Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Season thus far......
(03-19-2019, 01:54 AM)Benton Wrote: After I saw the numbers, the Hart signing didn't look so bad. It looked even better after I read his career penalties outside of last season were only an average of 3 per season. If the coaches can work that out and get a few good seasons out of him, then no issue.

There's not a thing in the world wrong with the Hart signing, outside of the usual complaining. Not to say the position couldn't use an upgrade, but signing him insured we would have a RT on the roster. The money, when you look at the contract, is not bad. I also think the coaches looked at what was going on last year, with Dalton going down and having to bring Driskell in with a different cadence, and the fact he had a "less than stellar" guard beside him. If the coaches think they can fix these things, I'm fine with the signing, for depth if nothing else.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There's not a thing in the world wrong with the Hart signing, outside of the usual complaining. Not to say the position couldn't use an upgrade, but signing him insured we would have a RT on the roster. The money, when you look at the contract, is not bad. I also think the coaches looked at what was going on last year, with Dalton going down and having to bring Driskell in with a different cadence, and the fact he had a "less than stellar" guard beside him. If the coaches think they can fix these things, I'm fine with the signing, for depth if nothing else.

RT: Check.

He's not even mediocre. He's a bad starting RT.

It's funny that you cite the change to Driskell as one of his issues. How do you explain the previous 3 years of him playing poorly?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 01:54 AM)Benton Wrote: After I saw the numbers, the Hart signing didn't look so bad. It looked even better after I read his career penalties outside of last season were only an average of 3 per season. If the coaches can work that out and get a few good seasons out of him, then no issue.

I understand the frustration, and I've always criticized our seeming lack of interest in a championship. But outside of the freak that is NE, we're as poised as any team. The right mentality, a draft pick or FA that steps up, staying healthy. Heck, last season four of the losses were decided by a touchdown or less. Being just a little more competitive in those four games, we'd have been in the playoffs. And without MArvin, maybe those playoff games will be a little different.

I dunno. After MArvin was let go, I thought we'd bring in a coach and start looking at a 2-3 year rebuild. But this offseason has me thinking they may be looking at something sooner. 

We signed Webb and Miller, who aren't really upgrades, just guys to keep it together. We dumped a guy we could've at least dangled in a trade if we were trying to completely rebuild. We brought back Eifert which doesn't seem to indicate we're wiping the slate clean at tE.

I'm starting to think Zac may think he can win sooner rather than later.

We aren't as close as fans think we are. Let's say the Bengals had won those 4 close games, what then? They'd have backed into the playoffs as the #6 seed and likely lost in the first round once again.

But there's a big difference between that and beating the top teams. The gap between KC and the Bengals or between the Rams and the Bengals or New Orleans and the Bengals is large. Both KC and New Orleans blew up the Bengals, and Dalton was still the QB in those games.

New England does bring in seemingly average players and turn them into contributors who make a difference. Now that isn't true of all the players they bring in, but they always seem to have two so-so guys make a huge difference. Bengals just don't do that. They bring in so-so guys who continue to be so-so guys.

Taylor needs to win this season, if just to confirm the narrative that the problem was all coaching. Another playoff-less season means coaching was not the problem. Taylor is taking over a talent laden team with some obvious holes to fill.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm not impressed with the offseason at all. We have not gotten any better.

Miller (who Bills fans were as happy with us taking as we were when they signed Bodine), has been a big part of the worst line in the league the past 3 years.

Hart. We know isn't an upgrade but has caused us to possibly pass on a OT in the first as they think the line is set.

Brown is a 2 down back, and doesn't solve any of our lb issues.

The issue with this offseason is they don't know if they are rebuilding but they aren't going for it all either. So what are they doing besides giving multimillion dollars to players who isn't worth vet minimum and trying to sell us on why they felt the need to?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:11 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Overall I've liked the offseason too. Only three things I haven't liked; 1) Turner as O-line coach 2) The DC search and eventual hire 3) Re-signing Bobby Hart for any amount of money.

I like Taylor, OC, Brown re-signing, Uzo re-signing, Miller signing, Tez release.

What was the deal with Del Rio? He didn't wanna come here or Taylor didn't want him?

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:35 AM)Bryan Wrote: What was the deal with Del Rio? He didn't wanna come here or Taylor didn't want him?

That's unclear. Basically it sounds like the talked on the phone and deemed that it wasn't a good fit.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's unclear. Basically it sounds like the talked on the phone and deemed that it wasn't a good fit.

Gotcha, that blows because having a DC with HC experience could have been invaluable

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:50 AM)Bryan Wrote: Gotcha, that blows because having a DC with HC experience could have been invaluable

Honestly, I get the sense that the coaching staff didn't want a guy with HC experience under them. They seemed to make comfort hires of people they knew and worked with before.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 04:39 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: What would make me happy is Devin White in the first, best available offensive tackle in the second. I'd like to get Terry McLauren, OSU wr, and best defensive lineman available in the third and fourth. I also think we ought to look at bringing McCarron back.

That would be a great draft for the Bengals, at least on paper.

If White is available at 11 I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully they'll then take him.

McLauren would certainly give Ross a run for his money and might even relegate Ross to the bench. McLauren isn't going to have trouble figuring out his routes and he isn't going to give up on them either.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:23 AM)corpjet Wrote: LBer - Round 1

OT - Round 2

LBer/OT/CB - Round 3

Depth in the remaining rounds including a TE, DT, CB

that is a good summary.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As long as we don't select a punter in the 1st Round, most fans will think we had a good draft.

Would you be upset with QB in round 1?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 01:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Would you be upset with QB in round 1?

Nope. At some point they have to do it.

Honestly, the way mock drafts are shaping up...I think a QB might be the best way to go. That said, the hit percentage on a QB is much lower than another position.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nope. At some point they have to do it.

Honestly, the way mock drafts are shaping up...I think a QB might be the best way to go. That said, the hit percentage on a QB is much lower than another position.

I don't think Jones with worthy at 11 but maybe Haskins or Murray (even though personally I am put off by Murray's personality).  I could see Jones in round two if there.  But I really like that kid from Auburn (Stidham) for round 3-4.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: RT: Check.

It's funny that you cite the change to Driskell as one of his issues. How do you explain the previous 3 years of him playing poorly?

I'd wager that 99% of us didn't know a damn thing about Bobby Hart til last year. I am gonna make the assumption that since he was on the Giants, he had a bad G next to him, and a shitty QB behind him. Sounds a lot like the tail end of last season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 01:48 PM)jason Wrote: I'd wager that 99% of us didn't know a damn thing about Bobby Hart til last year. I am gonna make the assumption that since he was on the Giants, he had a bad G next to him, and a shitty QB behind him. Sounds a lot like the tail end of last season.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As long as we don't select a punter in the 1st Round, most fans will think we had a good draft.

And no matter who we take some people will say it was a stupid choice.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:50 AM)Bryan Wrote: Gotcha, that blows because having a DC with HC experience could have been invaluable

Having a DC with DC experience would have been nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: RT: Check.

I'd wager that 99% of us didn't know a damn thing about Bobby Hart til last year. I am gonna make the assumption that since he was on the Giants, he had a bad G next to him, and a shitty QB behind him. Sounds a lot like the tail end of last season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Well I am not much for the talking heads or ESPN power rankings, but nonetheless, they have us ranked 29th out of 32 teams. Say our major issues (I agree) are on defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023341/article/nfl-power-rankings-browns-hit-top-10-via-free-agencytrades

Browns are 9th, Ravens 15th and Steelers 18th
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote