Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OL guru believes answer to the unit is already on the roster
(09-19-2020, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Isnt it crazy that what started the OL death spiral was that fu$ked up draft from 2015? where we took Ogblewie #1  and Fisher #2 then let Whit go and they have yet to figure this out??  + Tobin still has a job after that and other bad high draft picks (Price and Ross) .
If I were in the front office right now I would be all hands on deck to search for a FA OT or Trade for one in order to keep your prize rookie QB from getting really pounded and putting him on road to the Andrew Luck situation.   

This is beginning to remind me of David Klingler or Akili Smith. Now please don’t go off because I’m not comparing either of those two to Joe Burrow. I’m comparing the situation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The 2015 draft should have absolutely cost Tobin his job. It pretty much got another lifer fired in Alexander.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 10:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jim Turner needs to do some soul searching, drop the ego, and simply use this long week to find out who the best five linemen are and work their butts off.  I don't care if the Bengals start five rookie linemen or five scrubs from other teams' practice squads so long as Joe Burrow stays upright and Joe Mixon has some holes to run through.  

This offensive line situation has given me such butthurt over the past five seasons because that was the Paul Brown secret to success.  In Cleveland he put emphasis on line play and the Browns won multiple titles.  Even in his years with the Bengals, Paul Brown brought the best linemen to the team.

WhoDey2 The bolded. That is why the right side of this Oline blows. Turner can't get over himself and he can't attend Oline meetings because his head is too big to get in the door.

He was retired, knowing full well he would never coach in the NFL again.

Then Zac Taylor gets hired as HC....
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Isnt it crazy that what started the OL death spiral was that fu$ked up draft from 2015? where we took Ogblewie #1  and Fisher #2 then let Whit go and they have yet to figure this out??  + Tobin still has a job after that and other bad high draft picks (Price and Ross) .
If I were in the front office right now I would be all hands on deck to search for a FA OT or Trade for one in order to keep your prize rookie QB from getting really pounded and putting him on road to the Andrew Luck situation.   

It’s just brutal even if some of those early picks could have been somewhat serviceable it would have helped. But some of these players can’t even be average or just below ,there just horrific. Ross was drafted 9th and he can’t even be a serviceable number 3 receiver ? Ogbuehi and Fisher were F - tackles they couldn’t just be average. Honestly as sad as this sounds at this point I’d honestly be happy if Price played average to slightly below at guard but he can’t even do that. We just have gotten zero outta a lot of these picks. One positive note I do have hope for Williams and Jordan.
Reply/Quote
Getting a QBotF like Burrow is the equivalent of buying your classic muscle car you've dreamed about owning your entire life.

Trusting Burrow's future to this OL is the equivalent of then handing the keys of that classic car over to your 16 year who just got their driver's license.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 10:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We had good OL’s here for years here under Marvin and Alexander. It really is weird how it could just completely fall off a cliff like it did.

They let it happen too. Remember the last few years of the Palmer tenure? When Bobbie, Big Willie, Levi, Steiny left, they replaced them with scrubs too. The likes of Nate Livings, Kyle Cook (decent a year or two), Dennis Roland, etc. It's like they hit Black Jack, then forget how to bet for 5 or 6 years. Those lines weren't this bad, but they were pretty shitty.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

That draft set this team back years....and then the Billy Price whiff just compounded it.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 12:07 PM)P W Wrote: Getting a QBotF like Burrow is the equivalent of buying your classic muscle car you've dreamed about owning your entire life.

Trusting Burrow's future to this OL is the equivalent of then handing the keys of that classic car over to your 16 year who just got their driver's license.

They did it to Palmer too. I often posted a similar analogy back then. I equated the lack of protection to leaving a Bugatti Veyron parked in Detroit with the windows down, keys in it, and no insurance. 

You don't invest in franchise QBs and leave em out there with piss poor line play. Unless you're the Bengals.....

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: That draft set this team back years....and then the Billy Price whiff just compounded it.

Exactly, they still haven't recovered from it.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: They let it happen too. Remember the last few years of the Palmer tenure? When Bobbie, Big Willie, Levi, Steiny left, they replaced them with scrubs too. The likes of Nate Livings, Kyle Cook (decent a year or two), Dennis Roland, etc. It's like they hit Black Jack, then forget how to bet for 5 or 6 years. Those lines weren't this bad, but they were pretty shitty.

no doubt. the OLs palmer got stuck with his last 2-3 seasons here were one of the reasons he wanted out. he asked for help there in a couple of FAs and the front office ignored him repeatedly.

still remember the 2008 preseason when he got his nose broken, only to get his arm injured twice in the season. and then he missed 75% of that season.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, you have to try him at RT. Hart is not only getting beaten physically, he is doing a lot of zigging when he shoulda been zagging. It looked to me like the right side of the line was getting abused by DLine stunts. The left side of the line seems to be holding up reasonable well but the right side is a disaster.

BTW, where are the naked bootlegs or moving the pocket or misdirections etc?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, you have to try him at RT.  Hart is not only getting beaten physically, he is doing a lot of zigging when he shoulda been zagging.  It looked to me like the right side of the line was getting abused by DLine stunts.  The left side of the line seems to be holding up reasonable well but the right side is a disaster.

BTW, where are the naked bootlegs or moving the pocket or misdirections etc?

Right and this is Hart's 6th season ! It's not like he's some youngin with limited snaps his first year or two.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 02:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right and this is Hart's 6th season ! It's not like he's some youngin with limited snaps his first year or two.

Yep. Hart is what he is at this point. Fred loves to bring up how much he improved from 2018 to 2019, but improving from bottom of the barrel level play isn’t really that hard to do. We can argue over whether he’s the absolute worst starting OT in the league all we want, but the fact is he’s just not good enough. Maybe on an OL that has a bunch of studs next to him he wouldn’t be as exposed, but definitely not here. And not in NY where they also had a terrible OL.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 02:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right and this is Hart's 6th season ! It's not like he's some youngin with limited snaps his first year or two.

Yep.  He should be well beyond mental errors.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:15 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  He should be well beyond mental errors.

I've seen a couple of people try to say how Hart was better in game 2. And he was, however  - only because he was so damned bad in game 1. He still wasn't good in game 2. And he was still making bad mental mistakes. Taking plays off. Etc.

Here are two example plays from the Browns game:

https://twitter.com/BrazyBengal/status/1307060558974382081

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFSSLLCHnpq/?igshid=ua7dh7ysxh8l
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:43 PM)P W Wrote: I've seen a couple of people try to say how Hart was better in game 2. And he was, however  - only because he was so damned bad in game 1. He still wasn't good in game 2. And he was still making bad mental mistakes. Taking plays off. Etc.

I hate to accuse a guy of taking plays off when it probably is a matter of just not being good enough.  But not being in the right place or going after the wrong guy is just plain inexcusable.  Especially if the guy next to you is such a newbie at the position.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:43 PM)P W Wrote: I've seen a couple of people try to say how Hart was better in game 2. And he was, however  - only because he was so damned bad in game 1. He still wasn't good in game 2. And he was still making bad mental mistakes. Taking plays off. Etc.

Exactly

He gets his ass handed to him 4 games in a row then we play a team with an average or below LDE and it's yipeee Dancing Hart's getting it together now.

If he hasn't got it by now he's umm not going to "get it" ever.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:47 PM)McC Wrote: I hate to accuse a guy of taking plays off when it probably is a matter of just not being good enough.  But not being in the right place or going after the wrong guy is just plain inexcusable.  Especially if the guy nest to you is such a newbie at the position.

I wonder sometimes with these kinda guys if it's not just that their heart, no pun intended, isn't really fully in the game ? I always thought that was Ogbuehis problem. And I wonder if it's not Ross's problem ?

They "like" the game and all that goes with it. But they don't really love it when the rubber actually meets the road.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lapham seems pretty high on Adeniji.  I am still in complete confusion over Price not starting at RG.

I think he was originally supposed to start at RG against the Browns but tweaked his ankle or something this past week? Not enough that it was on the DNP injury report or anything but that there were concerns. I could be wrong but I thought I heard that on one of the Bengals podcasts.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 07:25 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I think he was originally supposed to start at RG against the Browns but tweaked his ankle or something this past week? Not enough that it was on the DNP injury report or anything but that there were concerns. I could be wrong but I thought I heard that on one of the Bengals podcasts.

I think it might be Price you're talking about.  I read he was supposed to start but tweaked his ankle.

Reply/Quote