Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
One improvement?
If you could pick one player to improve a position on the roster, what would the position be?(Not necessarily the replacement player).
For me, if I could pick one position to upgrade, it would be Brandon Allen's spot. He just does not inspire any confidence in me. I would love to get a Fitzpatrick type on the roster that could give you 5 or 6 good games before they faded.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you could pick one player to improve a position on the roster, what would the position be?(Not necessarily the replacement player).
For me, if I could pick one position to upgrade, it would be Brandon Allen's spot. He just does not inspire any confidence in me. I would love to get a Fitzpatrick type on the roster that could give you 5 or 6 good games before they faded.

I understand getting a better backup QB.  Allen might be the weakest backup in the NFL.

I also would not argue with more receiver depth.

Nor would I sneeze at an upgrade at CB.

But I'm going to go with 3 tech DT.  A proven pass rusher to take Larry's place.  You just can't have enough pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you could pick one player to improve a position on the roster, what would the position be?(Not necessarily the replacement player).

This is a good one - why they didn't upgrade over Allen this off-season is kind of beyond me. Him starting a game if Joe goes down could be the difference between making/missing the playoffs. 

For me, I'd look at the interior defensive line. It was OK last year and thats when we had Ogunjobi. They didn't do much to fill the gap after he left and I think its super thin at the moment. You could argue pass rush in the NFL is one of the most important aspects of defense and I don't think the Bengals will have a great one this year. 

I still think this team adds an impactful guy at that spot after roster cuts or trades for one. I just don't think that guy is on the roster yet and it would fit their mold the past few years of adding a guy like that deep into training camp.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
do we have a TE/FB hybrid? or we still using a DT as a FB when we use one
Reply/Quote
Offensive line depth.

If just one player then a versatile vet who can play both OT and OG.
Reply/Quote
An upgrade at CB can never be scoffed at. Don't want another Kupp vs Apple in the SB situation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offensive line depth.

If just one player then a versatile vet who can play both OT and OG.

Agree with this.
I could also go with WR4 or QB2, but I'm currently super nervous about any of the backup OL having to play a full game.
I am not high on Prince, Adeniji, or Hill. Volson and Smith haven't really played. Smith only 50 snaps on offense last year, Volson 4th round rookie coming from FCS school.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm in the DEPENDS Camp.

If Burrow is out for the year.. no matter which QB you throw out there our season is functionally finished. Spare me the Nick Foles argument.

If Burrow is out for a couple games then yea Brandon Allen should of been upgraded.

OL I'm nervous about but at least we know Joe can win games although risky with a shit O-Line.
W4 - Yes we need to land one of the guys still available.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Like everybody else says QB2 WR4 backup oline.

I'll go with a vet backup Oline
Reply/Quote
another veteran guard, oline is more injury prone than other areas.. im good with Allen, veteran with experience , he never really played much last year and when he did he played with a backup line behind one of the worst lines in football last year.. never had a chance...
Reply/Quote

For me probably Eli Apple. If you were to ask me what player would you want to emerge with a great season it’d be him or Jonah Williams. Jonah Williams? Yep if he’d have a Pro Bowl season at LT oh my!
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2022, 08:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: For me probably Eli Apple. If you were to ask me what player would you want to emerge with a great season it’d be him or Jonah Williams. Jonah Williams? Yep if he’d have a Pro Bowl season at LT oh my!

Center, WR4, DT, CB, LB

Pretty much in that order.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

It's really a toss up for me at CB and OT.  I like D'Ante Smith a lot, but he has to show he can stay healthy.  He sure has taken the challenge of adding strength and weight.  CB2 is a mystery with the unpredictable Eli Apple and CTB.  I can't see CTB taking his starters job unless there is an injury.

This is assuming Ossai begins to fulfill his massive potential.  

I don't worry so much about QB2.  If you need him for half a season, about any team is doomed, but for a game or two, I think Allen can hand the ball off, and mix in enough play-action to be effective. 
Reply/Quote

Edge Rush/OLB
Reply/Quote
Interior Pass Rusher- Rirght now we have 0 depth behind BJ Hill.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Backup QB, backup Guard, backup WR, backup 3-tech all are questions.

(07-29-2022, 02:45 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I understand getting a better backup QB.  Allen might be the weakest backup in the NFL.

I also would not argue with more receiver depth.

Nor would I sneeze at an upgrade at CB.

But I'm going to go with 3 tech DT.  A proven pass rusher to take Larry's place.  You just can't have enough pass rushers.

(07-29-2022, 02:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is a good one - why they didn't upgrade over Allen this off-season is kind of beyond me. Him starting a game if Joe goes down could be the difference between making/missing the playoffs. 

For me, I'd look at the interior defensive line. It was OK last year and thats when we had Ogunjobi. They didn't do much to fill the gap after he left and I think its super thin at the moment. You could argue pass rush in the NFL is one of the most important aspects of defense and I don't think the Bengals will have a great one this year. 

I still think this team adds an impactful guy at that spot after roster cuts or trades for one. I just don't think that guy is on the roster yet and it would fit their mold the past few years of adding a guy like that deep into training camp.

Kind of depends on how Zach Carter comes along cause yes, this is the question behind BJ Hill who isn't quite as good of a
pass rushing 3-tech as Ogunjobi was, better run stopper but we need an interior pass rush. Hoping Carter is the answer, if 
not, we will have to add somebody.
Reply/Quote
Definitely corner. You can never have enough and I'm still iffy on our depth back there. Especially with two rookies who will be seeing a decent amount of time on the field I would think.
Reply/Quote
Kick/Punt Returner for me. Special Teams is already great on the kicking side…imagine if it were great on the return side. Maybe a solid #4 receiver that can handle returns?

As others have suggested though, I wouldn’t scoff at a CB upgrade or more depth on the O-Line.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2022, 05:19 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Definitely corner. You can never have enough and I'm still iffy on our depth back there. Especially with two rookies who will be seeing a decent amount of time on the field I would think.

If both Dax and CTB can be as good as I think they can both could be starters this year or at least have snaps starting.

I honestly could see CTB pushing Apple out of the starting outside #2 corner position and Apple is good depth.

Plus the Bates situation could end up being a blessing in disguise for Dax to where he gets tons of snaps and a shot at the 
starting FS spot if Bates does what he says and doesn't play on the Tag. Think he will play on the Tag though regardless.

Still, I don't find Corner to be weak with our young studs. Thinking these guys will impress big time. Dax can play every 
position in the Secondary and even WILL Linebacker in a pinch. Dude is so versatile which makes him so valuable and such
a great pick.
Reply/Quote
Of course I agree with others about the backup QB position. Yet if Burrow goes down for more than a couple of games then the Bengals are probably going nowhere anyway.

If I could add one piece it would be a good RB to alleviate some of Mixon's workload without losing much in production all while featuring a two headed rushing attack.

Feel if Mixon had a season ending injury the Bengals would still be ok if this piece was added more so than trying to find someone who can't fill Burrows shoes anyway.

Know this is not an opinion anyone else shares, yet this is the move I would make while they're still in the window of opportunity.

Believe it would make the Bengals offense unstoppable and the receivers would feast on the single coverage.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote