Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offensive Line Strategy
Do whatever you’ve been doing that got you the win streak.

I do not like the idea of zone blocking personally because it seems conservative. Like you are waiting to be engaged more than just picking someone and firing off on their ass. Theoretically If a team does a lot of stunts vs zone blocking the lineman are backing up and could be in the QBs face before they are even engaged by a defender and i feel like that happened a lot last year and i hate it. I’d rather trust that the guys know the plays and do gap blocking
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 10:01 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Smith is hardly even mentioned. According to the depth chart he's the 'next up' guy.

The only time the Bengals have changed the depth chart was when someone had gone on IR or has been cut so don’t put too much faith in that

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 05:18 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I think the entire team (from starter to practice squad) is doing their best in practice. Where else are they going to get a shot at the ring, let alone multiple shots as well?

I mean that he’s practicing better than the alternatives at LT. I guess I’m questioning the accuracy published depth charts at this stage of the season.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 08:30 PM)pally Wrote:

Thanks Pally, nice to hear from Jackson and get his perspective on how his game has improved. Love hearing how the entire 
OL, even the guys in Cappa, Jonah, La'el who can't play are still extremely involved. Reminds me of how Awuzie has been working
with CTB at Corner after he went down. Just such a great team pushing each other to be great.

This is special. Really hope Jackson Carman plays lights out and makes me feel better about wanting him in the first place.

(01-19-2023, 10:12 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Don't forget damn near our entire backup OL, outside of Scharpin who has starting experience, played an incredible amount of snaps a year ago including all 4 playoff games. While they obviously lack some skill development compared to the starters, the moment will not be too big for them.

Great point, lots of Playoff experience out there even if they are backups.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Just be solid and protect the quarterback!
The rest will fall into place because for the hundredth if you protect this guy then you'll win more than you lose. Period.I've been wanting to see this offensive tackle combination for two years and I hope that I'm correct.
Reply/Quote
Should Carman or Adeniji falter, how bout playing 6 lineman jumbo package more and not just on short yardage downs? Definitely would have to run it more and keep attack more balanced. Still leaves our 3 WR on the field and hopefully gives Joe more time to find one open.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 08:25 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Should Carman or Adeniji falter, how bout playing 6 lineman jumbo package more and not just on short yardage downs?  Definitely would have to run it more and keep attack more balanced.  Still leaves our 3 WR on the field and hopefully given Joe more time to find one open.

Tiger

I'd love to ground and pound but its not in the Zac DNA.
He'll call this game the same and put it in Joe hands to win the game. I look for this to be a game the that 9 calls from the line of scrimmage. & I like that!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 08:25 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Should Carman or Adeniji falter, how bout playing 6 lineman jumbo package more and not just on short yardage downs? Definitely would have to run it more and keep attack more balanced. Still leaves our 3 WR on the field and hopefully given Joe more time to find one open.

Do we have a rule book junkie online?

Is this legal? To run 6 lineman and pass? I feel like if it were legal someone would’ve tried it by now
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 09:18 PM)Housh Wrote: Do we have a rule book junkie online?

Is this legal? To run 6 lineman and pass? I feel like if it were legal someone would’ve tried it by now

Extra linemen has to declare eligible
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 10:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All of these guys have been practicing, it's not like something new is going to hit them this week. Keep doing what they are doing.

Every new lineman is more mobile than who they replaced so zone blocking is a better fit for the personnel now playing. But we cannot switch blocking scheme in the playoffs, so we run what we have been running since the winning streak started. {Not a fan of zone blocking} 

I hope the coaches' calling plays do not get conservative thinking we only have a sec to release the ball every down. Trust the players you coached up and run our gameplan without much diversion from that path we have been on.

Next man up we trusted this process with every injury so far this year and some want to freak out since it is Carman at LT now. No reason to think the sky is falling now and we have to switch stuff up to compensate.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 07:50 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I hope like hell they come out and throw the ball short to the backs and receivers. Get Buffalo  pinching and  2nd and 3rd and short. Your shots downfield will then happen. What I don't want to happen is to get predictable and run the ball on first down too many times.

Take what the defense gives. They say the Bills play 3 high so down the field throws will be more open. I agree you need to be up two scores before taking chances down field but at the same time do not throw short and check downs just to be throwing them.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 10:56 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Every new lineman is more mobile than who they replaced so zone blocking is a better fit for the personnel now playing. But we cannot switch blocking scheme in the playoffs, so we run what we have been running since the winning streak started. {Not a fan of zone blocking} 

I hope the coaches' calling plays do not get conservative thinking we only have a sec to release the ball every down. Trust the players you coached up and run our gameplan without much diversion from that path we have been on.

Next man up we trusted this process with every injury so far this year and some want to freak out since it is Carman at LT now. No reason to think the sky is falling now and we have to switch stuff up to compensate.

Kay Adams in her interview by Dan also said we need to play aggressive. Dorsey isn't near as aggressive as Dabol.

Oh yeah, I would say Carman is still a Gap scheme guy but agree that Scharping and especially Adeniji seem like wide zone guys.

But like you said, no time to change what we are doing.
Reply/Quote
You have to establish the run game.

It will be easier on the new linemen, slow down the Bills offense, and keep the defense from teeing off with the pass rush. It's that simple.

If the Bengals win, it will be because they have success running the ball. Let the o-line be the aggressors instead of putting them on their heels.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 11:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kay Adams in her interview by Dan also said we need to play aggressive. Dorsey isn't near as aggressive as Dabol.

Oh yeah, I would say Carman is still a Gap scheme guy but agree that Scharping and especially Adeniji seem like wide zone guys.

But like you said, no time to change what we are doing.

The main reason I see the new guys as more mobile is the injuries and the depth guys are fresh. Williams has the knee issue, Collins the back issue and Cappa is built more like a tank has some mobility but think Max might be is a little bit more mobile.
Reply/Quote
Have TE and RBs hep in protection. The Bills secondary is thinned out. Let our WRs eat.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 11:37 PM)samhain Wrote: You have to establish the run game.  

It will be easier on the new linemen, slow down the Bills offense, and keep the defense from teeing off with the pass rush.  It's that simple.  

If the Bengals win, it will be because they have success running the ball.  Let the o-line be the aggressors instead of putting them on their heels.

Run blocking seems like always the best way to integrate young OL...

You would think so with the new OL. Still the Bills Secondary is bad against the pass and Burrow is so damn good with his 
WR's and Hurst. Mix it up, but make sure you play Samaje Perine a lot to block is still the strategy I think we need to go with.

Use the running game to keep them honest is about all I think we need to do and use the RB's in the passing game as an 
extension of the running game.

(01-20-2023, 11:40 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The main reason I see the new guys as more mobile is the injuries and the depth guys are fresh. Williams has the knee issue, Collins the back issue and Cappa is built more like a tank has some mobility but think Max might be is a little bit more mobile.

True, they are fresh and much more athletic than the guys they were replacing. 

Use that for sure to our advantage any way you can.

(01-20-2023, 11:43 PM)Destro Wrote: Have TE and RBs hep in protection. The Bills secondary is thinned out. Let our WRs eat.

Sure seems like the winning strategy to me...

I don't know how they keep up with our WR's if Burrow has any time.
Reply/Quote
This is Carman’s chance (maybe last chance) at what seems to be his most comfortable position. Let’s all just hope the big guy makes the most of his chance and kills it. Heck he’s replacing Jonah not Munoz. Jonah has been solid in his career not spectacular, but this was just not his year (allowed 12 sacks ?). Carman seems healthy. Just tell the big fella, if you see a blue jersey hit it.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 11:37 PM)samhain Wrote: You have to establish the run game.  

It will be easier on the new linemen, slow down the Bills offense, and keep the defense from teeing off with the pass rush.  It's that simple.  

If the Bengals win, it will be because they have success running the ball.  Let the o-line be the aggressors instead of putting them on their heels.

I think opposite with probably the inconsistency of this new line , we will have trouble with long drives and will need more chunk yards rhan we have been having of late to be most effective plus have to lean on Burrow even more in this one. Chunk yards and turnover free wins the day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Jackson as well as the line is going to surprise all the naysayers.

BTW…f you Eric Weddle and f you all those broken down retired ass holes Ravens like Bart Scott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2023, 12:05 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: This is Carman’s chance (maybe last chance) at what seems to be his most comfortable position. Let’s all just hope the big guy makes the most of his chance and kills it. Heck he’s replacing Jonah not Munoz. Jonah has been solid in his career not spectacular, but this was just not his year (allowed 12 sacks ?). Carman seems healthy. Just tell the big fella, if you see a blue jersey hit it.

This is my hope for Carman too, take this big opportunity and make the most of it. It's time.

I know he was coming on the field in relief last week, but he had two bad critical mistakes when the Bengals had late possessions in a playoff game:
- a blown-by sack
- critical holding penalty negating a good running play

Can't be having that stuff late in this week's game.

Let's Go Carman! Bring it this week!
Reply/Quote