Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Oil
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/john-kerry-we-have-to-push-back-hard-on-efforts-to-build-new-fossil-fuel-infrastructure-in-response-to-rising-gas-prices/ar-AAYbtWU?bk=1&bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7f98ccb795604a0798a41f25f4a1cabe

These people need to be sent packing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 10:53 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/john-kerry-we-have-to-push-back-hard-on-efforts-to-build-new-fossil-fuel-infrastructure-in-response-to-rising-gas-prices/ar-AAYbtWU?bk=1&bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7f98ccb795604a0798a41f25f4a1cabe

These people need to be sent packing.

Link is dead (for me at least), so I'm not sure which people you mean.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea that oil is going to cost a lot more everywhere, it might be a good time to change our energetic manners. Time to find something else. I'm pretty sure we didn't even try seriously yet.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 05:43 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I like the idea that oil is going to cost a lot more everywhere, it might be a good time to change our energetic manners. Time to find something else. I'm pretty sure we didn't even try seriously yet.
Problem is that consumers pay the costs of high oil.  The much larger problems are renewable construction, ancient infrastructure and collapsing power grids.  Companies and govt's have to pay for those, not consumers.

Depends on your definition of seriously.  There are lots of HUGE wind and solar projects starting or already moving that no one talks about.

Examples:  There's a massive solar project getting off the ground well inland of Corpus Christi Texas, out in the desert.  Well inland (like 200 miles inland) to mitigate the effects of a rare hurricane like Harvey.  

Also there have been huge lease sales for WIND projects off of New England and the Carolinas.  Like massive areas, and they garnered huge bonus of billions of dollars just for the rights to build wind farms.

I know about these projects because my company (TotalEnergies) is involved and the primary operator and financier, there there are multitudes of others. 

Carolina - https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-kick-off-latest-offshore-wind-auction-carolina-coast-2022-05-11/#:~:text=N)%20each%20won%20offshore%20wind,and%20TotalEnergies%20at%20%24160%20million.

New England - https://totalenergies.com/media/news/press-releases/TotalEnergies-wins-a-lease-to-develop-a-3-GW-offshore-wind-farm-in-the-US

We actually have people moving from our groups in exploration and production to work on these projects.  They are real and believe me TotalEnergies will make theirs happen.

However, there are two main problems that gov't are ignoring and they are larger than any other issues.  Sustainability.  Like it or hate it, HCs provide almost un-erring sustainability.  The UK found much to it's dismay that if they have a wind drought, they are in trouble.  They had to start up coal plants last winter when their wind estimates were 60% below normal.  They had no sustainability plan.  The same thing happen in Texas during the freeze of 2021.  The windmills froze up, power usage spiked due ot the cold and the combination collapsed the whole grid.

But the biggest problem with an EV future is our aging and collapsing power grid, which no one is doing anything about.   But we've discussed this in this thread already so not rehashing here.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 05:43 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I like the idea that oil is going to cost a lot more everywhere, it might be a good time to change our energetic manners. Time to find something else. I'm pretty sure we didn't even try seriously yet.

We have plenty of people here who think the same way.  And if the people who say these things then get control of the government and this exact things happens, then you are going to take the blame regardless of whether it's deserved or not.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

What you're talking about is a 2 decade MINIMUM undertaking. If they decided to switch to any alternative energy source, they'd have to completely re-draw power lines, supply chains, distribution, etc. Etc. Etc. It's not a snap of the fingers.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 04:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: What you're talking about is a 2 decade MINIMUM undertaking. If they decided to switch to any alternative energy source, they'd have to completely re-draw power lines, supply chains, distribution, etc. Etc. Etc. It's not a snap of the fingers.

Someone probably should have told the current administration this. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:09 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Someone probably should have told the current administration this. 

Where did they say we're going to renewables next week?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:18 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Where did they say we're going to renewables next week?

Who said next week ? But if I remember, there was a executive order about at least 50% non-emission vehicles by 2030. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Who said next week ? But if I remember, there was a executive order about at least 50% non-emission vehicles by 2030. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vehicles are an easier task. I'm talking the energy grid.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 09:29 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Vehicles are an easier task. I'm talking the energy grid.

No need to tell me about that. I worked in the electric generation & transmission industry for almost 40 years. 

Our portfolio included coal, natural gas & solar supplying power to millions. So this is right down my alley so to speak.

The future is electric. But it can't be implemented overnight.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 08:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Who said next week ? But if I remember, there was a executive order about at least 50% non-emission vehicles by 2030. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct, but one caveat here. The goal was to have 50% of vehicles sold to be electric by 2030, not 50% of vehicles OTR. I know that isn't what you explicitly said, but I just wanted to provide some clarification. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 10:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is correct, but one caveat here. The goal was to have 50% of vehicles sold to be electric by 2030, not 50% of vehicles OTR. I know that isn't what you explicitly said, but I just wanted to provide some clarification. 

I understand that. I vaguely remembered the directive only because I was familiar with the infrastructure needs.

I'm curious how many public charging stations are in everyone's area at this point. 

To my knowledge there are none in my county. Rural area with close to 20,000 residents.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 11:23 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'm curious how many public charging stations are in everyone's area at this point. 

Not enough.  You have hit upon the BIG problem.  Our ignorant govt, issues an order to cure the symptom and not the problem.  Infrastructure is the problem for an EV future, and ordering more EV's get sold only worsens THAT problem, which is the REAL problem.  The power grid is ancient and failing as we speak.  As we move closer and closer to an EV future it will only become more strained by temperature extremes and more EV's.  It's like giving a drowning man sea water to quench his thirst.  Sounds like it will fix the problem, but actually is disastrous.

All:
The infrastructure problem has been discussed in great detail in previous posts in this thread.  Scroll back for more details.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 10:44 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  No need to tell me about that. I worked in the electric generation & transmission industry for almost 40 years. 

Our portfolio included coal, natural gas & solar supplying power to millions. So this is right down my alley so to speak.

The future is electric. But it can't be implemented overnight.

We’ll then you should have planned for the future a long time ago. You can’t complain about the inevitability when you had the opportunity to prepare. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps.

All these geriatric republicans bitching about gas prices on their IPhones… should have prioritized appropriately
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 08:20 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: We’ll then you should have planned for the future a long time ago.  You can’t complain about the inevitability when you had the opportunity to prepare.  Pull yourself up by the bootstraps.  

All these geriatric republicans bitching about gas prices on their IPhones…  should have prioritized appropriately

Retired now but thanks for your valuable input. Maybe you young guys should put down your phone, get out there & get the work done to get us to that future before flipping the switch from what got us to this point. I realize that's a novel idea in the current age.

By the way I'm an independent on a desktop PC.   Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2022, 07:56 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  Retired now but thanks for your valuable input. Maybe you young guys should put down your phone, get out there & get the work done to get us to that future before flipping the switch from what got us to this point. I realize that's a novel idea in the current age.

By the way I'm an independent on a desktop PC.   Rock On

Blame the younger generations for not doing things that should've been done 2 generations ago.

I don't wanna make assumptions about your age since I know people who retired before 40, but what a Boomer ass thing to do.
Reply/Quote
Some context for everyone pointing generational fingers.

To be fair, two generations ago (40 years) the concern wasn't infrastructure, but availability of O&G. Back in the 80's the thoughts on the matter were that by the 2020's we'd be nearly OUT of oil worldwide. Thus the strong 70-80's push toward nuclear.....until Chernobyl and 3 mile island.
Reply/Quote
Below is a fantastic article. Comprehensive analysis of our current day issues with the power grid. This article covers everything I've been saying and more, as there are quotes from federal regulators, green groups and renewables advocates.

Our infrastructure is falling apart
No one is improving it
The President can't do anything about it except provide incentives.
Politics are a choke chain to improvements
To meet Biden 2035 and 2050 EV sales goals will require a 50% expansion of the power grid that is already taxed BEYOND capacity.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-renewables-electric-grid/
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2022, 03:20 PM)Stewy Wrote: Below is a fantastic article.  Comprehensive analysis of our current day issues with the power grid.  This article covers everything I've been saying and more, as there are quotes from federal regulators, green groups and renewables advocates.  

Our infrastructure is falling apart
No one is improving it
The President can't do anything about it except provide incentives.
Politics are a choke chain to improvements
To meet Biden 2035 and 2050 EV sales goals will require a 50% expansion of the power grid that is already taxed BEYOND capacity.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-renewables-electric-grid/

You skipped the good news.  Of the $1 trillion that will be needed, $2.5 billion has been allocated.  And I see "Rover to Mars" has replaced "man on the moon".
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote