Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-17-2021, 10:18 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Hey guys..I'm fairly new here and I definitely don't want to be negative.  I hadn't seen the info below and was honestly shocked at the ineptitude of the Bengals FO and failure in drafting the OL.  

I was wondering if anyone else had looked back at our drafts since 2015 and looked at how well we've drafted for the offensive line?   I was just curious and looked up previous drafts and was just curious as to whether i should trust this front office to draft any position on the OL?  

2015: Ogbuehi & Fisher - Both outta football
2016: Westerman - Retired
2017: Dielman - Retired (Good lord I never realized how bad that 2017 draft was minus a few wins)
2018: Billy Price & Rod Taylor - Price rides the bench and Taylor looks to be outta footbal
2019: Williams (played 10 games in 2 season) and Michael Jordan - needs to ride the pine
2020: Adeniji - who we have no clue how he's going to turn out

However, looking at this mess and do we really have faith and confidence this organization can draft an OL?  Thats the reason I wanted them spend the money on Zeitler or one of the big names.   

The draft is never guaranteed no matter how high you draft in it.  I just found it interesting to see how many players were out of the NFL that we'd drafted in the last 6 years.  Fisher and Ogbuehli should be just starting their 2nd contracts.  I hate to say but Billy Price might as well be cut because he doesnt offer this team anything other than effort.  I thought he'd be a stud coming out of Ohio State and he's been a bust.  

Anyway, just hadnt seen this posted anywhere and thought i'd put it out there. 

this is why im not excited about us building the OL thru the draft this year.... WE havent been good at it in a long time
(03-17-2021, 10:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this is why im not excited about us building the OL thru the draft this year.... WE havent been good at it in a long time

Xeno, I hate to agree with you but I do. 

I mean if you look at this years draft the can't miss guy is Sewell.  Great size, and prototypical OT.  My problem with him is he hasnt played football in almost 2 years.  You learn your position by playing not practicing or being in the weight room.  You can be the strongest OL in the league and still have shitty technique.  

Then the kid out of Northwestern.  I think he could be good but I don't think he's a top 5 pick right now.  

So there's 2 potential whiffs and misses that this organization frankly can't afford to miss on.  

"IF" this team thinks it has a change at the playoffs in the next 2 or 3 years this draft and FA period needs to be successful. 

Honestly, I think this team has no chance in hell of making the playoffs this year with Lou as the DC and the OL in shambles the way it is. 
Hope we get a couple linemen today.
(03-17-2021, 10:42 AM)tBengal Wrote: Hope we get a couple linemen today.

If we do, I'm sure it will be after 4pm.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-17-2021, 10:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: this is why im not excited about us building the OL thru the draft this year.... WE havent been good at it in a long time

Precisely why we are going to do great. Law of averages is on our side. 
What is plan for the O-line? Nothing they’ve done has helped the ONE THING they needed to address. Draft Sewell or Slater ..... ok. Now what. Hopkins is a question mark, No guards, Jonah is hopefully back to 100%. They need to go after Hudson... hard. There are some guys available for a veteran presence, but their best days are behind them.
Bengals management is repeating its gross negligence we witnessed last year if they fail to sign at least 2 good o line free agents.

They should have cleared more cap space and offered Thuney or someone at his level a contract he could not refuse. That would have made a statement.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over even when it fails over and over.

We probably wont sign a decent o lineman ( they will sign someone similar to the second team guard from Houston we signed last year) and then draft a WR with the fifth pick.

Hart will remain as the right tackle.

Since this happens year after year after year- its not hard to predict.

Ps- I cannot believe that Fred questioned the poster who stated that the Family doesn't like to pay for guards. That goes all the way back when the Family  wrecked the o line by not re-signing Montoya.
(03-17-2021, 10:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Precisely why we are going to do great. Law of averages is on our side. 

Nothing is ever on the Bengals side.
Day 3.

Come on Duke, Katie, and Paul Jr. Bring in some Offensive Linemen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(03-17-2021, 10:49 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we do, I'm sure it will be after 4pm.

That’s what I figured, I’d love to go after Jackson and Hudson.
Cincy is down to ~$20 mill in projected cap, but they haven't cut anyone to free up more cap.
They have at least one hole on the OL to fill, but they have the cap room to fill that.
Technically, they have both a K and P in Austin Seibert, but they realistically need both a new K and P.

My expectation is they will sign 1-2 OL in FA prior to draft, at least one OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(03-17-2021, 09:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: were either of those two drafted by this staff?

Yeah, pretty sure the Browns and Tobin still ran the draft back then
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-17-2021, 11:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Cincy is down to ~$20 mill in projected cap, but they haven't cut anyone to free up more cap.
They have at least one hole on the OL to fill, but they have the cap room to fill that.
Technically, they have both a K and P in Austin Seibert, but they realistically need both a new K and P.

My expectation is they will sign 1-2 OL in FA prior to draft, at least one OG.

I figure an OG, WR, and maybe a defender (DT/DE/S) depending on if they get Geno's contract down. I am guessing they will wait on special teams until after the draft. Usually a lot of UDFA kickers you can go with. 
(03-17-2021, 11:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: I figure an OG, WR, and maybe a defender (DT/DE/S) depending on if they get Geno's contract down. I am guessing they will wait on special teams until after the draft. Usually a lot of UDFA kickers you can go with. 

Oh, yes, WR too. It's early and I just came out of an 8:00 AM work meeting lol.
I dunno about a defender, as they may feel they have all their starters and just want to draft backups. We'll see.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(03-17-2021, 11:18 AM)Synric Wrote: Day 3.

Non-scrub variety please.

(03-17-2021, 11:18 AM)Synric Wrote: Day 3.

I support our FO more than most, but if we sit on our hands on oline; I will be quite critical. Wilcots and Diehl were talking about us on my ride into work today. They both agreed David Andrews is perfect for us (veteran, tough guy) and were mixed on Trai Turner, both thought he fit our scheme but Deihl liked him better going back to Carolina. They acknowledged his fall off last year, but Diehl said Turner is the strongest guy off the snap in the league.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

This is a key moment where they need to back up their "win championships" talk.   It's not enough to cross your fingers and hope for Sewell.  It's not enough to count on development of the guys you've got.  They need a significant upgrade in at least two positions. And that's if all their young guys stay on track.  Five years of blown OL picks and thinking that this year would be the year that those picks come through is why we ended up with Burrow being carted off the field last year.
For what it’s worth, the Bengals Twitter account is hinting at some good things coming. Hopefully we see some OL signings.
(03-17-2021, 11:51 AM)Roland Wrote: This is a key moment where they need to back up their "win championships" talk.   It's not enough to cross your fingers and hope for Sewell.  It's not enough to count on development of the guys you've got.  They need a significant upgrade in at least two positions. And that's if all their young guys stay on track.  Five years of blown OL picks and thinking that this year would be the year that those picks come through is why we ended up with Burrow being carted off the field last year.

This x 1000

If they are even lucky enough to draft Sewell he can't be expected to be the end all be all from day one. 

Continuing to neglect the obvious is a dangerous game to play.
(03-17-2021, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I support our FO more than most, but if we sit on our hands on oline; I will be quite critical. Wilcots and Diehl were talking about us on my ride into work today. They both agreed David Andrews is perfect for us (veteran, tough guy) and were mixed on Trai Turner, both thought he fit our scheme but Deihl liked him better going back to Carolina. They acknowledged his fall off last year, but Diehl said Turner is the strongest guy off the snap in the league.

Front Office should look at LAC and take notes on what they did to protect their young Qb who ISNT coming off a torn knee.