Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oline worries are overrated - play design has been terrible.
(09-20-2022, 06:02 PM)TheFan Wrote: For sure - I don't understand what coaching the line is getting for why they keep dropping 5 yards back even if there's no one they're blocking. Regardless though I don't get how this would be a good stat for Burrow because either way he's worst in the league at avoiding the sack when pressured. 

There is still more to it haha. Stat aside, the way the rushers are getting turned loose is killing him too. When Collins was getting spun he was releasing Parsons to the inside but when he ran back in to block again he cuts off Burrows escape lane essentially creating the sack himself twice. There are a lot of those issues where the line when they miss are making it harder to escape as well.

…but again Burrow does have a role in this. Just pointing in there is a lot of weird stuff happening here. I put in another thread the whole operation across the protection scheme from communication, to blocking, to QB getting it out is broken right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Thing to remember here is out of 13 sacks 6 can directly be attributed to Burrow. Also sacks are not the sole measure of line play.

Does that include coverage sacks?

Of course those don't go to the O-line, but if the O-line plays subpar and the WRs/TEs/Rb are covered does the QB get credited for the sack?

So if they do...  is that a sole measure for attributing it to the QB?

I just really want to know.  Not being snarky.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 05:40 PM)Synric Wrote: A couple of the sacks blamed on Burrow are because he was resetting when pressured and the throw window closes. 
Right.  I agree.

I don't think he has time when the receivers aren't getting open with so much pressure closing or collapsing.

If he was just standing there holding the ball flat footed and waiting for them to get open and taking a sack. then yeah, he's holding the ball too long.

I just don't see that.  Am I missing something?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 07:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Does that include coverage sacks?

Of course those don't go to the O-line, but if the O-line plays subpar and the WRs/TEs/Rb are covered does the QB get credited for the sack?

So if they do...  is that a sole measure for attributing it to the QB?

I just really want to know.  Not being snarky.

Nope. These are sacks multiple sources all attribute to Burrow - like being sacked because he ran up into pressure when he had targets right in front of him and such. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a myth that Burrow was getting sacked really quick. 3.43 seconds which was in the middle of the pack.

This time could be artificially inflated by Burrow's ability to escape pressure and extend plays. Especially in such a small sample size.

Time to pressure is the stat that I'd put much more weight into.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This time could be artificially inflated by Burrow's ability to escape pressure and extend plays. Especially in such a small sample size.

Time to pressure is the stat that I'd put much more weight into.

Bingo 100x. In college he had the "best offensive line" but that was such BS. Burrow made them look good, there were some plays where he would break tackles from 3 different dudes and sling it downfield, but he ain't in college anymore...
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

I just saw this tweet and thought it was worth posting to see some numbers.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 02:43 PM)pally Wrote:

I hope they tweek it "A LOT". Because right now it isn't working at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:33 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: OL will gel more over the season. It's just a question of how much they will do so.

It's unfortunate that the Ts are playing so bad and Volson has been inconsistent because Karras and Cappa are playing well and it's being overshadowed by the bad play. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's been a combination of both and its a huge problem.

This is spot on.

It should change. My guess is that the play calling will be similar to what they were doing last season with a terrible o-line. Burrow under center play action with two quick reads. This will help the new lineman get comfortable because right now they obviously aren't. They're just not yet capable of executing the plays that are currently being called.

Honestly, they better figure it out against the Jets because the Fins pass rushers get after it. Going into a short week it's advantage pass rushers.
Reply/Quote