Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oline worries are overrated - play design has been terrible.
Got buried in other thread, but we are running a college offense. I don’t know if burrow is allowed to audible route tree at LOS, but I see very little effort to take advantage of defensive spacing at snap. WR look to be running in to traffic, automatically attacking difficult areas on field when other areas wide open. RPO non-existent and general usage of TE/RB in PA very basic. WR are super talented but trying too hard.

Oline communication will get better, Collins looks as advertised when he doesn’t have mental lapse. Hurst should line up more off tackle/run Hback routes on misdirection plays.

I’m not a pro, but general sense coaches aren’t attacking parts of defense besides letting players get open. Five wide looks like simple short option zone routes - no drag routes/hi lo or whatever. Later in game burrow got sacked running four verticals - te ran vertical instead of cutting inside to attack lack of LB coverage. Should be automatic audible.
Reply/Quote
Burrow definately audibles plays. Whether it's just from pass to run...I don't know.

Under center, they run A LOT. And they have basically very little play action.

I honestly think a top college OC could do much better with this team.
Reply/Quote
Collins has went against Watt and Parsons. It doesn't get any tougher than that.

As far as the short passes...Yes! That's a big problem. I also think the WR's aren't getting open.
Reply/Quote
It's been a combination of both and its a huge problem.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Generally, if there are 1 or 2 problem areas...it's the players. When there are problems absolutely everywhere...it's the coaches/scheme.
Reply/Quote
well play design has been horrible for 3 years and 2 games we were hoping at least the OL would improve. after investing so much into it
Reply/Quote
Under Center wide zone/west coast offense is about as far from a college offens as it gets... now a spread RPO is pretty much on brand for college.

I do agree the Bengals need to spread it out more in the future because the line has had alot of trouble with the wide zone especially at both tackle spots.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have Oline issues no doubt. Our communication/chemistry is awful. Williams has been a hot mess and Collins pass pro has been substandard.

However, I agree our #1 problem is offensive scheme/gameplan/play calling. We've been running a very vanilla offense. We've been way to predictable. We have to do more than just line up and say go beat your guy.

Taylor, Callahan, and Pollock need to throw existing playbook and gameplans out the window and start over. And I'm not real confident that's gonna work.

I believe we need a real OC. Where we get one at this point I dunno ?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow definately audibles plays. Whether it's just from pass to run...I don't know.

Under center, they run A LOT. And they have basically very little play action.

I honestly think a top college OC could do much better with this team.

When the defenders get to the QB in 1-2 seconds, it can make it extremely difficult getting the ball out when that close to the LOS.

Maybe someone who has NFL Replay or records games can go back to watch the previous two games to see if there are any tendencies happening with the blocking that's causing defenders to get in so quick.
I know there's been quite a few times the defenders have ran right past, which leads to missed assignments either by the coaching staff or the players forgetting who they are assigned.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Except the defenders mostly aren’t getting to the QB in 1-2 seconds. It’s more 3-4 seconds. This thread is correct, the scheme is causing a lot of the problems.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When the defenders get to the QB in 1-2 seconds, it can make it extremely difficult getting the ball out when that close to the LOS.

Maybe someone who has NFL Replay or records games can go back to watch the previous two games to see if there are any tendencies happening with the blocking that's causing defenders to get in so quick.
I know there's been quite a few times the defenders have ran right past, which leads to missed assignments either by the coaching staff or the players forgetting who they are assigned.

It's a myth that Burrow was getting sacked really quick. 3.43 seconds which was in the middle of the pack.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We have Oline issues no doubt. Our communication/chemistry is awful. Williams has been a hot mess and Collins pass pro has been substandard.

However, I agree our #1 problem is offensive scheme/gameplan/play calling. We've been running a very vanilla offense. We've been way to predictable. We have to do more than just line up and say go beat your guy.

Taylor, Callahan, and Pollock need to throw existing playbook and gameplans out the window and start over. And I'm not real confident that's gonna work.

Some of us have beating that horse dead for a few years now.  If it hasn't changed yet, I don't see it changing now.  I like Taylor, but don't think he's ever been the answer at OC.  He seems to see it differently. 
Reply/Quote
This staff allows Burrow & crew the most input of any team in the NFL in scheming. Joe is allowed unprecedented ability to audible. The problem is a combination of the offensive staff, Joe’s well documented notoriously slow starts that have dotted his career, and the offensive line and really whole offense a work in progress. It’s not all on any of them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:55 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This staff allows Burrow & crew the most input of any team in the NFL in scheming. Joe is allowed unprecedented ability to audible. The problem is a combination of the offensive staff, Joe’s well documented notoriously slow starts that have dotted his career, and the offensive line and really whole offense a work in progress. It’s not all on any of them.

I agree with that.

But, how can't they beat Cover 2. You literally just throw to who's open over the middle and you beat it.
Reply/Quote
We called a pass play once where Volson was supposed to pull and block someone on the whole opposite side of the line he was on. Of course he missed the block. When i saw that play i knew this line wasn’t the problem. These coaches are idiots
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:58 AM)Housh Wrote: We called a pass play once where Volson was supposed to pull and block someone on the whole opposite side of the line he was on. Of course he missed the block. When i saw that play i knew this line wasn’t the problem. These coaches are idiots

I think they did that on the Steelers and expected him to block Watt. The timing on that has to be perfect to work.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well play design has been horrible for 3 years and 2 games we were hoping at least the OL would improve. after investing so much into it

Can't be true. I was told that we're the defending AFC Champs, so there's no 4 year problems with this team. If you win the AFC, your team is flawless.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a myth that Burrow was getting sacked really quick. 3.43 seconds which was in the middle of the pack.

It literally says his time to throw is 2.17 seconds, which is closer to 2 than 3.
So I stand by my statement.

It's taking longer to get sacked, yes, but he time to throw is very short.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 11:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't be true. I was told that we're the defending AFC Champs, so there's no 4 year problems with this team. If you win the AFC, your team is flawless.   Ninja

Honestly, for Taylor's sake, getting to the Super Bowl might have been a detriment for him, as now the bar has been raised.
There's now an expectation of being a true contender or get out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We have Oline issues no doubt. Our communication/chemistry is awful. Williams has been a hot mess and Collins pass pro has been substandard.

They say it's a copycat league.  I would spend an entire day each week watching other teams' plays.  Probably simplistic, but Zak ain't coming up with better plays then Reid.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote