Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oline combinations
Here’s the second string from today’s practice, very interesting combo:

“The second offensive line in front of quarterback Ryan Finley has Billy Price at left guard and Fred Johnson at left tackle with undrafted free agent Josh Knipfel at center, first-year O'Shea Dugas moving from tackle to right guard and sixth-round pick Hakeem Adeniji at right tackle.“

I like seeing Dugas getting some reps at OG. I think he fits better than than OT.
Reply/Quote
I see all sorts of possibilities for our starting O-line. Especially at RG. Su'a-Filo is penciled in right now, but I would not be surprised to see someone else end up starting there. Johnson was playing OG for the Steelers. The Giants drafted Bobby Hart to play OG. I think even Price still has a shot to start.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote:  undrafted free agent Josh Knipfel at center,

I am guessing that Price is still the #1 back up at OC, but right now they want to see more of what he can do at OG.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am guessing that Price is still the #1 back up at OC, but right now they want to see more of what he can do at OG.

That’s what happened Tuesday, Price was second string center. I had been wondering who else on the roster could play center. This is the first name I’ve seen other than Hopkins or Price.
Reply/Quote
It would be interesting if Hakeem Adeniji made a run for the staring RT gig Hart is replaceable and all the hype has been about how well Fred Johnson played last year. Turner stated he had a 2nd round grade on Adeniji and draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah praised the pick after the draft. Maybe Fred Johnson and Adeniji both wins jobs on the o-line at guard and tackle.
Reply/Quote
I just think with no preseason games the team is going to go with the safest roster possible to start the season. Burrow will be the only rookie starting week 1. They want him to be as comfortable and get as many snaps as possible with the same 10 players starting. What you see now with the oline is what you'll see week 1. As the season goes on and veterans are struggling then u make some changes. Think 7 or 8 lineman will be active week 1. Price will backup G-C-G and Johnson will backup LT-RT.
Reply/Quote
Better question is, how is Finley our 2nd string QB still?

We saw what he did last year, give Jake D a run at the spot or the Allen kid
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:30 PM)lone bengal Wrote: It would be interesting if Hakeem Adeniji made a run for the staring RT gig Hart is replaceable and all the hype has been about how well Fred Johnson played last year. Turner stated he had a 2nd round grade on Adeniji and draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah praised the pick after the draft. Maybe Fred Johnson and Adeniji both wins jobs on the o-line  at guard and tackle.

I think they could, but I doubt it happens by Week 1.
Probably more realistic in the back half of the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s what happened Tuesday, Price was second string center. I had been wondering who else on the roster could play center. This is the first name I’ve seen other than Hopkins or Price.

Michael Jordan played Center as well, but I think he is pretty entrenched at LG.  Emergency 3rd center, maybe.  
Reply/Quote
Dugas is/was ahead of Redmond?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:43 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Dugas is/was ahead of Redmond?

Interesting point.

When you look at veteran free agent contracts we paid Redmond ($2.13M) half a million dollars more than Josh Bynes ($1.6M)  and pretty much the same as Su'a-Filo ($2.27M).
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Michael Jordan played Center as well, but I think he is pretty entrenched at LG.  Emergency 3rd center, maybe.  

He needs every snap he can get at OG.

It is great to have versatile O-linemen that can play multiple positions, but Jordan needs to master one first.
Reply/Quote

(08-21-2020, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting point.

When you look at veteran free agent contracts we paid Redmond ($2.13M) half a million dollars more than Josh Bynes ($1.6M)  and pretty much the same as Su'a-Filo ($2.27M).

I've seen enough of Redmond to put any lineman on the roster ahead of him. Seriously though, is he even healthy? Wasn't he put on some injury list at the beginning of camp? I'm trying not to read too much into which team the guys are lining up with yet. I guess Turner is notorious for swapping guys al over the place for the first couple weeks of camp, did it at Miami, did it at A&M.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:16 AM)corpjet Wrote: Better question is, how is Finley our 2nd string QB still?

2nd string practice QB doesn’t need to be a gamer. He needs to understand the offensive Concepts and keep the practice moving along. Perhaps Finley has skills in those areas.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:23 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 2nd string practice QB doesn’t need to be a gamer. He needs to understand the offensive Concepts and keep the practice moving along. Perhaps Finley has skills in those areas.

Did you watch his performances last year??
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

Redmond is on the IR.  He's still rehabbing from the torn bicep that ended his season, last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:23 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: 2nd string practice QB doesn’t need to be a gamer. He needs to understand the offensive Concepts and keep the practice moving along. Perhaps Finley has skills in those areas.

I'm hoping you meant to emphasize "practice" in this, as the backup QB needs to do more than just understand offensive concepts and keep practice moving along. Backup needs to be able to come in periodically to do enough to help get the team a win (or wins if multiple games) if/when the starter is not out there.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 04:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Here’s the second string from today’s practice, very interesting combo:

“The second offensive line in front of quarterback Ryan Finley has Billy Price at left guard and Fred Johnson at left tackle with undrafted free agent Josh Knipfel at center, first-year O'Shea Dugas moving from tackle to right guard and sixth-round pick Hakeem Adeniji at right tackle.“

I like seeing Dugas getting some reps at OG. I think he fits better than than OT.

Interesting, didn't know Knipfel could play Center, that is cool. I liked grabbing up this guy, thought he looked more than 
decent at Iowa State watching his tape. I think Adeniji could push Hart at RT or even XSF at RG, he looked THAT good to 
me watching his tape and he is extremely smart. Price at LG is different, did not expect that.

Glad FJ is versatile as well, sounds like we have some versatile players on the Line. Hope this area and LB improve big time
as this would help this team more than anything but coaching improving.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:16 AM)corpjet Wrote: Better question is, how is Finley our 2nd string QB still?

Agreed, we have seen what Finley can do and it is nothing special at least Dolegala has a big arm.
Reply/Quote

Seems folks are willing to write everything off in 2019 as a bad season except Finley. I wished we'd have secured a vet as QB 2, but I'm not willing to write Finley off as a back up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote