Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Grades Through 12 Weeks
(12-07-2019, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every player drafted in the NFL was a stud in college and most of them fail no matter what team they go to. 

(12-07-2019, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The coaches have no choice.  How many coaches in the NFL cry about how bad their fron office is?

Let me make it clear that I am not saying Turner is a great coach.  I am just saying you can't tell by the mess he had to work with.  

Last year Andre Smith was much worse than Bobby Hart, and Dre was our opening day starter at LEFT TACKLE.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me make it clear that I am not saying Turner is a great coach.  I am just saying you can't tell by the mess he had to work with.  

Last year Andre Smith was much worse than Bobby Hart, and Dre was our opening day starter at LEFT TACKLE.

I do think Pollack did more in regards to running the ball last year. It took the staff, what 8 weeks this year to figure out that they needed to change the scheme.

But, it's not like last years line had great production either.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is it an either or situation for so many people here? You take the QB and build the team up around him.

This isn’t rocket science folks...

Apparently to the Inbreds it is rocket science. 

It is comical how we always hear 'how much Mike Brown knows about football". So either he doesn't and thus can't see how bad the OL and LBs are OR he does see it but refuses to fix it in any meaningful way. Can't have it both ways. Either incompetent or apathetic. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The offensive line does stink, however, they have played well enough to win the last few games.

There were some plays left out there today in the Browns game by Dalton with opportunities to extend and run for 1st downs. He hung back there too long on a few sacks.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is it an either or situation for so many people here? You take the QB and build the team up around him.

This isn’t rocket science folks...
Or build a team up and draft a quarterback.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:06 AM)ah5 Wrote: Or build a team up and draft a quarterback.

Yup.

Not too many elite offensive linemen around after day 2 of the draft and this team is allergic to using free agency correctly.

They have shown they'll trade down (Zeitler and Dre K for example) so you have to just hope for extra picks that don't miss like in the drafts 5 or 6 years ago. 

We are several players and atleast one maybe two seasons away from being relevant again.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 04:34 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yup.

Not too many elite offensive linemen around after day 2 of the draft and this team is allergic to using free agency correctly.

They have shown they'll trade down (Zeitler and Dre K for example) so you have to just hope for extra picks that don't miss like in the drafts 5 or 6 years ago. 

We are several players and atleast one maybe two seasons away from being relevant again.

The last 3 OL that the Bengals have taken in the 1st and 2nd round haven't panned out so well.  (Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price)  I don't know if it's just bad luck, poor coaching that couldn't develop those players, or what.  But it seems like there is more to it, than just taking OL early in the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:06 AM)ah5 Wrote: Or build a team up and draft a quarterback.

Doesn’t work like that. You build up a halfway decent team you’re too good to get the high end QB most of the time. You might get lucky and snag a Mahomes, Watson, or Jackson in the the mid to late 1st, but normally the best QB’s fly off the board quickly. Especially when a bunch of teams need one, which is the case right now.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 08:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The last 3 OL that the Bengals have taken in the 1st and 2nd round haven't panned out so well.  (Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price)  I don't know if it's just bad luck, poor coaching that couldn't develop those players, or what.  But it seems like there is more to it, than just taking OL early in the draft.

Yep. Meanwhile some of our better ones in recent years like Boling and Hopkins were late round or even undrafted.

Reply/Quote