Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Oh what tangled webs we weave"....The Finley situation
(11-01-2019, 12:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The question I have is if Finley comes in and completely stinks up the joint for a few games, do they throw Dalton back in there or do they shuffle the depth chart around and give Dolegala a go?

No way they can throw Dalton back in there after how they treated him. It would have to be Dolegala.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I personally have always been in the bunch that AD is not the problem, but I believe it is time to move on.
I don't believe this because Andy sucks, but rather his contract sucks for where we are. If AD was a player that could elevate everyone and lead us to playoff wins, the contract is fine. AD needs strength around him to do this and therefore his contract at 17.5 is too much. Finley looks to have many of the attributes Andy did when he came out, so give him a try. If he performs adequately, we can move Andy in the offseason. Andy will now become an asset to help us move forward.

I have and will always watch and cheer for the Bengals despite their shortcomings.

I also don't sweat the small stuff!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 11:07 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Basically I'm worried that we'll boil down the horrible offense into a single problem and not fix the system as a whole.

Too late. Unless you're talking about the coaching staff. Then maybe there's hope.

(11-01-2019, 12:53 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Dalton Gang will critique Finley's every move and not even take into account the horrible line and other excuses they constantly crowed about when it came to Andy. The roles will be reversed and the Dalton Gang will become the Whinners they say they hate.It ain't gonna be pretty!!!

And the Dalton haters will start talking about the poor blocking and/or the receivers' drops.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Too late. Unless you're talking about the coaching staff. Then maybe there's hope.

And the Dalton haters will start talking about the poor blocking and/or the receivers' drops.

Maybe Finley will throw a bunch of back breaking ints or fumble at the most inopportune times .
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Maybe Finley will throw a bunch of back breaking ints or fumble at the most inopportune times .

Maybe Finley will be one of the top QBs in game winning drives in the 4th QTR.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Maybe Finley will throw a bunch of back breaking ints or fumble at the most inopportune times .

I can almost guarantee that at some point Finley will throw a pick or lose a fumble.

At that point it will be interesting to see who blames the entire outcome of the game on that one single play even if it occurs in the middle of the first half.

The funny thing about Dalton was that he could make a lot of great plays, but none of them counted unless they were in the final seconds of a one score primetime game.  But if he made on bad throw in the first quarter of any game that one play was considered the only reason we lost.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 12:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I can hear the “Let’s try Jake Dolegala!” chant starting already.

You can hear me from Columbus?

Dolegala 2020 baby!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: You can hear me from Columbus?

Dolegala 2020 baby!

This could be a time when both backups were better than the starter.

Reply/Quote
I'm a believer in Finley from what I seen and read about fans who watched him in college. And the praise hes gotten. I think we got plenty of weapons right now for him to succeed and it's a good receiving core. The o line does need some talent there,we have 1 piece coming next year we already drafted. If finley does not show what I seen and heard and does not look better then dalton the rest of the season in my eyes,yes I will say draft a qb. 1st or 2bd round.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This could be a time when both backups were better than the starter.

From what I see in mechanics and talent standpoint I really do believe this. 
Reply/Quote
BRADY WAS A 6TH ROUNDER!!!! Someone had to say it.

I think someone else mentioned, my biggest fear is that if Finley doesn't completely crap the bed, the Bengals will announce that he is now the future and call it a day. This is where you need real professionals that can evaluate his potential as a future NFL QB, and not some 80 year old man thinking, "He looked OK to me."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 12:53 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Dalton Gang will critique Finley's every move and not even take into account the horrible line and other excuses they constantly crowed about when it came to Andy. The roles will be reversed and the Dalton Gang will become the Whinners they say they hate.It ain't gonna be pretty!!!

It's been ugly for 8 years lol it's not going to end even when dalton goes to another team. It's a 50/50 split war on the qb position in this fanbase. I think it's because Cincinnati hasnt won much. They hang their hats on 5 straight playoff appearances.  Other players that ruined games really gets shunned and turned on. But not dalton ,he still has half the fanbase who defend him hardcore. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:35 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: From what I see in mechanics and talent standpoint I really do believe this. 

Probably been that way for the last eight weeks. Lord I apologize. I just couldn't help it.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can almost guarantee that at some point Finley will throw a pick or lose a fumble.

At that point it will be interesting to see who blames the entire outcome of the game on that one single play even if it occurs in the middle of the first half.

The funny thing about Dalton was that he could make a lot of great plays, but none of them counted unless they were in the final seconds of a one score primetime game.  But if he made on bad throw in the first quarter of any game that one play was considered the only reason we lost.

Get over it Andy is dead to us now. Long live Ryan!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 02:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: BRADY WAS A 6TH ROUNDER!!!!  Someone had to say it.

I think someone else mentioned, my biggest fear is that if Finley doesn't completely crap the bed, the Bengals will announce that he is now the future and call it a day.  This is where you need real professionals that can evaluate his potential as a future NFL QB, and not some 80 year old man thinking, "He looked OK to me."

Then you take your consolation prize in Chase Young.

Finley plays decent next year and we still manage 4-5 wins and then are forced to draft a QB.  2021 is a pretty good class as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 01:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe Finley will be one of the top QBs in game winning drives in the 4th QTR.

Get over it. Andy is dead to us now. Long live Ryan!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 03:00 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Get over it Andy is dead to us now. Long live Ryan!!!!

My post was about Ryan

(11-01-2019, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can almost guarantee that at some point Finley will throw a pick or lose a fumble.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Backs it out of A J McCarron's garage.
I missed your posts more then any other poster when I was b*n for a month Fred. It is good to be back. WhoDey
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the worst outcome would be Finley being up and down the rest of this year but the Bengals thinking Finley can eventually develop into a starter and therefore not bother to take a QB early. To me, Finley has an 8-game tryout to knock it out of the park or a QB is being drafted early.
Say Finley does not work out and Dolegala but we still want to move on from Dalton. Do we pick our future Franchise QB and put him behind a bad O-line without a running game to speak of or do we fix the Oline and running game first? Then pick a QB the next year in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2019, 12:48 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Poor o-line and no run game. I think teams are gonna tee off on Finley and blitz the hell out of him. He does seem to have better pocket presence than Dalton but unless he is Lamar Jackson or Russel Wilson, no way he is escaping the heat that’s about to brought on him.

I agree I think we may see some flashes but I would also expect no less than 3 sacks a game with possible INT. They can shuffle any QB back there they want but until they address the o-line nothing will change.....NOTHING
This ^^^^.
Reply/Quote