Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Through 2 Games
(09-21-2021, 12:27 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The team screwed up FA by not filling one of the two big offensive holes with a real solution so that the draft board was open.

Based on his play last year Bobby Hart was clearly one of the biggest problems on our O-line.

And we signed a very good player to fix that hole.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on his play last year Bobby Hart was clearly one of the biggest problems on our O-line.

And we signed a very good player to fix that hole.

And didn't replace A.J. or XSF on the interior... which again is why we had two big holes and only could fill one.

There were several of us around here saying that XSF couldn't be counted on to perform or stay healthy.... and two weeks in and he hasn't performed and is already banged up.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:41 PM)Benton Wrote: It took several years of bad drafting, bad free agents and bad negotiating for the line to get where it is.

If we put a lot of emphasis into it (seeking out proven FA, making good drafting decisions, and locking down the talent on the roster) then we might get a decent OL in a couple seasons. And a good one (good starters, not a ton of dropoff in depth) in 3-4 years.

Unfortunately, our focus is on skills players and corners, and has been for several years. We're a looooong way off from having a decent line.

The Chiefs and Chargers just fixed their o-lines in one offseason. It would not take 2-4 off seasons if the o-line was a front office priority.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:42 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Chiefs and Chargers just fixed their o-lines in one offseason.  It would not take 2-4 off seasons if the o-line was a front office priority.

The Chiefs and Chargers did not have holes all over the roster like the Bengals did.

But I agree that it should not take 3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And didn't replace A.J. or XSF on the interior.

I assume you meant "M.J." and he was replaced by Spain.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There were several of us around here saying that XSF couldn't be counted on to perform or stay healthy.... and two weeks in and he hasn't performed and is already banged up.

And we used a top 50 pick in the draft to replace him.  Looks like it is time to see if that works out.

You can't afford to build an entire team through free agency.  You have to address some problems in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: And the 16 QB hits?

As "bad" as it's been, the Bengals offensive line is currently 19th in the league in pass block efficiency at 85.4. They've given up a total of 15 pressures, which is good for 8th best and they've given up 4 sacks, which is tied for 27th best. So, while not being good keeping the QB off the ground, they are much better in keeping him clean, overall. At least a portion of those sacks has to do with his mobility not being what it was last year before the injuy. 

If you could see the numbers of some of the other offensive lines, you'd probably be shocked. Nine teams have already given up 26 or more pressures and 16 have given up 20 or more. Six teams have given up 4 or more sacks, with Tennessee leading the pack at 8.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
For reference, the Bengals Oline last year finished 27th in PBE at 84.3 and gave up the 6th most pressures. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:42 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Chiefs and Chargers just fixed their o-lines in one offseason.  It would not take 2-4 off seasons if the o-line was a front office priority.

Chargers are currently 11th in PBE at 87.8 and have given up 21 pressures. 
Chiefs are currently 8th in PBE at 89.0 and have given up 14 pressures. 

Both have given up 2 sacks.

Reply/Quote
Herbert has been sacked 4 times overall and Mahomes has been sacked just the 2. 

Sorry about the new posts. This freaking comp at work won't seem to let me edit a post 99% of the time.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool bro thought so.  ThumbsUp

We will see how bad he looks after 2 games, it hasn't been promising so far and the Packers have some good pass rushers.

Chase on the other hand has looked more than promising in his first 2 NFL games. Thought Burrow missed Chase early too against
the Bears where Chase was running a short Post Slant and Burrow threw outside to Tee instead and it ended in an incompletion.

Burrow just had a rough game and it sure wasn't all on the OL.

Need to audible out of those outside curls if the DB's are all over them. Use Tee on inside curls so he can use his body to shield.

He gave up 1 pressure in game #2. 

149 snaps, 7 pressures, 0 sacks, 96.6 efficiency, 1 penalty.

EDIT: Farking computer... 110 passblock snaps.

Reply/Quote
It’s almost like there is an entire team of NFL caliber defenders receiving NFL caliber paychecks lining up against our OL and winning some of the reps. Absolutely crazy stuff.

I have never heard of any of these scrub defenders on the Bears defensive front that gave us trouble. We should cut the entire line and start over.

Ps sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 02:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: right and many on here Yell OL they are meaning Pass pro... (no matter who is blocking)

A mountain of truth here but people can't yell "oline is terrible" when they're not.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume you meant "M.J." and he was replaced by Spain.

No I meant A.J. as in A.J. Green. 

There was two major holes on offense, a need for a 3rd WR and the need to fix the OL. 

If the point all along was draft Chase, then you can't cheap out on the OL in FA, and signing one new guy in Reiff to replace the holes of XSF and Bobby Hart, plus the coming off injury Hopkins and the unknown and oft injured Jonah Williams isn't enough work in FA. Can't count Spain in this since he was re-signed not actually added.

(09-21-2021, 05:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And we used a top 50 pick in the draft to replace him.  Looks like it is time to see if that works out.

You can't afford to build an entire team through free agency.  You have to address some problems in the draft.

When you dumped all the money into the D two years in a row... there certainly was enough cash to go out and get any number of upgrades that went to Sand Diego or Kansas City or even Zeitler would be an improvement over XSF right now. There was a chance, there was plenty of options and opportunity. The team whiffed and now, this is the result Burrow is on pace to be sacked more then David Carr. TE and RBs be damned, the pass blocking from the OL outside of Spain against Chicago was trash, and a little more effort in FA, or in trading or in gettting a WR in FA and drafting Sewell, Slater or Vera-Tucker goes a long way to fixing the issues.

Teams like KC who were in cap hell found a way to get Thuney with voidable years and thinking outside the box, that is building a championship roster. That is commitment to your fans and your brand and to winning. The Bengals version of that??? A long over-due ring of honor, new jerseys, a WR to sell those jerseys, a new social media directior that is from the family and a throne to sit on pre-game. I'd trade all that crap for a damn winning season and a real commitment from the front office that is never there. Not once, since 1991.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:22 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The entire streak of losing seasons coincides with our o-line failures.

It started with Ogbuehi/Fisher/Bodine and went on from there.

Agree 100%

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Good Post
Reply/Quote
We need Carman to go out there and show that he was worth drafting in the second round. I think he could be a fine player if he keeps the weight off and stays disciplined.

I don't think taking Chase over Sewell is all that bad of a decision. If you're going to win anything in this league, you will need an offense that can put up 30 to keep up with teams like KC and Tampa. You have no prayer without a good compliment of skill guys.

The sin was not Chase over Sewell. The only real failure will be if Carman busts and they failed to get a quality OL in the 2nd, which is a fairly reasonable expectiation. The verdict on the 2021 draft won't be in until we see what Carman can do in an actual game.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 07:37 PM)samhain Wrote:  The sin was not Chase over Sewell.  The only real failure will be if Carman busts and they failed to get a quality OL in the 2nd, which is a fairly reasonable expectiation. 

I agree, it really is more about if you take Chase then you need to get someone in the draft or FA that is a day one starter in the guard position in addition to the Reiff pickup. This offensive line was such a hot mess last year, getting one starting lineman is far from fixing this line. And we're seeing that already in week 2. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 06:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: For reference, the Bengals Oline last year finished 27th in PBE at 84.3 and gave up the 6th most pressures. 

FWIW, I was watching Sewell last night and when I was watching (last part of 2nd Q and rest of game) he looked stout.  Hes got that low center of gravity (Peko Build)
I really hope Carman comes in like a wrecking ball...that would be a great boost to the line and the team.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: Well this off season's biggest focus for improvement was the OL. There has been PLENTY of debate on here on whether it was addressed properly or not.

Let the numbers speak for themselves..

Burrow sacks so far.

* 2nd & 7, Shotgun, play-action
* 1st & 10, Under Center, play-action
* 1st & 10, Under Center, play-action
* 3rd & 5, Shotgun
* 3rd & 3, Shotgun
* 3rd & 10, Shotgun
* 2nd & 1, Shotgun, Empty
* 2nd & 10, Shotgun, Empty (busted play)
* 2nd & 10, Shotgun, Empty

In addition to 16 QB hits according to ESPN stats.

So I guess it wasn't addressed so well after all the back and forth this offseason debates.

My only hope is we don't have Burrow get knocked out for a second year in a row and eventually become Andrew Luck 2.0 because of an inept front office addressing this issue. We have a Quarterback who can become one of the greats if allowed with protection. Instead, he looks like he will be a casualty of war from lack of protection if this trend continues throughout the year.

I know what your point is, but Burrow was not the same caliber QB coming into the league as Luck.
Luck was able to still accomplish winning records while at QB in all but one season.
All while having a bad OL.

We should be so lucky to see Burrow accomplish what Luck accomplished in 6 seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote