Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oline hopes.
(08-08-2017, 10:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I did see where Trey Hopkins played all 3 interior Oline positions during the scrimmage. Hopefully that is good insurance and can allow Andre to move outside if required.

For all the shit folks talk about PA, he did show that he will pull you if you continue to underperform; as he pulled Ced last year.

......after he essentially deep sixed our season.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good point, although I'd say the Seahawks had a pretty good offense.  I'm not sure our defense is overwhelming, but we will see soon enough.

The Seahawks offense wasn't that great in 2013. The defense put their offense in insane field position (20% of drives ended up in a turnover vs the Seahawks in 2013), and 150 of their 417 points was "expected points from defense" (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm). For reference the 2nd place team in the "expected points from defense" was 93, and the 3rd place was 78. The Seahawks were 8th in points scored, but considering how much their defense helped with that I wouldn't say that they were the 8th best offense. They were 18th in yards. I don't think they had a bad offense, but I would consider them average. Their run game was on point though.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 11:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Seahawks offense wasn't that great in 2013. The defense put their offense in insane field position (20% of drives ended up in a turnover vs the Seahawks in 2013), and 150 of their 417 points was "expected points from defense" (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm). For reference the 2nd place team in the "expected points from defense" was 93, and the 3rd place was 78. The Seahawks were 8th in points scored, but considering how much their defense helped with that I wouldn't say that they were the 8th best offense. They were 18th in yards. I don't think they had a bad offense, but I would consider them average. Their run game was on point though.

I should have clarified that.....Beast Mode.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 10:44 AM)Earendil Wrote: I just wish it hadn't been 10 games too late.

Me too. But sometimes you got to dance with the one that brought you.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 05:27 AM)McC Wrote: Last year's dead and gone.  Get over it.  Dare to believe.

Believe what?  Are we allowed to be hopeful based on the past?
Reply/Quote
Coming out of college, it seemed like Fischer and Ogbuehi were better pass blockers than they were run blockers. I always thought their issue would be the run game. And If Andre is a former OT he should be fine at pass blocking at the RG spot.

So if it is true, that our run blocking is good; we ought to be encouraged about their ability to be a good OL overall. Hearing that the run blocking is good is VERY good news to my ears. I hope they can get it together because this offense is going to be great if they can.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 02:11 AM)Jpoore Wrote: So we all know our oline has been inconsistent. But run blocking has seemed prett good overall. I really want see if our dline has just improved that much or if our oline is just that bad. We will see quickly in week 1. thays what I'm waiting forward to see. Is Lawson that god/ogbuehi that bad, etc. etc. if our oline holds up against Tampa bay team 1s it will be very encouraging.

I think Lawson is just that good, but I hope that Ogbuehi picks it up and plays really well, as does Fisher, because that's our one question mark.

I'm excited to see them perform against Tampa Bay.  It could ease my mind for a week.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 08:20 PM)McC Wrote: Acting like a bunch of scared little bitches.  Grow a pair and have a little faith.  This is an eleven to thirteen win team.  How can anyone not see this?

I see the same thing, Og and Fisher will be much better this year and they are the main concern.

As Sunset says even if they struggle our Defense should be formidable.

I see 11 wins if the O-line struggles, 13 wins if they are decent.

(08-07-2017, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, it is.  People forget that our defense is formidable, our Special Teams are generally effective, and the offense should have plenty of 'One play score, ability".   This team has the ability to be very much like the 2000 Ravens team that won a ton of boring games, but just smothered their competition.

Yes, much better red zone targets as well this year with Ross, Mixon and healthy Eifert and AJ...

We should be better Offensively and much better Defensively and could of won 3 or 4 more games last year if the Kickers didn't choke.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 12:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I see the same thing, Og and Fisher will be much better this year and they are the main concern.

As Sunset says even if they struggle our Defense should be formidable.

I see 11 wins if the O-line struggles, 13 wins if they are decent.

Yes, much better red zone targets as well this year with Ross, Mixon and healthy Eifert and AJ...

We should be better Offensively and much better Defensively and could of won 3 or 4 more games last year if the Kickers didn't choke.

Sure, we need a clutch kicker, but it was more than just that.  The Bengals lost 6 one-score games last year.  Defense, despite having a sluggish 1st half of the season, still kept the team within striking distance in most every game.  Having the benefit of the additional big play talent should keep opposing defenses honest enough to give the rushing attack at least a fighting chance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, we need a clutch kicker, but it was more than just that.  The Bengals lost 6 one-score games last year.  Defense, despite having a sluggish 1st half of the season, still kept the team within striking distance in most every game.  Having the benefit of the additional big play talent should keep opposing defenses honest enough to give the rushing attack at least a fighting chance.

Yeah...I think the offense will have a new dynamic. Hopefully the OC is resourceful enough to use it.

I expect some 3 and 4 WR sets where Dalton gets the ball out quickly to the slot guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, we need a clutch kicker, but it was more than just that.  The Bengals lost 6 one-score games last year.  Defense, despite having a sluggish 1st half of the season, still kept the team within striking distance in most every game.  Having the benefit of the additional big play talent should keep opposing defenses honest enough to give the rushing attack at least a fighting chance.

All true, plus having AJ and Eifert healthy should really help to strike when we have those chances you speak of this year.

Not holding my breath with Eifert staying healthy all season but if he could even play 10 or so games we will score much
more points than last season. Not even mentioning AJ being healthy and the speed Ross brings and the vision and everything
else good ole Mixon brings.

Also i must add that our TE's as a whole were all hurt last year at some point and are all healthy now. This should help out
Og and Fisher big time having an extra blocker. Kroft from all accounts looks great in both blocking and in the passing game
right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, plus having AJ and Eifert healthy should really help to strike when we have those chances you speak of this year.

Not holding my breath with Eifert staying healthy all season but if he could even play 10 or so games we will score much
more points than last season. Not even mentioning AJ being healthy and the speed Ross brings and the vision and everything

Also i must add that our TE's as a whole were all hurt last year at some point and are all healthy now. This should help out
Og and Fisher big time having an extra blocker. Kroft from all accounts looks great in both blocking and in the passing game
right now.

Is Uzomah better?  I thought he sprained his ankle this week?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, plus having AJ and Eifert healthy should really help to strike when we have those chances you speak of this year.

right now.

I honestly believe that the offensive is going to be explosive. I don't want to use the term crappy or garbage line we had last year but you were not going to win very many games without any weapons outside. Even so, we did come close at times but people want to dog Dalton for not being a leader, yet he kept us in most game without seasoned players. 
Also think Eifert stays healthy and is going to be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is Uzomah better?  I thought he sprained his ankle this week?

Sorry about that, relatively healthy. All of our TE's were banged up last year though. You could definately tell it with Kroft.

Then i believe you are someone else told me that Hewitt was banged up all last year which made sense as i believe he is a
real versatile threat in both the run and passing game. Made no sense to put him on the bench when he was in we were
significantly better in the run game when he was in. Him being injured makes sense. It was just kept pretty hush hush.

(08-11-2017, 01:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I honestly believe that the offensive is going to be explosive. I don't want to use the term crappy or garbage line we had last year but you were not going to win very many games without any weapons outside. Even so, we did come close at times but people want to dog Dalton for not being a leader, yet he kept us in most game without seasoned players. 
Also think Eifert stays healthy and is going to be unstoppable.

Your weapons definately have to get seperation to help out the O-line and the QB. We weren't getting much of that
last year either you are correct. No one should be dogging on Dalton for last year, he did all he could considering.

Pray Eifert can stay healthy, such a gamechanger. But look out, if he stays healthy all year he could score 15+ TD's
and be too damn expensive to bring back.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sorry about that, relatively healthy. All of our TE's were banged up last year though. You could definately tell it with Kroft.

Then i believe you are someone else told me that Hewitt was banged up all last year which made sense as i believe he is a
real versatile threat in both the run and passing game. Made no sense to put him on the bench when he was in we were
significantly better in the run game when he was in. Him being injured makes sense. It was just kept pretty hush hush.

Your weapons definately have to get seperation to help out the O-line and the QB. We weren't getting much of that
last year either you are correct. No one should be dogging on Dalton for last year, he did all he could considering.

Pray Eifert can stay healthy, such a gamechanger. But look out, if he stays healthy all year he could score 15+ TD's
and be too damn expensive to bring back.

With a healthy Eifert and Hewitt in the game, so many options open up.  Just by diversifying the play calling a bit, they can be both ball control or quick strike, with the same personnel group in the game.  For example;  If the running game is getting any movement, whatsoever, the simple play fake should leave a huge hole right behind the LBs, as they should be sending AJ and Boyd/Ross deep, taking the CBs with them.  That should leave Eifert and RB open to catch the ball in stride, 10/10 times, with only single coverage from a Safety. If the Safeties get hip, and start cheating up? Boom, home run ball to AJ Green.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Brandon Albert was released. He sounds like a nut case, but we can't go into the season with no backup at LT. Even if Ced comes through for us he's still an injury risk. And if he goes down the season is over.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With a healthy Eifert and Hewitt in the game, so many options open up.  Just by diversifying the play calling a bit, they can be both ball control or quick strike, with the same personnel group in the game.  For example;  If the running game is getting any movement, whatsoever, the simple play fake should leave a huge hole right behind the LBs, as they should be sending AJ and Boyd/Ross deep, taking the CBs with them.  That should leave Eifert and RB open to catch the ball in stride, 10/10 times, with only single coverage from a Safety.  If the Safeties get hip, and start cheating up?  Boom, home run ball to AJ Green.

Yeah baby. Plus as you and i have mentioned the middle TE screen always seems to work.

Can use this with either Eifert or Hewitt.

(08-11-2017, 05:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: Brandon Albert was released. He sounds like a nut case, but we can't go into the season with no backup at LT. Even if Ced comes through for us he's still an injury risk. And if he goes down the season is over.

Landon Lechler big #77 is our backup LT right now and has opened some eyes this camp.

This guy just dominated in college at North Dakota State and went undrafted simply cause of the small school.

Same size as Whit too with the same number obviously. Was surprised this guy went undrafted and we picked him up.

Pleasantly surprised. Might be an underdog for us. We have done very well with UDFA's in the past...

Burfict, Hewitt, Vinny Rey etc.

PA wasn't the coach of any of these guys tho. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 09:49 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: #70 might be the worst lineman I've ever seen on the bengals.   Looks lost n soft as hell.  My hope is gone the min i see him on the field

A lot can change in a year.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: Brandon Albert was released. He sounds like a nut case, but we can't go into the season with no backup at LT. Even if Ced comes through for us he's still an injury risk. And if he goes down the season is over.

I'd take that risk, as our primary backup at LT is currently Landon Lechler.  That's right, I've never heard of him, either..  

Here's Albert's lifetime stats.  Also shows penalties, sacks allowed, yds lost, etc.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8792

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:08 PM)McC Wrote: A lot can change in a year.  

Plus after not having a whole Offseason to ever work in the NFL...

Very early to give up on Ogbuehi, he has gotten much stronger from all accounts.

I will wait and see. I bet if he struggles tonight SoCal and all the others will be on here calling him a bust.

If he plays well we will not hear a peep.
Reply/Quote