Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Obama's "Coffee Salute"
So most of us will remember when Obama saluted with a coffee in his hand and how the right lost their collective minds.

Here's a quick reminder for those who will feign that they "didn't care that much" about it.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/09/23/%E2%80%98how-disrespectful-was-that%E2%80%99-karl-rove-blasts-obama%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98latte-salute%E2%80%99

Quote:President Barack Obama is stirring up a whole ‘latte’ controversy tonight after he returned a formal military salute by saluting two Marines with a coffee cup in hand.

Sean Hannity and Karl Rove discussed the gesture – dubbed the “latte salute” – tonight on “Hannity.”
Rove blasted the move as “insensitive,” but asked, “Are we surprised?” He dubbed Obama as a "chai-swillin’, golf-playin’, basketball trash-talkin’” commander-in-chief.

“Look, he knows there are going to be two Marines at the bottom of Marine One when he gets off, and the idea that I’m going to just jaunt out there with my chai tea, and give them the old … you know it’s not a latte salute, it’s a chai salute, because he drinks chai tea, but I mean please, how disrespectful was that?”
Hear Rove sound off above, and watch the “latte salute” – posted to Instagram by the White House – in the video below.

[Image: hannity_rove_salute.jpg]

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3803575164001/?#sp=show-clips

Quote:‘Coffee cup salute’ a subconscious slip for President Obama?

So I wonder how FOX will handle no salute?

Ignoring that he just dropped his umbrella...lol...
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
This is dumb.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-29-2018, 11:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is dumb.

You're too kind...I try.   Mellow

All seriousness aside, I know it's dumb.  So was the "coffee salute" kerfuffle.  That's why I shared it.  Smirk
Did anyone here care about it? If not, and I don't recall that anyone did, then there's zero point to this thread. We all know that certain aspects of our media are monstrously hypocritical, we didn't need this thread to remind us of this fact.
(10-29-2018, 11:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Did anyone here care about it?  If not, and I don't recall that anyone did, then there's zero point to this thread.  We all know that certain aspects of our media are monstrously hypocritical, we didn't need this thread to remind us of this fact.

Not on this version of the board.  

But yes.  Several posted that it "proved" Obama doesn't respect the military.  And many of us made fun of those posters.

Thanks!
(10-29-2018, 11:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: So most of us will remember when Obama saluted with a coffee in his hand and how the right lost their collective minds.
Here's a quick reminder for those who will feign that they "didn't care that much" about it.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/09/23/%E2%80%98how-disrespectful-was-that%E2%80%99-karl-rove-blasts-obama%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98latte-salute%E2%80%99

So I wonder how FOX will handle no salute?
Ignoring that he just dropped his umbrella...lol...

LOL Fox will not hand it; a right wing media which created a daily storm in every Obama Chai tea cup, now looks the other way when their Golden Boy shows us who he really is. Again.  

In a poltical climate in which defense of the current president generally involves false equivalence (both sides do it!), this would maybe be "de-equivalence"?  

ON the flip side, Trump ignoring the salute (not required anyway), and right wing media ignoring the ignoring, suddenly becomes NOT news- or analysis-worthy. Here the instincts of the "liberal" press complement Fox and friends.  Don't you have something better to do, Dino, than calling attention to "insignificant" contrasts in news coverage/emphasis on a message board?  Isn't this one of those things we "already know" about right wing media?

The picture of Rove with the cup salute, all the air time dissecting what all this "meant" about Obama's competence and "Americaness" brings us back to a very different time, seemingly, when presidents were expected to act "presidential."   Managing what is or is not "insignificant" may be as important to managing public perception as generating big news (Benghazi!) where and when necessary.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-29-2018, 12:30 PM)Dill Wrote: Don't you have something better to do, Dino, than calling attention to "insignificant" contrasts in news coverage/emphasis on a message board?  Isn't this one of those things we "already know" about right wing media? 

If he pointed out this type of inconsistency when it's perpetrated by other news sources you'd have a point.  As he does not, you do not.  You even reinforce the reason this thread is so inane, by implying that only right leaning media displays this type of bias or inconsistency.  Nice attempt at White Knighting though.
(10-29-2018, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not on this version of the board.  

But yes.  Several posted that it "proved" Obama doesn't respect the military.  And many of us made fun of those posters.

Thanks!

People did post about the tea cup salute. Also the "fake" picture of Obama firing a shotgun, and all the diagrams showing photo analysis claiming it was doctored.  To be fair, though, the "bow" to the Saudi King and the Japanese emperor got way more discussion.

I think it is interesting to track the shift in Fox trajectory as all their perception-management suddenly has to go forward on different grounds.  The president who got out of service with "bone spurs" and dissed a POW, garbling details of his imprisonment to make him look like a coward, has to be defended at all costs.  Remember the claim Obama's administration was "the most corrupt ever"?  Obama did not take Russia seriously? Was not creating jobs? Was "lying" about Obamacare?

All of the standards systematically affirmed in tracking Obama "violations" of presidential and Constitutional norms are suddenly, systematically neturalized every day in Trump defenses. 
(10-29-2018, 12:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If he pointed out this type of inconsistency when it's perpetrated by other news sources you'd have a point.  As he does not, you do not.  You even reinforce the reason this thread is so inane, by implying that only right leaning media displays this type of bias or inconsistency.  Nice attempt at White Knighting though.

Looks like he didn't point out your point--"both sides do it"--so he can't have a point. lol

Your intervention on this thread brings us to one of the central issue's of media literacy today--false balance.
If you are going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all, so Trump wins this one. LOL

Actually I don't recall this particular event.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Proper courtesy is to not render the Salute if both hands are full.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-29-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Proper courtesy is to not render the Salute if both hands are full.

Both hands weren't full.  He used his free hand to grab the rail as he walked up the steps.
(10-29-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Proper courtesy is to not render the Salute if both hands are full.

Or out of choice. Higher ranking officers/officials are not obligated to return a salute. The obligation is only on the lower ranking member to offer a salute.
(10-29-2018, 02:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Or out of choice. Higher ranking officers/officials are not obligated to return a salute. The obligation is only on the lower ranking member to offer a salute.

Of course, he chose to return the salute of a Maoist military officer, but not these two. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-29-2018, 02:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Or out of choice. Higher ranking officers/officials are not obligated to return a salute. The obligation is only on the lower ranking member to offer a salute.

But you're missing the very important point that...OBAMA!   Smirk

(10-29-2018, 02:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Of course, he chose to return the salute of a Maoist military officer, but not these two. Ninja

Yeah, but Obama bowed!  Ninja
(10-29-2018, 12:36 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You even reinforce the reason this thread is so inane, by implying that only right leaning media displays this type of bias or inconsistency.  

FoxNews and Breibart are pretty much the champions of biased news reporting.

MSNBC tries, but they just can't compete.

And I think we should all point out hypocrisy whenever we see it.  Otherwise it will just keep getting worse.
(10-30-2018, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I think we should all point out hypocrisy whenever we see it.  Otherwise it will just keep getting worse.

I completely agree, however, you're directing this comment to the wrong person.
(10-30-2018, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I completely agree, however, you're directing this comment to the wrong person.

I am directing it at the person who said threads about hypocrisy in the media are worthless and inane.
(10-30-2018, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am directing it at the person who said threads about hypocrisy in the media are worthless and inane.

Incorrect.  You are directing it at the person who said that selective hypocrisy is worthless and lame.  You should be directing it at those actually engaged in said hypocrisy.  This would require consistency on your part, hence your hesitancy.
(10-30-2018, 09:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Incorrect.  You are directing it at the person who said that selective hypocrisy is worthless and lame.  You should be directing it at those actually engaged in said hypocrisy.  This would require consistency on your part, hence your hesitancy.

Humans, like the rat in the Skinner box, are obsessively driven by tickling the pleasure center of their brains.  When being a hypocrite stops being so damn intrinsically rewarding, I'll stop doing it.  Don't hold your breath, though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to post some memes on facebook to remind everyone how anyone who disagrees with me politically hates America.