Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama's broken campaign promises...
...and the one's he kept.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Just for fun to look at and discus.

[Image: Capture.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
That's actually seems like a fairly high % for a politician......now for the bonus phase......How many of those kept promises were actually better for the nation vs. just building Obama's political legacy?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-11-2017, 02:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: That's actually seems like a fairly high % for a politician......now for the bonus phase......How many of those kept promises were actually better for the nation vs. just building Obama's political legacy?

All depends on your ideology.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-11-2017, 02:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: That's actually seems like a fairly high % for a politician......now for the bonus phase......How many of those kept promises were actually better for the nation vs. just building Obama's political legacy?

(01-11-2017, 02:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: All depends on your ideology.

Yeah.  You would have to go through each one and determine for yourself I guess.
Obama keeps promise = bad because Obama's goals and aspirations are treasonous and/or awful
Obama compromises = bad because the USA should never strike a deal with a muslim
Obama breaks promise = bad because Obama is a liar

VERDICT = 100% bad
(01-11-2017, 05:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Obama keeps promise = bad because Obama's goals and aspirations are treasonous and/or awful
Obama compromises = bad because the USA should never strike a deal with a muslim

VERDICT = 100% bad

Source: GOP
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(01-11-2017, 05:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Obama keeps promise = good because Obama's goals and aspirations are wonderful/the best thing ever
Obama compromises = good because the USA is a democracy and we should respect our elected officials
Obama breaks promise = good because those promises were just to get cis scum white independents to vote for him

VERDICT = 100% good

Combine this with your analysis and you've accurately described the rhetoric for the past 8 years. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(01-11-2017, 05:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Obama keeps promise = bad because Obama's goals and aspirations are treasonous and/or awful

VERDICT = 100% bad

(01-11-2017, 05:56 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Source: GOP

(01-11-2017, 06:05 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Combine this with your analysis and you've accurately described the rhetoric for the past 8 years. 

Let's not pretend that one side is any better than the other.  The Dems were just as bad or worse with Bush for 8 years, and they'll pull out their true colors over the next 4 years for sure.  It's just the way our system runs.

Politics >>>>> Public Service or the good of the country......unless it means more votes or a better legacy for the historians
(01-12-2017, 01:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: Let's not pretend that one side is any better than the other.  The Dems were just as bad or worse with Bush for 8 years, and they'll pull out their true colors over the next 4 years for sure.  It's just the way our system runs.

Politics >>>>> Public Service or the good of the country......unless it means more votes or a better legacy for the historians
Bingo !

It would be nice not to fixate on the past.

Let's fix shit !
(01-12-2017, 01:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: Let's not pretend that one side is any better than the other.  The Dems were just as bad or worse with Bush for 8 years, and they'll pull out their true colors over the next 4 years for sure.  It's just the way our system runs.

Bingo. Like the Republicans during Obama's term who were more interested in seeing Obama failing than in fixing the country, you can already see that Democrats plan to do the same with Trump.
(01-12-2017, 12:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Bingo. Like the Republicans during Obama's term who were more interested in seeing Obama failing than in fixing the country, you can already see that Democrats plan to do the same with Trump.

You know what they say about turnabout.

It's really a symptom of our society. When your leaders would rather be right than do what's right, everyone suffers and that attitude trickles down.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(01-12-2017, 12:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Bingo. Like the Republicans during Obama's term who were more interested in seeing Obama failing than in fixing the country, you can already see that Democrats plan to do the same with Trump.

It's because the parties themselves are about elections, not policy. It's one of the flaws in our system that the parties have no formal structure within government. The only real structure and authority they have are the committees that raise funds and sell the electorate their candidates. Sure, there is some unity among the elected officials that ran under the same banner, but it is all surface level.

With the two-party system and parties that really only have a hand in elections, we can expect nothing more than this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-12-2017, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's because the parties themselves are about elections, not policy. It's one of the flaws in our system that the parties have no formal structure within government. The only real structure and authority they have are the committees that raise funds and sell the electorate their candidates. Sure, there is some unity among the elected officials that ran under the same banner, but it is all surface level.

With the two-party system and parties that really only have a hand in elections, we can expect nothing more than this.

Yep. I find myself becoming more and more disillusioned with our current state of political affairs at the federal level. I actually find myself wishing I could go back to being a less informed voter and just voting for only those with an R by their names. I feel like it'd be better to be ignorant than informed, at least in terms of my emotional health when it comes to the effect politics has on it.

I blame the liberals for this.  Mellow
(01-12-2017, 01:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. I find myself becoming more and more disillusioned with our current state of political affairs at the federal level. I actually find myself wishing I could go back to being a less informed voter and just voting for only those with an R by their names. I feel like it'd be better to be ignorant than informed, at least in terms of my emotional health when it comes to the effect politics has on it.

I try to focus more on state and local level stuff, but it's hard not to get sucked into the vortex of the news cycle about the President-Elect.

(01-12-2017, 01:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. I find myself becoming more and more disillusioned with our current state of political affairs at the federal level. I actually find myself wishing I could go back to being a less informed voter and just voting for only those with an R by their names. I feel like it'd be better to be ignorant than informed, at least in terms of my emotional health when it comes to the effect politics has on it.

The red pill is never easy.

Become informed as possible (across all parties), discuss issues (subtly, politely) amongst your peers, take note of those with a mind to digest your discussions, become active in local government, and implore the people found in fruitful discussions to do the same.

You know my opinion on what party affords us the highest probability of instituting change.
That party needs an expanded base and more people dedicated to leadership roles.
If we do not participate in affecting change, do we really have a right to criticize the lack of it ?
Liberty has never been easy, nor will it ever be.

What if Trump is actually worse than Obama?  The whole "Both sides complain no matter what" argument is only a true 50/50 split if both candidates are operationally similar or the same.  

I have to wonder what would have been said about Obama if he had half the red flags Trump has been waving around, but that's just me.

Meh, I get what you are saying but it's pretty hard to deny there might be reasons someone could really dislike Trump that don't have to do with party-line brainwashing.  
(01-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What if Trump is actually worse than Obama?  The whole "Both sides complain no matter what" argument is only a true 50/50 split if both candidates are operationally similar or the same.  

I have to wonder what would have been said about Obama if he had half the red flags Trump has been waving around, but that's just me.

Meh, I get what you are saying but it's pretty hard to deny there might be reasons someone could really dislike Trump that don't have to do with party-line brainwashing.  

I am hoping that Trump will step off of his high horse, just like Obama and many other presidents.
They all talk big bloated promises, until in office and start to understand the TRUE gravity of the position.
I predict that within a year you will see a more reserved Trump.
The burden of the office may even put him into poor health.
(01-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What if Trump is actually worse than Obama?  The whole "Both sides complain no matter what" argument is only a true 50/50 split if both candidates are operationally similar or the same.  

I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton, and I agree that there's plenty of reasons to dislike Trump legitimately..........but the Sheeple have spoken.

p.s. - For the record - I think Trump is a joke.  I don't think he wanted to win aside from joy to his ego and pride.  However, like I said numerous times with Obama, I do not support Trump, but I support the President of the US who represents us all and the country.  Thus as president he gets my support.  Undermining the president undermines us all.

Finally, my belief is that he'll stay in office 24 months + 1 day and then resign.  Thus allowing his VP to be president and allowing said VP to run for two terms, by serving less than two years after the President resigns.
(01-12-2017, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I get what you are saying but it's pretty hard to deny there might be reasons someone could really dislike Trump that don't have to do with party-line brainwashing.  

To be sure, there are legitimate criticisms one can levy against Trump. Just as there were against Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. etc. The problem is that BOTH sides have staunch defenders of what we might think as indefensible problems. And there are even people who will acknowledge that both sides are guilty of this and then try to say one side is worse! 

I don't mind people criticizing actual problems, but when it starts to erode down into name calling and nasty generalizations, it becomes useless and only further serves to divide this country.

Obama was supposed to unite this country, but after 8 years, I dare say this country is MORE divided than before he was inaugurated (though I don't blame this only on Obama but on him, both the Democrats AND Republicans, and the media). Unfortunately, it looks as if that trend is going to continue.
(01-13-2017, 01:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be sure, there are legitimate criticisms one can levy against Trump. Just as there were against Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. etc. The problem is that BOTH sides have staunch defenders of what we might think as indefensible problems. And there are even people who will acknowledge that both sides are guilty of this and then try to say one side is worse! 

I don't mind people criticizing actual problems, but when it starts to erode down into name calling and nasty generalizations, it becomes useless and only further serves to divide this country.

Obama was supposed to unite this country, but after 8 years, I dare say this country is MORE divided than before he was inaugurated (though I don't blame this only on Obama but on him, both the Democrats AND Republicans, and the media). Unfortunately, it looks as if that trend is going to continue.

So you DO read Trump's tweets!   Smirk