Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive line train wreck in slow motion
This is a 10-win team easy, with an offensive line. Not a great offensive line mind you. Just a decent offensive line. It's especially frustrating given how everybody saw this coming the entire offseason, there was no question the line would suck. Don't let the early scores deceive you either. They game planned really well, and their scripted plays were on point. However, once the Steelers adapted, you could see the end zone was closed for business.

I've been a fan of this team for longer than I care to admit, but it's really hard to care these days, especially when the ownership is satisfied with mediocrity. This is not an "I quit the Bengals" rant, just venting. Not particularly insightful venting either, but I guess I feel better now.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:39 PM)Utts Wrote: This is a 10-win team easy, with an offensive line. Not a great offensive line mind you. Just a decent offensive line. It's especially frustrating given how everybody saw this coming the entire offseason, there was no question the line would suck. Don't let the early scores deceive you either. They game planned really well, and their scripted plays were on point. However, once the Steelers adapted, you could see the end zone was closed for business.

I've been a fan of this team for longer than I care to admit, but it's really hard to care these days, especially when the ownership is satisfied with mediocrity. This is not an "I quit the Bengals" rant, just venting. Not particularly insightful venting either, but I guess I feel better now.

Agreed. Every game this year was winnable and IF we had a good offensive line we could be 4-2 at worst now and probably 5-1.

Lazor is mediocre. Very mediocre as an OC.
Reply/Quote
The frustrating thing is they say, "those guys need more snaps to get better," and then they go to this rotational horsesh!t. Isn't it time to admit those guys are as good as they're going to get, and they're not good enough? They sure didn't have a problem admitting that about other players, even when it wasn't (and still isn't) true. I still like individual Bengals players. However, IDGAF about the Bengals, and haven't since September 22. I still want the good guys to play well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There comes a time when you have to ask: Why not see what Westerman and Dielman can do.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:39 PM)Utts Wrote: This is a 10-win team easy, with an offensive line. Not a great offensive line mind you. Just a decent offensive line. It's especially frustrating given how everybody saw this coming the entire offseason, there was no question the line would suck. Don't let the early scores deceive you either. They game planned really well, and their scripted plays were on point. However, once the Steelers adapted, you could see the end zone was closed for business.

Spot on !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 10:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There comes a time when you have to ask: Why not see what Westerman and Dielman can do.

That's a great question? How bad could they be?
Reply/Quote
We all knew it was going to be terrible before the ***** draft. I don't know why we are all surprised it is indeed terrible.

I get hope and all but in the back of our minds we knew it was going to be awful.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great question? How bad could they be?
I watched Redmond attempt to play a couple of weeks ago.

They can be HORRIFIC
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a great question? How bad could they be?

Westerman must be bad considering he was inactive all last year and the Bengals have already tired Hopkins, Johnson and even Redmond at Right guard over him this year. I used to say this last year with Fisher not playing right tackle. Used to say to myself Fisher can’t be worse then Ogbuehi and Winston, can he ? Found out this year why Fisher wasn’t playing .. because he stinks along with the rest of this o-line.
Reply/Quote
Watching the center and guard slide to help other offensive linemen block a guy leaving a gaping hole that defenders run into and get sacks time after time is terrible. They need to stay in their gaps and form the pocket if the other linemen fail its on them. The line is our downfall and I don't see it getting any better this year if they have not come together by now they wont. A lineman putting a paw on a rusher close to him to help slow the rush is one thing sliding a few yards out of your gap is another entirely.
Reply/Quote
Even the most vigilant homer would admit this is a symptom of an incompetent FO. Good job guys, you got the most value for your dollar. Unfortunately, it didnt field a winning football team.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:44 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Watching the center and guard slide to help other offensive linemen block a guy leaving a gaping hole that defenders run into and get sacks time after time is terrible. They need to stay in their gaps and form the pocket if the other linemen fail its on them. The line is our downfall and I don't see it getting any better this year if they have not come together by now they wont. A lineman putting a paw on a rusher close to him to help slow the rush is one thing sliding a few yards out of your gap is another entirely.

Agreed. I feel a lot of this falls on coaching. What the hell is the OLine coach teaching these guys? Why does Bodine consistently go to help a guard while leaving an untouched rusher a clear path to the QB? Could part of the bad play be scheme issues?

Honestly, we all know 4 of our OLineman do not deserve to be starting for a professional football team, but some of this clearly falls at the feet of our OLine coach. Unfortunately, even if Marvin gets fired, I doubt the new coach will be allowed to replace Alexander the Great.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:47 PM)treee Wrote: Even the most vigilant homer would admit this is a symptom of an incopetent FO. Good job guys, you got the most value for your dollar. Unfortunately, it didnt field a winning football team.

Oh...there are people on this board that think if you fire Marvin that we could have a dynasty with this roster...and that other teams are trying to copy our model.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh...there are people on this board that think if you fire Marvin that we could have a dynasty with this roster...and that other teams are trying to copy our model.
I've been on the Marvin as co-GM (with Tobin) bandwagon since 2007. Unfortunately that's been shot down already. Dude can put together a professional defense, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
2 huge problems with this current team.

1. This line is the worst in team history. That's not exaggerating one bit.
2. The choking culture.

Fix the line and give us a good head coach (think Jim Harbaugh) and people would be amazed at the difference. Of course, the biggest problem of all is the one we'll never be rid of. The Brown family. But I do believe in Dalton, Green, Mixon, Gio, Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict. WJax and Lawson are also good young players.

When Marvin has great pieces and a non-historically bad o-line, he can get 10 wins, but something he's doing is causing this team to constantly lose against the Steelers, and prime time games...and playoff games. I'm not sure what that is, but we have 15 years of evidence with 2 different cores, multiple QBs, coordinators, you name it.

Everything's been flipped around 3 times at least, yet the results are identical since 2003.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 10:37 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: We all knew it was going to be terrible before the ***** draft. I don't know why we are all surprised it is indeed terrible.

I get hope and all but in the back of our minds we knew it was going to be awful.

Exactly.

Reply/Quote
Dude this is the iceberg that sunk Titanic not just a train rec. We should be the favorite to win a championship not a team selecting in the top 10.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2 huge problems with this current team.

1. This line is the worst in team history. That's not exaggerating one bit.
2. The choking culture.

Fix the line and give us a good head coach (think Jim Harbaugh) and people would be amazed at the difference. Of course, the biggest problem of all is the one we'll never be rid of. The Brown family. But I do believe in Dalton, Green, Mixon, Gio, Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict. WJax and Lawson are also good young players.

When Marvin has great pieces and a non-historically bad o-line, he can get 10 wins, but something he's doing is causing this team to constantly lose against the Steelers, and prime time games...and playoff games. I'm not sure what that is, but we have 15 years of evidence with 2 different cores, multiple QBs, coordinators, you name it.

Everything's been flipped around 3 times at least, yet the results are identical since 2003.

For sure !

If you go back and look at all our "big games" with a handful of exceptions (playoffs excluded) it's the same story over and over again. We get horribly out coached, out played, out scored, out intensified in the 2nd half, bad !

When it really matters we fold ! We're averaging scoring like 5 points in the second half vs. Steelers of late. What's our second half playoff score average ? doubt it's doulbe digits.

Mike Brown $%u#$ @$# but that's not his fault. Marvin Lewis led teams = choke artists, period.
Reply/Quote
Why they.don't bring in Brandon Albert is beyond me
Coming off the street he would be a upgrade over Cedric and Jake
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When Marvin has great pieces and a non-historically bad o-line, he can get 10 wins, but something he's doing is causing this team to constantly lose against the Steelers, and prime time games...and playoff games. I'm not sure what that is, but we have 15 years of evidence with 2 different cores, multiple QBs, coordinators, you name it.

There’s one consistent thread which extends beyond 2003: “Sing us a song, you’re the...” who has been on staff since 1992.
Reply/Quote