Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observations from my 1st Bengals Game
Well...just got home. It was about 4 hours and 10 minutes. Wasn't expecting the Bengals to win, but was also not expecting them to lose 51-14. My wife lived in NO so she's a Saints fan and I do kind of root for them when no against the Bengals.

As most of you know...you can actually see a lot more at the game than at person. So my observations, in no particular order:

Defense
-Fejelem WAS basically used as a LB. He was used a lot. Many of us called for that, but you saw the end result.
-The defense has way more issues than scheme:
-The players seem to be confused and not be in the right spots.
-On several runs by the Saints like 6 Bengals would all run to the ballcarrier allowing the guy to easily cut outside for a huge game.
-Sometimes 1 of our guys would get blocked and not even touch the RB for like 7-8 yards.
-Throws of 5-7 yards are almost always open against us.
-The 2nd half was painful. Everyone in the stadium knew they were going to run the ball....and they'd still routinely gain 10-11-12 yards a run.
-The tackling is bad. No surprise. Williams seems to be the worst tackler. Bates missed a tackle or two also.
-Evans gets blocked extremely easily.
-This just looks like a very poorly coached unit. It's more than playcalling. They just don't understand the defense and where to be.

Offense
-The offensive line is horrible. The run blocking isn't there.
-Routinely a play could be called to say the right. There would be no hole and Mixon would bounce it outside for a nice gain.
-Mixon is phenominal. IF we had a good line, he'd be a Top 5 back easily.
-Our offense is brutal. Dalton throws the ball as soon as he can which usually results in a 3 yard throw. Sometimes they'll need 10 yards and throw it 3.
-Glenn is a bust. We need 3 new lineman for next year. Both tackle spots and a Guard.
-Pollack isn't a miracle worker nor has he toughened the line. There was a play where the Bengals pulled Glenn in front of Mixon and it resulted in a nice gain...BUT Glenn was in front of Mixon and there were 2 smaller defenders. Instead of getting physical and knocking them down so Mixon could do a HUGE GAIN...Glenn did nothing and let Mixon get tackled.
-Ross just doesn't seem to be going hard out there. I know that Dalton underthrew him on a couple, but he just doesn't look like a guy that understands the offense and where to be. On the one underthrow, Ross didn't even appear to be looking back at Dalton.

Stadium/Experience
-Thanks to those who recommend that I drive in from 75. After the game, I drove out then back and WOW...What an amazing view of the city!
-I parked in Kentucky for $5 and walked over the Roebling Bridge. The Bridge is cool. $5 parking? Awesome! Baseball parking is usually $8-20 at games I go to for MLB. NFL Parking is usually $40ish. I saw parking right near the stadium for $20.
-The team shop had good prices? $3 for a magnet is probably the lowest price I've seen. $5 for a Who Dey towel is reasonable too. It's usually $8.
-The stadium looks nice from the outside.
-The inside of the stadium is the plainest stadium I've been to in either MLB or the NFL. It's basically all concrete. No statues. No team history or memorabilia. No murals on the walls or large Bengals Helmets. It's just restrooms and vending areas.
-The during game experience is fairly standard. The field is great. The 2 large screens are great! I like the wrap of the jungle around the stadium.

-Practice Fields - The fields that are used for training camp look like something a D2 College would use for intramural sports. The Steelers have an entire spots complex that they share with Pitt. They have multiple outdoor fields and indoor facilities. The Bengals look like a mom and pop shop in comparison. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPMC_Rooney_Sports_Complex
Reply/Quote
Interesting observations, thanks for sharing. It's too bad your first time at a game and the Bengals got destroyed. I hope you still had a good time despite that. Did you get to enjoy any places around the city before or after the game?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
First game?? SO IT'S YOUR FAULT THEY LOST?????
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:28 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Interesting observations, thanks for sharing. It's too bad your first time at a game and the Bengals got destroyed. I hope you still had a good time despite that.  Did you get to enjoy any places around the city before or after the game?

It was still fun. Watching Drew Brees was pretty great.
Reply/Quote
Seeing the Steelers really nice practice facility is kind of shocking compared to the Bengals practice field which looks like Intramural Fields at a college.
Reply/Quote
Sorry that was your first Bengals home game visit. As an old fan, I can say I saw Joe Namath, Leroy Kelly, JOHNNY UNITAS in person. Just hearing them announce Johhny Unitas, his name echo through stadium was something. You can say you saw Drew Brees have a huge big game. When his bust is in Canton Ohio, you can say you saw him kill the Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote