Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Oliver Stone's Untold History of the U.S."
Have any of you seen this? It is a 12 episode documentary series now on Netflix that deals with U.S. history from 1900 to the present (for some reason, the first two episodes are last in the order on Netflix).

It is not easy to watch. He rakes every presidential admin over the past 116 years, in addition to media for under-reporting selective events and misreporting others.

But the facts presented are generally correct.

As I said before, it is not an easy watch. And it challenges many things we have been taught in school about our country. That said, I highly recommend it. You will learn things about our country and government that you didn't know before.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-04-2016, 01:43 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Have any of you seen this? It is a 12 episode documentary series now on Netflix that deals with U.S. history from 1900 to the present (for some reason, the first two episodes are last in the order on Netflix).

It is not easy to watch. He rakes every presidential admin over the past 116 years, in addition to media for under-reporting selective events and misreporting others.

But the facts presented are generally correct.

As I said before, it is not an easy watch. And it challenges many things we have been taught in school about our country. That said, I highly recommend it. You will learn things about our country and government that you didn't know before.
Sounds interesting.  Will check it out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-04-2016, 01:43 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: But the facts presented are generally correct. 

"Generally"?

I don't like the sound of that.
(12-05-2016, 02:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Generally"?

I don't like the sound of that.

In a twelve hour series, I found a handful of things mentioned in the show which were debatable (ex. "Did the U.S. have ten times as many nuclear warheads than the Soviets at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, or was the U.S. lead somewhat smaller?").

He behaved himself concerning the Kennedy Assassination. No mention of the "grassy knoll" or "Zapruder". Just discussion about how it impacted the nation.... and a couple of comments on who Kennedy pissed off the most.
(12-05-2016, 03:35 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: In a twelve hour series, I found a handful of things mentioned in the show which were debatable (ex. "Did the U.S. have ten times as many nuclear warheads than the Soviets at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, or was the U.S. lead somewhat smaller?").

He behaved himself concerning the Kennedy Assassination. No mention of the "grassy knoll" or "Zapruder". Just discussion about how it impacted the nation.... and a couple of comments on who Kennedy pissed off the most.
Who did Kennedy piss off the most? I always assumed it was the Military-Industrial Complex.
(12-05-2016, 03:40 AM)treee Wrote: Who did Kennedy piss off the most? I always assumed it was the Military-Industrial Complex.

The mob... Cuban exiles.... certain business leaders.... Curtis LeMay and the Joint Chiefs of Staff
(12-05-2016, 03:46 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The mob... Cuban exiles.... certain business leaders.... Curtis LeMay and the Joint Chiefs of Staff
I will definitely check this out.

With JFK being mentioned, I remembered this from Netflix.
If you haven't seen it, it's a must watch.

Fog Of War Eleven Lessons From The Life Of Robert S. Mcnamara

(12-07-2016, 12:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I will definitely check this out.

With JFK being mentioned, I remembered this from Netflix.
If you haven't seen it, it's a must watch.

Fog Of War Eleven Lessons From The Life Of Robert S. Mcnamara

I have seen "Fog of War" and read the book. Pretty revealing stuff. I definitely recommend!  ThumbsUp
(12-07-2016, 12:48 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I have seen "Fog of War" and read the book. Pretty revealing stuff. I definitely recommend!  ThumbsUp

Wish Trump has seen it.
I'll watch it at some point, but hard to pass up watching things like ' A Christmas Horror Story' on there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(12-05-2016, 03:40 AM)treee Wrote: Who did Kennedy piss off the most? I always assumed it was the Military-Industrial Complex.

The people who wanted to go into Vietnam hot and heavy, the people who schemed up Operation Northwoods & the Bay of Pigs invasion, the arbiters of the Federal Reserve, right wingers who didn't want to see Social Security entitlements ever happen, the Russians, an awful lot powerful people who did not like him going against the grain.

I'll have to look into this documentary sometime, as I'm deeply interested in the "raw" story rather than the revisionist, feel good nonsense that you usually hear.  If it's even half as entertaining as Noam Chomsky going off about the CIA then I'll be wildly entertained   Tongue
I started watching it on the OP's recommendation last night. I decided to do it chronologically and started on the second to last episode... I see what you mean. It began with a debate from the 2000 election. I went to start it at episode 1, and all of the sudden McKinley appeared, so I let it ride. I thought it was interesting, but it reminded me of a meandering college lecture.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021