Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ohio approves recreational marijuana
(11-09-2023, 02:48 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Even when it was just medically legal your employer could still fire you for a failed drug test.

Which to me seems like bullshit.

There is a large number of people who use marijuana responsibly. But they have no protection. They don’t even have to be under the influence. Get hurt at work. Fail a piss test. And end up in financial ruin with an injury sustained at work. The company gets off the hook.

On the other hand the person who was shit faced drunk the night prior and comes to work hungover and gets hurt. No problem. Company is on the hook for workers comp.

Not in all lines of work.  When I worked in the building trades, some job sites had safety inspectors.  If the SI smelled alcohol on a worker, or suspected that they may be under the influence, they asked that person to report to security and submit to a breathalyzer.  Hell, I've even seen people get sent home from the office if they reeked of alcohol from the night before.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2023, 02:09 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: There is a black market for alcohol?  Genuinely asking as alcohol is a drug.

Every once in a while you hear about a bar getting caught and fined for selling homemade wine. I had a close relative do 18 months in a federal prison for smuggling and selling Canadian cigarettes at the bar he was managing. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2023, 02:18 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: They do it’s called vaping, and you can get vape pens and many different flavors. If you don’t like the smoke, smell of Burnt flower, or vape—-then they have edibles. You can get them in soft drinks, sugar to stir into your coffee or tea, peanut butter, cookies, chocolate bars, and honey.

Yea, the people I know who smoke have been smoking it traditionally for so long, they don't care to try edibles or vaping. I was saying it would be nice if they could just genetically modify the flower itself to not smell so bad Tongue
Reply/Quote
It's good news even though I haven't smoked weed for years. I remember the bad old days when the law would toss you in the klink for years over a single roach in an ashtray.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sooo....are drug sniffing dogs in the union?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 02:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sooo....are drug sniffing dogs in the union?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are the dogs that specialized that they can only sniff out one type of drug?  Can't they just be cross-trained and transferred to another unit?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 02:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are the dogs that specialized that they can only sniff out one type of drug?  Can't they just be cross-trained and transferred to another unit?

Probably, but shouldn't we just play it safe and overturn the will of the people on this issue?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 03:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably, but shouldn't we just play it safe and overturn the will of the people on this issue?

Eh, I'm just waiting for the Fed to decriminalize the stuff, so that my employer will no longer be forced to participate in the drug free workplace program.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 04:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, I'm just waiting for the Fed to decriminalize the stuff, so that my employer will no longer be forced to participate in the drug free workplace program.

You and me both.  Ah well, I don't make the rules but until I feel like finding a new job I gotsta play by 'em.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 04:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, I'm just waiting for the Fed to decriminalize the stuff, so that my employer will no longer be forced to participate in the drug free workplace program.

We've only ever had one employee who had his medical card...and he quit not too long after his hiring.  It was a real question on how we were going to handle that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
I've heard some rumors that some of the Republican state reps may try to stifle the implementation of the issue. Idk if that's accurate, but it sounds like the party is quite divided on the issue. It would be beyond stupid to blatantly go against the clear will of the voters, but that doesn't mean they won't try. Dewine has always been very much against legalization for recreational use.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 05:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I've heard some rumors that some of the Republican state reps may try to stifle the implementation of the issue.  Idk if that's accurate, but it sounds like the party is quite divided on the issue.  It would be beyond stupid to blatantly go against the clear will of the voters, but that doesn't mean they won't try.  Dewine has always been very much against legalization for recreational use.

I thought about this the other day. I mean, I get that there has to be regulations, but let's not over regulate to the point you take away the freedom of the voter. Will not bode well with Republicans in Ohio. I think they under estimate the power of the voter, and the power of weed. Ohio is a swing state regardless of what some say.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 06:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I thought about this the other day. I mean, I get that there has to be regulations, but let's not over regulate to the point you take away the freedom of the voter. Will not bode well with Republicans in Ohio. I think they under estimate the power of the voter, and the power of weed. Ohio is a swing state regardless of what some say.

Meh, I'm skeptical.  The GOP's voters are so loyal to the R that they could blatantly overturn the will of the people and their voters would convince themselves it's for the best and keep them in power as soon as they have the chance.

Republican politicians outperform republican policies and democratic policies outperform democratic policies.  In this case the voters backed the liberal policy but the state will still back the conservative politicians who want to stifle or undo it.  It's totally by the bizarre book for Ohio to vote to legalize marijuana and then turn around and vote for conservative politicians who will undo exactly what they voted for.

Issue 1 and Issue 2 passed by 13+ points, but even if the GOP overturns both the state is going to Trump by 10+ points. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 06:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'm skeptical.  The GOP's voters are so loyal to the R that they could blatantly overturn the will of the people and their voters would convince themselves it's for the best and keep them in power as soon as they have the chance.

Republican politicians outperform republican policies and democratic policies outperform democratic policies.  In this case the voters backed the liberal policy but the state will still back the conservative politicians who want to stifle or undo it.  It's totally by the bizarre book for Ohio to vote to legalize marijuana and then turn around and vote for conservative politicians who will undo exactly what they voted for.

Issue 1 and Issue 2 passed by 13+ points, but even if the GOP overturns both the state is going to Trump by 10+ points. 

They might be loyal to the GOP, but they aren't always loyal to individual Republicans.  Paying a price due to thwarting the will of the voters doesn't necessarily mean losing to Dems in the next election.  It's much more likely that a right wing pro-weed candidate picks that kind of rep off in the primary season.  

TBH, there's probably not a shortage of that species of Republican.  Even in MAGA circles you have pro weed reps.  Gaetz is actually pretty outspoken about it.

In time, I believe pot legalization will prevail due to eventual lack of interest from opponents.  Anti-legalization is a really stupid political hill to die on.  The risk of looking out of touch is relatively high while the reward for going all-in against it is minimal.  Too much of the country is in favor of it and the cat is already out of the bag.  As with abortion and gambling, once state or federal governments get to the business of taking rights away or loosening regulations, voters start paying attention.   Not many people like government restricting their choices.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 02:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are the dogs that specialized that they can only sniff out one type of drug?  Can't they just be cross-trained and transferred to another unit?

It's nice to see more empathy for police sniffing dogs than for people who won't get paid during the next shutdown.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 01:34 PM)samhain Wrote:  Not many people like government restricting their choices.

No but many people like the government restricting the choices of others , so that's what we get. 

I recall a small bar in my red area PA hometown where they were all freedom this and 2A that. Then PA was voting on whether or not to let beer be sold at grocery stores and sheetz which would hurt their profits and guess what, suddenly they liked the idea of the government restricting things and wanted people to vote against that freedom. 

Funny how that works.  
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 05:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I've heard some rumors that some of the Republican state reps may try to stifle the implementation of the issue.  Idk if that's accurate, but it sounds like the party is quite divided on the issue.  It would be beyond stupid to blatantly go against the clear will of the voters, but that doesn't mean they won't try.  Dewine has always been very much against legalization for recreational use.

One would hope that they would treat it similarly to alcohol, in terms of regulation and enforcement.   

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 08:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One would hope that they would treat it similarly to alcohol, in terms of regulation and enforcement.   

I heard they have a device almost done that can measure your weed impairment like alcohol.  And I agree, this is the way to go, as are all legal states.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote

Didn't they do that?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 09:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Didn't they do that?  

No, there has been talk of taking marijuana off of the schedule I list, but that wouldn't fix the issue completely.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote