Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Oil
Biden is announcing a ban on Russian oil today. Current price of Brent is $132 with an all-time high of $147. I have to imagine we are going to blow through the all-time high with the way things have been trending.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 12:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Biden is announcing a ban on Russian oil today. Current price of Brent is $132 with an all-time high of $147. I have to imagine we are going to blow through the all-time high with the way things have been trending.

Possibly. I think it will all depend on the content of the speech. If we are completely cutting off oil and gas, then yes. Please, please, please don't replace it with more dirty oil from other corrupt countries.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 12:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Possibly. I think it will all depend on the content of the speech. If we are completely cutting off oil and gas, then yes. Please, please, please don't replace it with more dirty oil from other corrupt countries.

Watching the announcement now, all Russian oil and gas has been cut off. 
Reply/Quote
This doesn't really change anything for us. The reason gas prices went so high was because the fossil fuel companies themselves had a self-imposed ban on buying Russian oil even though the government didn't put that embargo in place.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Gas/diesel only going to go higher with everything else to go up with it. Begging Saudi Arabia & Venezuela to make up the difference and possibly Iran in the near future. What a leader. Rant
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 01:45 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Gas/diesel only going to go higher with everything else to go up with it. Begging Saudi Arabia & Venezuela to make up the difference and possibly Iran in the near future. What a leader. Rant

Again, the oil companies had already implemented a self-imposed embargo on Russian oil. This doesn't change anything and any price increases from this move are purely based on the market screwing folks over.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Again, the oil companies had already implemented a self-imposed embargo on Russian oil. This doesn't change anything and any price increases from this move are purely based on the market screwing folks over.

I know that I read too. 

Do you support his decision to turn to these bad actors instead of at least trying to ramp up our own production? 
Reply/Quote
Improving relations with Venezuela could be huge. Could really be a win-win for both.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:12 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I know that I read too. 

Do you support his decision to turn to these bad actors instead of at least trying to ramp up our own production? 

I too believe we should nationalize oil and gas companies so the POTUS can control all production.
Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:20 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Improving relations with Venezuela could be huge. Could really be a win-win for both.

We do sort of owe them for rigging the 2020 election, and all.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: I too believe we should nationalize oil and gas companies so the POTUS can control all production.
Mellow

Nobody said that & you know it. 

I pose the same question to you.

Do you support his decision to turn to these bad actors instead of at least trying to ramp up our own production?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:22 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Nobody said that & you know it. 

I propose that we pretend the increase in gas prices is student loan debt or medical debt and simply laugh at the people who are subject to it.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I propose that we pretend the increase in gas prices is student loan debt or medical debt and simply laugh at the people who are subject to it.

Looks like it's easier to deflect than to give an honest answer. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:26 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Easier to deflect than to give an honest answer. 

There are no answers, here....as David Gilmour once sang.  I've pointed out before that my interest in politics is of the social/psychological aspect.  Our society is so gloriously inconsistent on this stuff.  We have spent the past 40+ years repeating the manta that financial inadequacy is a choice of the lazy and wasteful, but we also seem inordinately eager to declare ourselves victims of gas pricing increases.

That's not even to mention the american auto industry being saved through a marketing push to bootstrap fuel efficiency with homosexuality.  Oy...our country is just a veritable buffet for the cynical onlooker.  Sometimes I almost can't handle it.
Reply/Quote
That in itself speaks volumes.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:37 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: That in itself speaks volumes.

Me admitting that I'm a cynical schadenfreude junkie who has given up on solutions and merely indulges his semi-intellectual self-loathing, or the part about oil?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:22 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Nobody said that & you know it. 

Do you support his decision to turn to these bad actors instead of at least trying to ramp up our own production?

You explain to me how the POTUS will "ramp up our own production" first.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Now here's a good idea: https://thepoliticalinsider.com/canada-to-the-rescue-alberta-officials-say-they-can-fill-the-russian-oil-void-as-gas-prices-skyrocket/?fbclid=IwAR2Mxd1VHIhQLUF7KEfKjwXP-lEEeYqXAnEoleg4oOnZTNKSzJeGerDgenM

Getting oil from Canada. We don't have to feel guilty about that move. Screw Iran, Saudi, Venezuela, and Russia.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We do sort of owe them for rigging the 2020 election, and all.

It's a good opportunity to try and re-establish good faith relations with Cuba and Venezuela. Russia needs to be as isolated as possible while Putin still breaths.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 02:12 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I know that I read too. 

(03-08-2022, 02:20 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Improving relations with Venezuela could be huge. Could really be a win-win for both.

That is actually a very valid point. Opening up oil trade with Venezuela isn't just about getting oil. It's an opportunity to undermine Russian (and Chinese) influence in the western hemisphere. It's a good opportunity to get into. Saudi Arabia is never a country I am fond of doing business with, but when it comes to places from which to get oil it isn't too bad. And then we have the possibility of Iran, which is another situation like Venezuela where we have burned some diplomatic bridges there and using this as a tool to improve those relations can be good.

I'm going to be frank with you, the US is a pretty bad actor in a lot of ways. I want our country to have peaceful relations with other nations, and diplomacy done through trade deals like this is one way that happens.

Reply/Quote