Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama's Secret Struggle to Retaliate against Putin
A fascinating report by the Washington Post of Obama's handling of the Russian attack on the presidential election.

His personal challenge to Putin may have prevented the final stages of the attack, and/or he may have "choked" by not retaliating harder and immediately, for fear of politicizing the election.

Jeh Johnson's attempt to warn and work with some states to prevent hacking were rebuffed as government interference.

When Obama turned to Congress for a bipartisan affirmation of the threat, he was initally rebuffed.

The intel on Putin appears to be HUMINT from inside his Kremlin staff, an asset which may have been burned with revelation of the intel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/national-security/obama-putin-election-hacking/?utm_term=.c65cc4282c9c

Early last August, an envelope with extraordinary handling restrictions arrived at the White House. Sent by courier from the CIA, it carried “eyes only” instructions that its contents be shown to just four people: President Barack Obama and three senior aides.

Inside was an intelligence bombshell, a report drawn from sourcing deep inside the Russian government that detailed Russian President Vladi­mir Putin’s direct involvement in a cyber campaign to disrupt and discredit the U.S. presidential race.

But it went further. The intelligence captured Putin’s specific instructions on the operation’s audacious objectives — defeat or at least damage the Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton, and help elect her opponent, Donald Trump.

But at the highest levels of government, among those responsible for managing the crisis, the first moment of true foreboding about Russia’s intentions arrived with that CIA intelligence
.The material was so sensitive that CIA Director John Brennan kept it out of the President’s Daily Brief, concerned that even that restricted report’s distribution was too broad. The CIA package came with instructions that it be returned immediately after it was read. To guard against leaks, subsequent meetings in the Situation Room followed the same protocols as planning sessions for the Osama bin Laden raid.Declassified document

It took time for other parts of the intelligence community to endorse the CIA’s view. Only in the administration’s final weeks in office did it tell the public, in a declassified report, what officials had learned from Brennan in August — that Putin was working to elect Trump....

Obama also approved a previously undisclosed covert measure that authorized planting cyber weapons in Russia’s infrastructure, the digital equivalent of bombs that could be detonated if the United States found itself in an escalating exchange with Moscow. The project, which Obama approved in a covert-action finding, was still in its planning stages when Obama left office. It would be up to President Trump to decide whether to use the capability.....

In political terms, Russia’s interference was the crime of the century, an unprecedented and largely successful destabilizing attack on American democracy. It was a case that took almost no time to solve, traced to the Kremlin through cyber-forensics and intelligence on Putin’s involvement. And yet, because of the divergent ways Obama and Trump have handled the matter, Moscow appears unlikely to face proportionate consequences.

Those closest to Obama defend the administration’s response to Russia’s meddling. They note that by August it was too late to prevent the transfer to WikiLeaks and other groups of the troves of emails that would spill out in the ensuing months. They believe that a series of warnings — including one that Obama delivered to Putin in September — prompted Moscow to abandon any plans of further aggression, such as sabotage of U.S. voting systems.

But other administration officials look back on the Russia period with remorse.

“It is the hardest thing about my entire time in government to defend,” said a former senior Obama administration official involved in White House deliberations on Russia. “I feel like we sort of choked.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I posted the same story in another thread but I wanted to add this since you started a fresh one.

Trump has had access to the same intel, the world was told about it DURING A debate and every day since then Trump as said it didn't happen, or it might not have been Russia, or some other excuses.

He and his supporters will now try and swing the story away from his complete and utter ignorance and focus on why Obama didn't do more to stop it.

that's the world we live in.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-24-2017, 08:19 AM)GMDino Wrote: I posted the same story in another thread but I wanted to add this since you started a fresh one.

Trump has had access to the same intel, the world was told about it DURING A debate and every day since then Trump as said it didn't happen, or it might not have been Russia, or some other excuses.

He and his supporters will now try and swing the story away from his complete and utter ignorance and focus on why Obama didn't do more to stop it.

OOPS I guess I missed your post. Anyway, this report deserves its own thread, since it throws up so many connections between partisan politics and weakened national security.

One interesting point made by the article is that some Republicans doubted the intel, assumed it was just an effort to "play" them in Hillary's favor. E.g., Brian Kemp, Secretary of State from George, disputed the intel and is still skeptical that Russia interfered in the election at all.

Obama assumed Hillary would win and so set up mechanisms for retribution to be used when she assumed office. And he did not work more forcefully to convince the electorate of Russia's actions, assuming (probably correctly) that would itself prove as disruptive as the hacking.

Then Trump won and Russia was off the hook. Ever since, we have had a gaping hole in our national security, as our #1 foreign adversary has unprecedented access to the Oval Office. The country is crippled by the counter-narrative that no significant interference with the election occurred, and if it did no one knows if it was really the Russians.
I found the testimony from Johnson? this week interesting. Basically the Clinton's refused help when offered. Why would Clinton refuse help from a democratic administration notifying her she's being hacked? And DWS seems to dispute Johnson, who seemed credible to me.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/theoval/2017/06/24/tweet-obama-trump-russia-tried-influence-election/426013001/

Quote: President Trump appeared to acknowledge that Russia attempted to influence the 2016 presidential election, but only so he could blame former president Barack Obama.

“Just out: The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?” Trump tweeted Friday night.
Quote:[/url]

Follow
[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump
Just out: The Obama Administration knew far in advance of November 8th about election meddling by Russia. Did nothing about it. WHY?
8:43 PM - 23 Jun 2017

By Saturday afternoon he tweeted again saying to focus on the Obama Administration and not "T". It is not clear who "T" was from his tweet.
Quote:

Follow
[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump
Since the Obama Administration was told way before the 2016 Election that the Russians were meddling, why no action? Focus on them, not T!
4:28 PM - 24 Jun 2017

•  

•  9,5249,524 Retweets

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=878711517537083392] 35,40935,409 likes

This is a rare instance where the president has acknowledged what the intelligence community and bipartisan members of Congress already have, which is that Russia attempted to interfere with the presidential election.

Until Friday, Trump has remained vague about whether he believes the Russians meddled. Earlier this week the president said on Twitter that conversations regarding the alleged meddling were “all a big Dem HOAX!” and “excuse for losing the election!”

“I have not sat down and talked with him about that specific thing,” Press Secretary Sean Spicer said to reporters earlier this week after being asked if Trump believed the Russian government interfered. Conversations about Russian interference has been going on for nearly a year and is now being investigated by multiple congressional committees and a special counsel.

But following a Washington Post report Friday Trump seemed to have changed his approach.

The Washington Post published a lengthy investigation of how the Obama administration had handled discoveries that the Russians were attempting to influence the outcome of the 2016 election. The report shows the handwringing that officials went through on how to respond and how and when to alert the public.

While Obama did authorize a cyber operation that would make it possible to retaliate against Russia, it was still in the early stages when Trump took office.

In an interview with Fox News, which is set to air Sunday, Trump said: “I just heard today for the first time that Obama knew about Russia a long time before the election, and he did nothing about it.”

“The CIA gave him information on Russia a long time before they even — before the election,” he said. The question is, if he had the information, why didn't he do something about it? He should have done something about it.”

Let the spin begin.

It's will not be about Trump's denials...it will be about what Obama did and didn't do.

Meanwhile Trump has done nothing with what Obama set up for the next POTS except to claim this was all made up.

So much winning.  Yawn
(06-24-2017, 08:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/theoval/2017/06/24/tweet-obama-trump-russia-tried-influence-election/426013001/

Let the spin begin.

It's will not be about Trump's denials...it will be about what Obama did and didn't do.

Meanwhile Trump has done nothing with what Obama set up for the next POTS except to claim this was all made up.

So much winning.  Yawn

Are you sick of winning yet?
(06-24-2017, 08:19 AM)GMDino Wrote: I posted the same story in another thread but I wanted to add this since you started a fresh one.

How could Obama know about something Trump claims didn't happen?

Makes as much sense as accusing Comey of lying then two weeks later claiming he tricked him into telling the truth. Um, if Comey lied Trump didn't trick Comey into telling the truth. If Comey told the truth, Trump lied about Comey lying.
(06-24-2017, 02:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Except he did do something.  Probably not enough.

Would you rather he had made everything public and appeared to have helped Clinton?  Or would you rather he act behind the scenes?

I would have rather he stepped up and did the job of protecting the nation. Hillary wasn't going to win because she was flawed. The only ones who thought she was were those in their own echo chamber.

Like it or not the job of president is to be feared by those who are our adversaries. Obama was a beta.... how many leaders made him look like a chump throughout the years.

And if we are being intellectually honest the last president who was actually good in projecting strength to the world was Reagan. The Soviets feared him. At least trump has some people sitting uneasy around the world.
(06-24-2017, 02:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There was a lot to like about Obama, but unless you're a star struck admirer of his you have to admit that his foreign policy game was exceedingly weak.  He was good (even great) at dealing with traditional friends, much better at this than Bush.  He was, however, viewed as weak by the more hostile countries like China, Russia N. Korea and Iran.  Obama's response in this situation alone betrays an extreme reluctance to engage in any actions that may escalate tensions with a hostile nation.  He was very risk averse and a man like Putin, who is the polar opposite, will walk all over an executive like Obama.  Hence his annexing a huge chunk of Ukraine with minimal consequences.  Certainly no consequences of note.

Great post. I wouldn't have bothered responding had I read yours.
(06-25-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would have rather he stepped up and did the job of protecting the nation.    Hillary wasn't going to win because she was flawed.   The only ones who thought she was were those in their own echo chamber.  

So, again, what do think he should have done? Exposed the entire deal during the campaigns or not?

(06-25-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Like it or not the job of president is to be feared by those who are our adversaries.  Obama was a beta....   how many leaders made him look like a chump throughout the years.

Feared? i did enjoy the brief time here when the board wasn't about he had the biggest...you know. Versus having a POTUS who can negotiate and work with others. In your absence I forgot your love of the Russian Iron Fist method of ruling the world.

However current world leaders (sans the dictators & Putin) have all scoffed at and made fun of Trump so I'm sure he's really out there making them afraid of him.

(06-25-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And if we are being intellectually honest....

Welp, that's the end of that post. Smirk
(06-25-2017, 10:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: So, again, what do think he should have done? Exposed the entire deal during the campaigns or not?

Feared? i did enjoy the brief time here when the board wasn't about he had the biggest...you know. Versus having a POTUS who can negotiate and work with others. In your absence I forgot your love of the Russian Iron Fist method of ruling the world.

However current world leaders (sans the dictators & Putin) have all scoffed at and made fun of Trump so I'm sure he's really out there making them afraid of him.

Welp, that's the end of that post. Smirk

1. Why wouldn't he expose the whole deal? That's exactly what he should have done. Too bad he was worried about freeing transsexual prisoners and paying off Iran to protect his legacy.

2. sorry if alpha talk bothers you. Please tag your thread title with beta's only and I will be sure to pass it by.

3. If you are being honest you can't just be an obama cheerleader. SS was spot on from the pro obama point of view.
(06-25-2017, 11:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Why wouldn't he expose the whole deal?   That's exactly what he should have done.    Too bad he was worried about freeing transsexual prisoners and paying off Iran to protect his legacy.  

Non-sequiturs. Much like Trump you don't understand how there are lots of different issues at the same time. You particular fear of transsexuals and your lack of understanding on the last two have no affect of the first one.

(06-25-2017, 11:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 2. sorry if alpha talk bothers you.   Please tag your thread title with beta's only and I will be sure to pass it by.  

Eh, I just was raised to understand that the bigger they are the harder they fall. By a man who I personally know kicked arse when he had too but preferred to settle things like gentlemen. However since you asked for a labeling to keep you from being triggered be aware that none of my posts will be about having the biggest...you know. So you can pass them all up. Smirk

(06-25-2017, 11:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 3. If you are being honest you can't just be an obama cheerleader.   SS was spot on from the pro obama point of view.

ME being honest is different than saying if "we" can be honest. Cool
(06-25-2017, 11:06 AM)GMDino Wrote: Non-sequiturs. Much like Trump you don't understand how there are lots of different issues at the same time. You particular fear of transsexuals and your lack of understanding on the last two have no affect of the first one.

Eh, I just was raised to understand that the bigger they are the harder they fall. By a man who I personally know kicked arse when he had too but preferred to settle things like gentlemen. However since you asked for a labeling to keep you from being triggered be aware that none of my posts will be about having the biggest...you know. So you can pass them all up. Smirk

ME being honest is different than saying if "we" can be honest. Cool

So there were so many issues at play that he couldn't protect he integrity of his own party in an election?

He got pushed around by foreign leaders. Face it..... he was a beta chump.

When someone sneaks in your bedroom window the time for being a gentleman is over. That's what he was told Russia was doing. Yet he just sat there like a chump worrying about his legacy and releasing a mentally deranged criminal.

Unless you mark a thread betas only I will post but you should expect to be uneasy with the alpha speak.
(06-25-2017, 11:29 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So there were so many issues at play that he couldn't protect he integrity of his own party in an election?  

He got pushed around by foreign leaders.   Face it..... he was a beta chump.  

When someone sneaks in your bedroom window the time for being a gentleman is over.   That's what he was told Russia was doing.    Yet he just sat there like a chump worrying about his legacy and releasing a mentally deranged criminal.

And again he did do something.  I believe I said it may have not been enough.

I also know that the current POTUS knew about it and insisted it was all made up.  Russia may not even have done it.  That all 17 agencies could be wrong.

And his supporters ate it up.

They still do.

Lastly thanks for completely missing the point of diplomacy.  I like that there are some constants in life and some people never change.   ThumbsUp
(06-25-2017, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: And again he did do something.  I believe I said it may have not been enough.

I also know that the current POTUS knew about it and insisted it was all made up.  Russia may not even have done it.  That all 17 agencies could be wrong.

And his supporters ate it up.

They still do.

Lastly thanks for completely missing the point of diplomacy.  I like that there are some constants in life and some people never change.   ThumbsUp

1. Betas always use half measures. That's why they are betas.

2. Trump was not able to do anything. The reality was the DNC was ran by countless bafoons. They got their emails hacked due to their incompetence. That's no ones fault except democrats. Instead of building Roman columns for obama maybe they should have invested in some cyber security like the GOP. Dems could have also cooperated with Law enforcement. They chose not to do so.

Trump has signed orders to increase cyber security and allow the military for oversight on this matter. So yes when he got in there he did something straight away.

Obama handled this as he handled every issue. Like a weakling.
(06-25-2017, 01:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Betas always use half measures.   That's why they are betas.  

2. Trump was not able to do anything.   The reality was the DNC was ran by countless bafoons.   They got their emails hacked due to their incompetence.   That's no ones fault except democrats.   Instead of building Roman columns for obama maybe they should have invested in some cyber security like the GOP.    Dems could have also cooperated with Law enforcement.  They chose not to do so.  

Trump has signed orders to increase cyber security and allow the military for oversight on this matter.    So yes when he got in there he did something straight away.  

Obama handled this as he handled every issue.  Like a weakling.

And people like Trump "sign orders" that have had no real affect.

And they deny that the Russian thing even happened...until they can blame Obama.

Those "alphas" sure like blaming others and not doing anything.   Hilarious
(06-25-2017, 01:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Betas always use half measures.   That's why they are betas. 

Obama handled this as he handled every issue.  Like a weakling.

Yo Lucie!!

I think maybe Jesus was a Beta and Muhammad was an Alpha.  Jesus turned the other cheek. Muhammad kicked down doors and took names. How many battles did Jesus win?

What do you think?  I want to hear an Alpha viewpoint on this.
(06-25-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   At least trump has some people sitting uneasy around the world.

Yes. Japan, South Korea, our NATO allies, and 2/3rds of the US population.
(06-25-2017, 10:56 PM)Dill Wrote: Yo Lucie!!

I think maybe Jesus was a Beta and Muhammad was an Alpha.  Jesus turned the other cheek. Muhammad kicked down doors and took names. How many battles did Jesus win?

What do you think?  I want to hear an Alpha viewpoint on this.

Please show me at any point where Jesus was a coward and worried more for his own legacy over others around him or his followers.

He also led his people to write the New Testament.
(06-25-2017, 10:59 PM)Dill Wrote: Yes. Japan, South Korea, our NATO allies, and 2/3rds of the US population.

On which dimension do you live on where 2/3rds of the country are against trump?

Heck he now has 71% approval rating for his temporary Muslim Ban and extreme vetting.