Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-30-2021, 11:05 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't think of a single 2nd rounder that I would be willing to trade the ability to choose from Sewell/Chase/Pitts.

The Patriots 1st round pick is 15. At that point all three are gone, along with likely Slater/Smith/Waddle. You'll likely have the 3rd best OL or 4th best WR to choose from at 15, and nothing the Patriots have draft pick-wise really is tempting to make that downgrade for.

1 Ronnie Stanley is better than 2 Jonah Williams
1 Julio Jones is better than 2 Tyler Boyds
1 Travis Kelce is better than 2 Jermaine Greshams

At some point if you want to be a great team, you need some great players. Not saying you need a ton of great players, because I don't think any team has that, but you need at least 3-5 truly big time difference makers. The Bengals have borderline 1 right now (Bates, who I would love to see take another small step forward and cement that status) and they are in position to potentially get another one of those right now. At 15 that is much less likely.

- - - - - - -
EDIT: Worth noting that the last time the Bengals traded back with the Patriots, the Patriots got Chandler Jones (a guy who is on pace to be a HoF candidate) and the Bengals got Kevin Zeitler after David DeCastro (a guy on pace to be a borderline HoF candidate) was taken just a couple picks ahead of them.

The pick they got to trade down? Was used on Brandon Thompson.

David DeCastro
or
Kevin Zeitler + Brandon Thompson

Who would you have rather had?

thats because you cant see the future... most of the top guys in the NFL were not 1st round draft picks
(03-30-2021, 11:12 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Bates wasn't a first rounder and is arguably our best player on the team.

With how much talent we need on this team and the amount of upgrades we need, getting additional picks in the early part of the draft helps this year (the extra 2nd) but then you are getting two of the top 32 guys in the next two drafts? That is a great value and helps restock a down roster.

It isn't like Sewell or Chase or Pitts is the missing link that takes us from 4 wins to playoffs. We are still going to be probably at best a .500 team next year. So, maybe 2022 is the season they make the jump and if you have two 1st rounders in the draft and the ability to trade the 2023 additional 1st rounder to move up... it absolutely is the smart move.

Completely agree with you.  You have to make that trade.  

This team is going to be lucky if they go 9-8 this year and that's only if everything goes well and they stay healthy.  

Line up 2 extra picks for next season when the new coach comes in and can start building this roster correctly. 
(03-30-2021, 11:05 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't think of a single 2nd rounder that I would be willing to trade the ability to choose from Sewell/Chase/Pitts.

The Patriots 1st round pick is 15. At that point all three are gone, along with likely Slater/Smith/Waddle. You'll likely have the 3rd best OL or 4th best WR to choose from at 15, and nothing the Patriots have draft pick-wise really is tempting to make that downgrade for.

1 Ronnie Stanley is better than 2 Jonah Williams
1 Julio Jones is better than 2 Tyler Boyds
1 Travis Kelce is better than 2 Jermaine Greshams

At some point if you want to be a great team, you need some great players. Not saying you need a ton of great players, because I don't think any team has that, but you need at least 3-5 truly big time difference makers. The Bengals have borderline 1 right now (Bates, who I would love to see take another small step forward and cement that status) and they are in position to potentially get another one of those right now. At 15 that is much less likely.

- - - - - - -
EDIT: Worth noting that the last time the Bengals traded back with the Patriots, the Patriots got Chandler Jones (a guy who is on pace to be a HoF candidate) and the Bengals got Kevin Zeitler after David DeCastro (a guy on pace to be a borderline HoF candidate) was taken just a couple picks ahead of them.

The pick they got to trade down? Was used on Brandon Thompson.

David DeCastro
or
Kevin Zeitler + Brandon Thompson

Who would you have rather had?

Leonard, I think the reason you make this trade is you can get more talent and this team needs talent.  

If you look at the organizations history of making draft picks in the 1st round period they usually arent good either way you go lol

So we have to hope and pray that the so called scouts that work for the team are doing their jobs correctly.

I looked at the drafts the past 2 years and neither draft impressed me.  We've gotten some talent from them but they arent that great of drafts.  

I'm just hoping the next coaching staff is better at evaluating players than Taylor and his staff. 
(03-30-2021, 10:47 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Where is this information that Zeitler didn't want to come here?

In a way, the Bengals getting Zeitler back would have been poetic and an admission of the problematic roster-building lately. But Zeitler was apparently out of their price range, so now they will instead have to face him twice a year in the AFC North.

All I've seen was that he got a better offer from Baltimore with more money and more guaranteed money then Cincinnati offered him.

That isn't a not wanting to go somewhere, that's just taking the best offer.

Spain signed for a little under 2 million to give you an idea of their "price range". 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
If we can't get elite players like we can at 5 in the 2nd round then how are we supposedly going to find an elite Tackle prospect in the 2nd round as is the growing approved plan on this board?

Not sure I see how we can have it both ways.

I say make the trade. We have many holes.

(03-30-2021, 11:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: If we can't get elite players like we can at 5 in the 2nd round then how are we supposedly going to find an elite Tackle prospect in the 2nd round as is the growing approved plan on this board?  

Not sure I see how we can have it both ways.

Well if you're thinking like the front office probably is then you're thinking we'll have 2 #1 picks next year and we can draft an OT to replace Reif and in this year's 2nd round they can draft an OG.   While still having an extra #1 pick and a couple other picks.  

Me personally I think this team needs help on the OL in a desperate way.  JoeyB will be running for his life once again this year.  My only hope is he finds confidence in taking a hit again because he'll be taking quite a few hits this year if they dont do something with this line. 

I mean at least when Palmer had is knee reconstructed and came back he had a solid OL.  He didn't have to worry about being sacked 40-50 times a year not including the hits.  

That's probably my biggest worry is Burrows confidence level due to our OL ineptness. 
I'm down for the trade if it happens. Even if it means losing out on Chase/Pitts.

(03-30-2021, 11:07 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: IF we get a big package like Miami did, we should emulate them and trade back up to #7 with Detroit.

At #7, I can still get 1 of Sewell, Chase, Pitts. Unless Detroit is willing, I tell NE to bug off.

This.  Detroit makes sense if they want to overpay to get to 5.  That or we do a NE deal with Detroit losing the QB but moving down to 15 short of like Philly in the Miami trade.  

If they have those 3 without a clear cut BPA at 5 l I'm all for getting one of them at 7 and a 3rd and 4th from Detroit.  It Atlanta passes on all 3, Carolina is a trade spot.  Maybe you get their 2nd by including your own 4th.  
Sewell is the only pick here. It has to be Sewell.

Sewell/Reiff/Hopkins/Spain or pick/Williams

Let’s roll.
(03-30-2021, 11:39 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Well if you're thinking like the front office probably is then you're thinking we'll have 2 #1 picks next year and we can draft an OT to replace Reif and in this year's 2nd round they can draft an OG.   While still having an extra #1 pick and a couple other picks.  

Me personally I think this team needs help on the OL in a desperate way.  JoeyB will be running for his life once again this year.  My only hope is he finds confidence in taking a hit again because he'll be taking quite a few hits this year if they dont do something with this line. 

I mean at least when Palmer had is knee reconstructed and came back he had a solid OL.  He didn't have to worry about being sacked 40-50 times a year not including the hits.  

That's probably my biggest worry is Burrows confidence level due to our OL ineptness. 

that OL started falling apart game 2 that year(2006)... we lost 2 starters.
If they want Sewell, they should be able to trade down to 8 or 9 and still get him. Can't trade down and get Chase.
(03-30-2021, 11:48 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: Sewell is the only pick here. It has to be Sewell.

Sewell/Reiff/Hopkins/Spain or pick/Williams

Let’s roll.

Na, it's gotta be Chase. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-30-2021, 03:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Na, it's gotta be Chase. 

sorry. my money is on Pitts if there, then Sewell if there and 3rd would be Chase
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
The Bromance continues.... (maybe I am late).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/30/bills-sign-bobby-hart/

(03-30-2021, 04:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: The Bromance continues.... (maybe I am late).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/30/bills-sign-bobby-hart/

its a good deal for the Bills...  You wont find many backups with harts experience and ability
(03-30-2021, 05:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its a good deal for the Bills...  You wont find many backups with harts experience and ability

Your right. He played like a backup here so he's exactly what they would expect in one.

(03-30-2021, 05:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your right. He played like a backup here so he's exactly what they would expect in one.

but.. but... PFF...
(03-30-2021, 05:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: but.. but... PFF...

His PFF scores were only decent because of his run blocking. He sucks in pass pro.

Per roto world, chiefs sign Austin Blythe. Austin Reiter or bust unless we want to wait for the June 1 cuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-30-2021, 04:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: sorry. my money is on Pitts if there, then Sewell if there and 3rd would be Chase

I'd take Chase and Pitts over Sewell. Malik Wright who has been dead on during the Bengals FA said the Bengals wont take Pitts. I think its going to be Chase. 

Chase is a generational talent at WR and his chemistry with Burrow def adds a cherry on top.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy