Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line remains unsettled
I didn't get to see the entire game, but to my eyes, OG looked the best I have seen of him albeit against backups. But does this mean OG makes the team?

I still have concerns regarding RG, something I didn't anticipate given the potential for Redmond and Westerman.

Hopkins looked better at Center than he has at guard. Does this mean TJ Johnson is gone?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:28 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I didn't get to see the entire game, but to my eyes, OG looked the best I have seen of him albeit against backups.  But does this mean OG makes the team?  

I still have concerns regarding RG, something I didn't anticipate given the potential for Redmond and Westerman.  

Hopkins looked better at Center than he has at guard.  Does this mean TJ Johnson is gone?

Baby steps. I saw the OL dominate in pass protection against a very good Bill's DL so a big plus. I thought Hopkins won the right guard spot and mentioned in game thread, TJ Johnson may be on ropes.

Just preseason, but don't recall a game since 2015 when our pass protection was close to this good.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Baby steps. I saw the OL dominate in pass protection against a very good Bill's DL so a big plus. I thought Hopkins won the right guard spot and mentioned in game thread, TJ Johnson may be on ropes.

Just preseason, but don't recall a game since 2015 when our pass protection was close to this good.

What did you think about Hart's performance?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Pass protection was really good tonight. Run blocking... well, let's just say par for the course. Neither of our RBs had any good production on the ground.
Reply/Quote
Redmond has the same problem he's had since the Bengals signed him, false starts even deep in our own territory . He's an automatic 5 yard penalty machine on 1st down.  I have a hunch they'll still run them all ragged in next week's game even if it's just 2s and 3s.. Someone has to step up and take the job eventually unless they plan on the eternal revolving door line.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Pass protection was really good tonight. Run blocking... well, let's just say par for the course. Neither of our RBs had any good production on the ground.

I am surprised the run blocking wasn't good at least from the left side with Glenn, Boling, and Price.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What did you think about Hart's performance?

I thought every OL gets a B+ or above in pass protection, but based on results a "F" run blocking with exception of Ced. whose run blocking ws OK today.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Pass pro they looked good overall, and should definitely be better than last year (which isnt saying much).

Next offseason they need to find a quality run mauler or two, because I dont see any yet. Price still has time to improve though, so not dissing on his run blocking.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What did you think about Hart's performance?

I thought he looked improved versus last week in pass protection, but still issues run blocking as did entire starting OL. Only Ced. looked decent both run and pass blocking.

Reply/Quote
We could have a good season with a stout defense and all the weapons Dalton has to throw to, but winning a playoff game isnt likely if we dont get this run game started pronto. We did look good in pass protection and thats encouraging, but run blocking isnt even decent, its flat out crap. It was good to see Ced improving tho.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Pass protection was really good tonight. Run blocking... well, let's just say par for the course. Neither of our RBs had any good production on the ground.

Did you see the box, though?  The Bills had 8 guys near the line of scrimmage every play.  It was almost like the old "Greg Brady/Jerry Rogers" stole the playbook and we gave them a phony one.  The offense had receivers running wide open.  Ross dropped another potential huge play and Cethan Carter had at least a 30 yard gain he dropped with no one near him.

I give them a pass on the run blocking.  If they are giving you the easy completions and putting it all on their secondary, take it.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Redmond has the same problem he's had since the Bengals signed him, false starts even deep in our own territory . He's an automatic 5 yard penalty machine on 1st down.  I have a hunch they'll still run them all ragged in next week's game even if it's just 2s and 3s.. Someone has to step up and take the job eventually unless they plan on the eternal revolving door line.. 

He did have a second false start.  And he had a hold that they didn't show on replay.  I don't know, though..the dude is probably the best run blocker on the line.  We were all over Billy Price for bad snaps...doesn't seem to be an issue now.  

Dalton had all day and they even threw extra rushers.  And as I always say, if we give Dalton time, he will pick teams apart.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 08:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Redmond has the same problem he's had since the Bengals signed him, false starts even deep in our own territory . He's an automatic 5 yard penalty machine on 1st down.  I have a hunch they'll still run them all ragged in next week's game even if it's just 2s and 3s.. Someone has to step up and take the job eventually unless they plan on the eternal revolving door line.. 

No one has been that automatic for a false start since Gresham suited up in stripes.........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

Today he played good.....lets hope that continues into the regular season
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
He actually played against their 1’s & did pretty good. Although to me, he looked hesitant. I’m worried he still will be beat regularly. Looks like stunts & blitzes will eat him alive. But for today, he did well & that’s all anyone can ask.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
corpjet Wrote:No one has been that automatic for a false start since Gresham suited up in stripes.........
lol the old Gresham false start on 3 and 1 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 09:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He did have a second false start.  And he had a hold that they didn't show on replay.  I don't know, though..the dude is probably the best run blocker on the line.  We were all over Billy Price for bad snaps...doesn't seem to be an issue now.  

Dalton had all da7y and they even threw extra rushers.  And as I always say, if we give Dalton time, he will pick teams apart.  

The thing with Redmond is false starts have been an ongoing issue with him for a good while now,  practice, games , you name it and according to Laph the only reason he's never really broken the starting line. False starts are a real nono for linemen.. Price cleaned up his issues. Redmond never has.  If he could stop doing it he might make a good guard, but not with consistent false starts.. Even holding can be overlooked, but false starts are a killer of offensive linemen.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 11:30 PM)lone bengal Wrote: lol the old Gresham false start on 3 and 1 

Followed by a 3 yard catch on 3rd and 6
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2018, 11:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: The thing with Redmond is false starts have been an ongoing issue with him for a good while now,  practice, games , you name it and according to Laph the only reason he's never really broken the starting line. False starts are a real nono for linemen.. Price cleaned up his issues. Redmond never has.  If he could stop doing it he might make a good guard, but not with consistent false starts.. Even holding can be overlooked, but false starts are a killer of offensive linemen
I would cut him just for the fact he has not fixed this in two years, clearly not that bright
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Redmond had a somewhat penalty ridden game and our run game still is doing absolutely nothing of note.

Like, it's actually gotten to the point of hilarity.

The Bengals are playing Football like I do on Madden. Why would you ever waste a down rushing the ball when your passing offense is so dangerous and your running offense is so pathetically useless?
Reply/Quote