Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offense in 2019 what will the Bengals be better at?
To me the key to the 2019 season comes down to the health of the offense.
Assuming the Bengals stay healthy on offense
what aspects of the offense do the think the Bengals
will be better at under Taylor/Callahan?
I realize its months before the draft.?

I can see the offense getting plays off at a faster pace.
that was a claim by Lewis last year and it only happened before the 1st half and at the end of a game.

I think the offense will not be so predictable on down and distance.
Lazor basically telegraphed his plays on formation... personal..

Lastly I think John Ross will actually used in relation to his skill set.
Taylor will get him the ball on the hashmarks down the middle
matched up with a 3rd CB or LB
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping they are better at getting Joe Mixon involved in the passing game. I think we missed the boat on that a lot last season.

I'm hoping they're better at run blocking and we have productive runs when we need them, this will open up the play action game.

I'm hoping they can scheme Ross open more in the short and mid passing game. And I'm hoping he's up to the task ? His red zone TD's last season (where it's harder) all but prove he's capable.

I'm hoping Eifert and for that matter AJ can stay healthy and on the field.

I'm hoping this team and staff can be more productive in the 2nd half of games. That's overall been one of the bigger downfalls under ML.

Here's to hoping :andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't know that we can say with any certainty since neither have actually called plays in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I'm cautiously optimistic that the Bengals will do what they say and try to "unleash" John Ross.

Other than that, I am expecting a heavy run game. I'm not expecting a lot of passes to the TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mixon, Mixon, and more Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully at staying healthy. By virtue of being healthy we will pass better, run better, and generally be better.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully better at not getting penalized Just eliminating those would improve the ability to keep moving the football

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Blocking I hope. If they can do that everything else should be a lot easier.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 12:05 PM)pally Wrote: Hopefully better at not getting penalized  Just eliminating those would improve the ability to keep moving the football

No doubt !

We had a ton of pre-snap penalties last season, drive killers.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we completed a single pass more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage. Is that correct?

ESPN used to have a splits on QB attempts based on how far the pass was thrown. They don't have that anymore. I amsure it is still somewhere I would just have to pay for it.
Reply/Quote
Taylor inherited a team with terrible defense, and some key offensive players. I am looking for more culture building, and also the foundation laying of a new Cincinnati era. If things don't look good in his 3rd year, I'll head to the garage and get my torch and pitchfork.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 03:22 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: Taylor inherited a team with terrible defense, and some key offensive players. I am looking for more culture building, and also the foundation laying of a new Cincinnati era. If things don't look good in his 3rd year, I'll head to the garage and get my torch and pitchfork.

You'll need the right kind of torch. A little Bernzomatic propane torch or a British flashlight probably won't strike fear into the heart of the Bengals FO..   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 03:30 PM)grampahol Wrote: You'll need the right kind of torch. A little Bernzomatic propane torch or a British flashlight probably won't strike fear into the heart of the Bengals FO..   

I believe I am slowly losing my mind. I am almost positive the Bengals are a scheme to get money from the NFL. No one truly works in the front office, and we are just pawns in a bigger game being orchestrated by the Brown family.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we completed a single pass more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Is that correct?

ESPN used to have a splits on QB attempts based on how far the pass was thrown.  They don't have that anymore.  I amsure it is still somewhere I would just have to pay for it.

No, off the top of my head I know Ross's TD in Atlanta went 25+ through the air. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we completed a single pass more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Is that correct?

ESPN used to have a splits on QB attempts based on how far the pass was thrown.  They don't have that anymore.  I amsure it is still somewhere I would just have to pay for it.

Longest Completed Air Distance (How long the ball was in the air on a completed pass) was 47.5 yards.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#max-completed-air-distance
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Ross's TD was 39 yds and the last 4 yds he walked in.
the Bengals didnt have one pass over 50 yds in the air completed.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully using the personnel correctly to fit their strengths.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:20 AM)impactplaya Wrote: To me the key to the 2019 season comes down to the health of the offense.
Assuming the Bengals stay healthy on offense
what aspects of the offense do the think the Bengals
will be better at under Taylor/Callahan?
I realize its months before the draft.?

I can see the offense getting plays off at a faster pace.
that was a claim by Lewis last year and it only happened before the 1st half and at the end of a game.

I think the offense will not be so predictable on down and distance.
Lazor basically telegraphed his plays on formation... personal..

Lastly I think John Ross will actually used in relation to his skill set.
Taylor will get him the ball on the hashmarks down the middle
matched up with a 3rd CB or LB

There is a lot of accuracy to what you say here about how the offense will improve in 2019, but I disagree that is the key to the season. 

The offense was rolling early before injuries (and subsequent predictability) decreased their productivity.  It was the defense that was setting records for ineptitude.  Right now, if they lose Dennard, the defense has not improved at all.  Perhaps just having a healthy Carl Lawson, Willis and Hubbard a year more experienced, and not losing other key pieces will help but they have a HUGE need at LB and also need a DT that can be an impact player next to Geno.

If they are able to sign a solid veteran LB and draft one on day 2, they could get a special player at DT on the first day.  I am starting to dream about a trade down (assuming Ed Oliver and White are gone) and get Dexter Lawrence out of Clemson and have an additional second round pick.
Reply/Quote
We already upgraded at tackle
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:59 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: We already upgraded at tackle

I’m confused. Who ?
Reply/Quote