Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Okay, This is Unsettling
(12-25-2020, 02:07 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Disagree.  

Did Marvin ever game plan for anything or demand any discipline? 

He has a lot of wins for someone who didn’t game plan...

Now, you can certainly criticize his in game adjustments (especially 2nd half), but ZT has had those same issues.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has a lot of wins for someone who didn’t game plan...

Now, you can certainly criticize his in game adjustments (especially 2nd half), but ZT has had those same issues.

Look at '09...........   he just ran the ball into the ground over and over again.

I would love to see an example of his game planning...... other than '09, which was a horrible job of game planning.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Look at '09...........   he just ran the ball into the ground over and over again.

I would love to see an example of his game planning...... other than '09, which was a horrible job of game planning.

So how did he have 7 winning seasons? Lots of luck?

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So how did he have 7 winning seasons? Lots of luck?

Talent.  Palmer, mostly.

Like I said, show me an example of his game planning.  Why would his in-game adjustments suck if he could game plan to beat anyone?  You don't think they're related?
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So how did he have 7 winning seasons? Lots of luck?

Good coordinators
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 04:56 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... Would could've gotten a head start on winning 2-3 games a year with Taylor.

It very likely would have been someone else
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 10:21 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It very likely would have been someone else

It was kinda a joke, but I'm not sure they would've made a great hire back then either. They've only gotten it right once in 30 years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:00 AM)jason Wrote: It was kinda a joke, but I'm not sure they would've made a great hire back then either. They've only gotten it right once in 30 years.

Fair point.

I don’t really remember the hiring options after 2017. I can’t recall anyone who really stood out, and despite the rumors I didn’t really buy for one second that Marvin was leaving.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 10:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Talent.  Palmer, mostly.

Like I said, show me an example of his game planning.  Why would his in-game adjustments suck if he could game plan to beat anyone?  You don't think they're related?

Palmer, mostly? Palmer had two winning seasons. How does that equate to mostly of seven winning seasons?
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:27 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Fair point.

I don’t really remember the hiring options after 2017. I can’t recall anyone who really stood out, and despite the rumors I didn’t really buy for one second that Marvin was leaving.

I think that's when the 49ers got Shannahan... That wouldn't have hurt my feelings.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:29 AM)jason Wrote: I think that's when the 49ers got Shannahan... That wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

2017 was his first year. We could have had Frank Reich in 2018 though...

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Look at '09...........   he just ran the ball into the ground over and over again.

I'd be thrilled with Burrow handing the ball off constantly to Mixon if we swept the division, and make the playoffs... I seem to remember more than zero game winning drives and TD passes from 2009 as well.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 04:52 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: I thought that the other day.  Glad I’m not that crazy.

No team is going to throw a game just to keep a bad coach on a team. You never know what a team will do in any offseason, so your effort would be for naught. 

Not only that, Pitt is/was trying for the #1 seed in the AFC.

There's no way in hell they lost that game on purpose. No shot, bucko. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:07 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Disagree.  

Did Marvin ever game plan for anything or demand any discipline? 

Yes, he did.

Also, the most important thing is record. And through their first 30 games...
Marvin Lewis = 14-16
Zac Taylor = 5-24-1
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, he did.

Marvin Lewis = 14-16
Zac Taylor = 5-24-1

It's hilarious that some people think Marvin won games without gameplanning.

The year BEFORE Marvin got here, we won 2 games too. The 2 years after, 14-16.

The year BEFORE Zac got here, we won 6 games. The 2 years after, 5-24-1 so far.

But, I guess Zac is just some great gameplanner and Marvin wasn't.

Reality is Marvin was a good regular season coach, and just couldn't get the team over the top against great coaches. He was maybe a top 10-12 coach in the NFL though. A bad coach here wouldn't take this team to the playoffs 7 times. A bad coach would win 2-3 games with this team...as literally EVERY other coach under MB did at some point.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 03:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hilarious that some people think Marvin won games without gameplanning.

The year BEFORE Marvin got here, we won 2 games too. The 2 years after, 14-16.

The year BEFORE Zac got here, we won 6 games. The 2 years after, 5-24-1 so far.

But, I guess Zac is just some great gameplanner and Marvin wasn't.

Reality is Marvin was a good regular season coach, and just couldn't get the team over the top against great coaches. He was maybe a top 10-12 coach in the NFL though. A bad coach here wouldn't take this team to the playoffs 7 times. A bad coach would win 2-3 games with this team...as literally EVERY other coach under MB did at some point.

If Marvin wasn't gameplanning and went 14-16 in his first 30 games (also won the last two games of his second season) but Taylor was gameplanning and only won 5 games, that just says how much better Marvin is/was compared to Taylor.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, he did.

Marvin Lewis = 14-16
Zac Taylor = 5-24-1

Still looking for an example of effective game planning.  

If he had been an effective game planner, why did he have the same game plan every game in '09?

As for discipline, are you serious?  Look at all of our players that were in trouble with the law.  You think that they would have been in all that trouble if the boss had demanded discipline at work or made them fear for their jobs?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 04:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Still looking for an example of effective game planning.  

If he had been an effective game planner, why did he have the same game plan every game in '09?

As for discipline, are you serious?  Look at all of our players that were in trouble with the law.  You think that they would have been in all that trouble if the boss had demanded discipline at work or made them fear for their jobs?

1) What is your definition of "effective game planning?" Is it beating a good team? Is it halftime adjustments? Is it changing playcalling from one week to another? I'll be able to give you an example once I understand your definition.

2) You and I both know full well the issues with the law greatly reduced in the late 2000's and through the 2010's. Don't bring that old image back that hasn't existed for over a decade aside from Adam Jones.

3) Regardless of what Marvin did or didn't do, he won nearly triple the amount that Taylor has in his first two seasons. Taylor can "gameplan" all he wants and bench starters all he wants, but until it results in a winning record, it's not really an accomplishment over what Marvin was able to do with the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 10:21 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Good coordinators

Well I mean Zac could have good coordinators too...if he wasnt one...and if anyone qualified would work for him.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 07:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) What is your definition of "effective game planning?" Is it beating a good team? Is it halftime adjustments? Is it changing playcalling from one week to another? I'll be able to give you an example once I understand your definition.

2) You and I both know full well the issues with the law greatly reduced in the late 2000's and through the 2010's. Don't bring that old image back that hasn't existed for over a decade aside from Adam Jones.

3) Regardless of what Marvin did or didn't do, he won nearly triple the amount that Taylor has in his first two seasons. Taylor can "gameplan" all he wants and bench starters all he wants, but until it results in a winning record, it's not really an accomplishment over what Marvin was able to do with the Bengals.

Yep. It's ridiculous to say Marvin didnt gameplan.

The Taylor gameplan? Chuck it 40+ times a game...even in a windstorm in Pittsburgh. Unless Finley, the guy they traded up to get is starting...because his arm is bad.
Reply/Quote