Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offensive Line Strategy
(01-18-2023, 12:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The success of the offense with this OL going forward isn't going to have anything to do with the personell (they stink, nothing you can do). It's going to be about offensive scheme.

Quick passing, short drop backs, getting the ball to your play makers and speed guys quickly and in space, and timely shots down the field based on set up plays.

Trying to "fix" the offensive line right now is a waste of time.

actually it is combo.. you get behind the chains due to oline penalties or negative runs with lack of blocking then quick passing short drops etc become problematic to moving the ball.

We overcame last year with a weakline, we can overcome this year also... also we are catching the Bills without one of the top players in the league in Miller, that will help our weak line
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Carman wants to be taken serious he needs to step up! It would be awesome if he proved everyone wrong that he can play LT in the NFL. If he did that his future would be certain and Bengals future decisions will be easier. It could save us money not having resign Williams to a huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 12:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Let's not forget teams have that much more tape on both Carman and Adeniji after last weeks game. 

I am expecting the OL to be a full on trainwreck this game. 

If I'm gameplanning for these guys, here's what I would do:

Vs Carman - Any kind of speed, shift, or spin to get around him. Trying to bull rush probably isn't going to be as successful as those other ways.

Vs Adeniji - Push him back. Dude has no anchor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
According to the Brian Callahan, Jackson Carman has been working at tackle for most of the season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 12:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The success of the offense with this OL going forward isn't going to have anything to do with the personell (they stink, nothing you can do). It's going to be about offensive scheme.

Quick passing, short drop backs, getting the ball to your play makers and speed guys quickly and in space, and timely shots down the field based on set up plays.

Trying to "fix" the offensive line right now is a waste of time.

Just a really ignorant comment. Just glad you have nothing to do with this team and hopefully not even a HS team with that attitude. Every single day a coach is out there he's trying to find a plug-and-play guy and mesh his unit and he's trying to improve/fix his unit. Not a guy in HS, college or the any pro league that doesn't believe their unit can't improve.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:17 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: If Carman wants to be taken serious he needs to step up!  It would be awesome if he proved everyone wrong that he can play LT in the NFL.  If he did that his future would be certain and Bengals future decisions will be easier.  It could save us money not having resign Williams to a huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no way am in judging him on one full game played for future.. he has to show more than that.. I am offering Williams 5th year option regardless how Carman plays and I am drafting  a tackle this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 02:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, Bengaldom!  The offensive line isn’t what it was because it isn’t who it was.  We’ve lost La’el Collins, Alex Cappa, and Jonah Williams so it’s best to plan for not having them in remainder of the postseason. My suggestion is to rebuild around Ted Karras, Max Scharping, and Cordell Volson by working in either Jackson Carman or D’Ante Smith at left tackle and keeping Hakeem Adeniji at right tackle.  It’s always best to create as much chemistry among the offensive line as possible.  

Frank Pollack has a decision to make.  Does he retain the gap blocking scheme the Bengals have used since the game against the Saints or does he revert to zone blocking?  Zone blocking is “easier” because it relies on individual linemen to clear a certain area.  If one guy misses, however, the ball carrier or quarterback will take a hit.  This is what the Bengals did for the first part of the season.

Gap blocking is mentally and physically tougher but it’s better.  In this case linemen are assigned a defender to block, not a certain area of the field.  In this case the linemen are given secondary blocks, etc. or assignments to put two men on a certain defender, for example.  The Bengals’ win streak started when the gap blocking started.

While gap blocking is harder I think it needs to be taught this week to the new left tackle.  Frank will have to get in lots of reps in very little time for it to work.  Offensive line play is the key to beating Buffalo because a bad line severely limits the playbook.

Gap scheme all the way, it fits all the players better and Carman and D'Ante. The only OL I see on the Line that could be a 
good wide zone OL is Adeniji cause he is athletic.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 10:11 AM)SladeX Wrote: Maybe Carman has been doing the best in practice? 

I think the entire team (from starter to practice squad) is doing their best in practice. Where else are they going to get a shot at the ring, let alone multiple shots as well?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
At this point you just pray they can hold up to continue to run an offense that is already geared to the quick passing game. It would be a great time to suddenly have a rushing offense but that ship has likely sailed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:01 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Just a really ignorant comment. Just glad you have nothing to do with this team and hopefully not even a HS team with that attitude. Every single day a coach is out there he's trying to find a plug-and-play guy and mesh his unit and he's trying to improve/fix his unit. Not a guy in HS, college or the any pro league that doesn't believe their unit can't improve.

You do realize that I don't coach the Bengals, right? I'm a fan. Nothing I say has any kind of affect on this team or these players whatsoever. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling with the OL we will be screaming "Run Burrow Run" all day Sunday so he doesn't get slammed too much!

[Image: Dz6H.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If I'm gameplanning for these guys, here's what I would do:

Vs Carman - Any kind of speed, shift, or spin to get around him. Trying to bull rush probably isn't going to be as successful as those other ways.

Vs Adeniji - Push him back. Dude has no anchor.

100% 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: no way am in judging him on one full game played for future.. he has to show more than that.. I am offering Williams 5th year option regardless how Carman plays and I am drafting  a tackle this draft. 

Williams already has had his 5th year option picked up

Reply/Quote
What I really hope the Bengals DON'T do...

Come out of the gate and completely settle on the quick passing game and not even give this offense a chance to throw the ball down the field.

We need to at least test Buffalo early and see if the OL can hold up. The Bills pass rush and defense isn't nearly as good as Baltimores. I REALLY hope we just don't settle like we did in the second half of the Ravens game. Give the boys a chance.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 06:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What I really hope the Bengals DON'T do...

Come out of the gate and completely settle on the quick passing game and not even give this offense a chance to throw the ball down the field.

We need to at least test Buffalo early and see if the OL can hold up. The Bills pass rush and defense isn't nearly as good as Baltimores. I REALLY hope we just don't settle like we did in the second half of the Ravens game. Give the boys a chance.

I hope like hell they come out and throw the ball short to the backs and receivers. Get Buffalo  pinching and  2nd and 3rd and short. Your shots downfield will then happen. What I don't want to happen is to get predictable and run the ball on first down too many times.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
As bad of shape as the O-line is in presently at least the Bengals have all their weapons healthy in Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Velveeta, Hurst, Wilcox, Mixon, Perine and Joe Freakin Burrow.

Spread the ball around as much as possible would be my plan

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well, I'm rooting for the hometown kid from Fairfield to make his comeback at LT and do well.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 10:32 PM)Go Cards Wrote: As bad of shape as the O-line is in presently at least the Bengals have all their weapons healthy in Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Velveeta, Hurst, Wilcox, Mixon, Perine and Joe Freakin Burrow.

Spread the ball around as much as possible would be my plan

Don't forget damn near our entire backup OL, outside of Scharpin who has starting experience, played an incredible amount of snaps a year ago including all 4 playoff games. While they obviously lack some skill development compared to the starters, the moment will not be too big for them.
Reply/Quote