pressures and penalties, yet I see as a big step in the right direction.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 03:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Burrow, despite holding onto the ball for too long, makes this line look way better due to his ability to evade pressure and move around the pocket

Frank Pollack deserves to be canned

If he is evading pressure then there is pressure to begin with and PFF would have marked it as a pressure. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 03:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And that's where it'd be great to have clearer definitions of how their grading works.
Did an OL exhibit poor technique/footwork/power often, but it just didn't result in a pressure?
I don't care if they stand backwards as long as the dude they're blocking doesn't get to the QB lol.
Reply/Quote