Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Offense (Deep-Dive Analysis Using PFF Ratings)
QB -
Andy Dalton - 84.1 (High Quality), #8 ranked QB. Andy is having a great year. A lot of us rank him around a mid tier QB...but he's clearly Top 10 this year.

RB -
Mixon - 66.0, #35 ranked HB.
Bernard - 70.2, #24 ranked HB which classifies as Good. The loss of Bernard has been huge this year.

WR -
AJ Green - 86.7 (High Quality) #7 ranked WR.
Tyler Boyd - 84.4 (High Quality) #11 ranked WR.
These 2 are performing highly as a great Duo.

John Ross - 53.3 #110 ranked WR.
Core - 51.1
Malone - 51.2
Erickson - 49.1 #115 ranked WR.

TE -
Eifert - 72.2 which was considered as Good.
Kroft - 55.8
Uzomah - 58.9 #39 ranked TE.
Schreck - 30.5 - WOW REALLY LOW.
Lengel 48.1

Offensive Line -
Center-
Hopkins - 61.7 #19 ranked Center (Slight Improvement over Bodine last year for sure. Bodine was in the mid to upper 50's if memory serves me.)
Price - 57.7

Guard -
Boling- 64.4 #28 Guard
Redmond - 54.9 #54 Guard
Westerman - 74.3 in limited snaps.

Tackle-
Hart - 56.4 #63 Tackle
Glenn - 62.0 #50 Tackled (He's been improving his rating as of late.)

My overall analysis is that our offense is all Dalton/Green/Boyd with a little Mixon and Bernard.

Our line is playing slightly better than last year, although I think Boling was rated in the 70's last year so he has declined in play. The other 4 guys are all mediocre. Westerman needs to replace Redmond. Hopefully Glenn continues to improve and Price returns and continues to improve too.

The TE's are mediocre without Eifert.

We're highly dependent on turnovers to score.
Reply/Quote
The drafting of Ogbwehe and Fischer screwed this team. So far, the drafting of John Ross hasn't helped. I think our reputation for such great drafts might need a little scrutiny.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon > Bernard when it comes to making a difference in games. Mixon is a legit 3 down back.

AJ Green and Boyd are up here.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Ross and the rest of the WRs are down here, maybe even lower.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:38 AM)Shady Wrote: The drafting of Ogbwehe and Fischer screwed this team. So far, the drafting of John Ross hasn't helped. I think our reputation for such great drafts might need a little scrutiny.

Yeah if we would have hit on atleast 1 of them...we'd be in way better shape. If Ross would start producing, it would help too.
Reply/Quote
Looking at the ratings, our offense has a mediocre offensive line, average to above average WR's, 2 really good WR's with one hurt, and a QB playing really well.

This may be Dalton's best year all things considered.

5 wins in 8 games actually may be overachieving giving the ratings in some ways.

Losing Green is going to be tough to overcome. Teams will double Boyd and I don't know that the line can produce.

We have the Star players in Atkins, Green, Dunlap, and Dalton...but outside of Boyd...the other guys are underperforming in general. We need several other players to step up.
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand why Mixon is ranked so low. He’s put up good numbers in only 6 games.

Reply/Quote
And remember a number of good receivers were traded for relatively low pick prices, and had we gone out and looked (especially as it sure seems we knew about Green before the deadline) the loss of AJ would not be as catastrophic. As it stands the season is probably lost.

Also, good franchises are not constantly crippled by injuries season after season. The constant injury issues points right at our pathetic training and medical staffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 11:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: QB -
Andy Dalton - 84.1 (High Quality), #8 ranked QB. Andy is having a great year. A lot of us rank him around a mid tier QB...but he's clearly Top 10 this year.

RB -
Bernard - 70.2, #24 ranked HB which classifies as Good. The loss of Bernard has been huge this year.

WR -

Core - 51.1
Malone - 51.2

TE -
Kroft - 55.8
Lengel 48.1

Offensive Line -
Center-
Hopkins - 61.7 #19 ranked Center (Slight Improvement over Bodine last year for sure. Bodine was in the mid to upper 50's if memory serves me.)
Price - 57.7

Guard -
Boling- 64.4 #28 Guard
Redmond - 54.9 #54 Guard

Tackle-
Hart - 56.4 #63 Tackle

My overall analysis is that our offense is all Dalton/Green/Boyd with a little Mixon and Bernard.

Our line is playing slightly better than last year, although I think Boling was rated in the 70's last year so he has declined in play. The other 4 guys are all mediocre. Westerman needs to replace Redmond. Hopefully Glenn continues to improve and Price returns and continues to improve too.

Thanks for posting this. It looks like the passing game is what really works. The OLine has poor scores, do they have separate scores for pass and run blocking or only the combined score? I think that Andy has been an awesome leader with what he has to work with.
Reply/Quote
Great post and very timely with the Green injury news.

Right now out Best WR, HB and RE are hurt. Hard to overcome. Guys have to step up. Specifically Ross and Malone
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 01:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Looking at the ratings, our offense has a mediocre offensive line, average to above average WR's, 2 really good WR's with one hurt, and a QB playing really well.

5 wins in 8 games actually may be overachieving giving the ratings in some ways.

Losing Green is going to be tough to overcome. Teams will double Boyd and I don't know that the line can produce.

We have the Star players in Atkins, Green, Dunlap, and Dalton...but outside of Boyd...the other guys are underperforming in general. We need several other players to step up.

Why not sign Dez Bryant? At least talk with him. We're competing to make the playoffs. We're still in the mix but without AJ, it could be a lost cause. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 01:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Looking at the ratings, our offense has a mediocre offensive line, average to above average WR's, 2 really good WR's with one hurt, and a QB playing really well.

All in all, a 5-3 record is nothing short of miraculous when you add up all the numbers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 01:56 AM)Joelist Wrote: And remember a number of good receivers were traded for relatively low pick prices, and had we gone out and looked (especially as it sure seems we knew about Green before the deadline) the loss of AJ would not be as catastrophic. As it stands the season is probably lost.

Also, good franchises are not constantly crippled by injuries season after season. The constant injury issues points right at our pathetic training and medical staffs.

I think the simple truth is that it just wasn't worth it.  A WR wouldn't be enough to make much of  difference and giving up draft picks would have been a waste.  We are way more than one player away.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 03:03 AM)Shady Wrote: Why not sign Dez Bryant? At least talk with him. We're competing to make the playoffs. We're still in the mix but without AJ, it could be a lost cause. 

I agree.

You could argue that the ratings show a total lack of production from WR's 2-5 which would warrant Dez from that perspective too.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 09:05 AM)McC Wrote: All in all, a 5-3 record is nothing short of miraculous when you add up all the numbers.

That's what I see too. Honestly, Dalton/Boyd/Green are carrying the team.

Secondly, some timely turnovers are leading to scores at crucial times.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 09:07 AM)McC Wrote: I think the simple truth is that it just wasn't worth it.  A WR wouldn't be enough to make much of  difference and giving up draft picks would have been a waste.  We are way more than one player away.

Wow. We're seeing things exactly.

I think if you told Bengals Management before the year that we'd have one of the youngest teams in the NFL, a lot of key injuries, and finish with 8-9 wins and have a shot at 10 and a Wild Card that they'd take it.

The thing is, the gap between where we're at now and being a team that threatens to win in the playoffs is fairly far.

We need Glenn to step up and play way better. We need Price to develop. We need Boling to get his rating back up.

We need more sack finishes from the D-Line.

We need Burfict and Brown to regain form.

We need some CB's to step up and get their ratings up.

Or, we need to continue upgrading personnel in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 09:07 AM)McC Wrote: I think the simple truth is that it just wasn't worth it.  A WR wouldn't be enough to make much of  difference and giving up draft picks would have been a waste.  We are way more than one player away.

The problem is even if AJ were not hurt we are lacking the third reliable pass catcher. That is why the offense has struggled after losing Eifert. Any of the receivers we could have traded for would have been better than what we currently run out there in the 3 WR sets we are running most of their time because of the lack of TEs.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem is even if AJ were not hurt we are lacking the third reliable pass catcher. That is why the offense has struggled after losing Eifert. Any of the receivers we could have traded for would have been better than what we currently run out there in the 3 WR sets we are running most of their time because of the lack of TEs.

Aside from the compensation, I don't see the Bengals paying the salary for Tate or Thomas...even if it's only for 1 year.

They are going to ride this season out. We have one of the youngest rosters in the league, new coaches, and a bunch of injuries. They'll be content with 8-9-10 wins and ecstatic with a playoff appearance if we indeed do earn one. You'll hear PR to the effect of if healthy we could contend.

I'm with those on here who would go after Dez. The above is what I think the Bengals thought process is.

We've been really hurt by Ced, Fisher, and Ross not developing. Really hurt.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem is even if AJ were not hurt we are lacking the third reliable pass catcher. That is why the offense has struggled after losing Eifert. Any of the receivers we could have traded for would have been better than what we currently run out there in the 3 WR sets we are running most of their time because of the lack of TEs.

Exactly, james rapien on locked on bengals have been preaching this, ive been preaching this, but our fans thought we could get by with just green and boyd and mixon. Now green is hurt for a while and they are all panickibg, except the organization isnt. They are happy with running erickson out there. I swear im ready to give up on this team. Im sick of always thinking they are idiots and not trying to win,and im sick of steeler fans thinking they are winners and bengals fans are losers. Im sick of the corrupt nfl and the refs who help certain teams. Im just sick of it all.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2018, 11:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: QB -

RB -

WR -

Core - 51.1
Malone - 51.2

TE -
Kroft - 55.8
Lengel 48.1

Offensive Line -
Center-
Price - 57.7

Guard -
Boling- 64.4 #28 Guard
Redmond - 54.9 #54 Guard

Tackle-
Hart - 56.4 #63 Tackle

Good stuff Pistons. The Westerman/Redmond comparison to me still really stands out. I honestly have never
understood why Redmond is starting over Westerman who is clearly better in every way. I loved getting Pollack
but i don't like how he has handled this. Just start the better players that is all i have ever asked.

This reminds me of PA. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 02:06 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Exactly, james rapien on locked on bengals have been preaching this, ive been preaching this, but our fans thought we could get by with just green and boyd and mixon. Now green is hurt for a while and they are all panickibg, except the organization isnt. They are happy with running erickson out there. I swear im ready to give up on this team. Im sick of always thinking they are idiots and not trying to win,and im sick of steeler fans thinking they are winners and bengals fans are losers. Im sick of the corrupt nfl and the refs who help certain teams. Im just sick of it all.

Try being a Bengals fan living about an hour away from Pittsburgh. Where I work like 90% of people are Steelers fans.
Reply/Quote