Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thing cost us that game
Also, I think the fact that the Steelers only needed a field goal to win the game is a point that a lot of us are losing track of when discussing running the clock down. Not milking the clock and the Steelers needing to drive down to score a TD is one thing, but not milking the clock when the Steelers only needed a FG is another thing.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It situational football. Just because you are losing doesnt mean you cant milk the clock. The Bengals were inside the red zone with a minute left and two time outs. Time wasn't an issue for the Bengals. It could have been made an issue for the Steelers. 

Yes, but you don't put the cart before the horse. The goal was to score the go-ahead TD. They did that. Maybe we should look at other areas that could of lend a hand to this loss?

0 pressures, hits or sacks. ZERO!!

No turnovers
491 yards allowed
8-14 3rd down conversions 
12 missed tackles TWELVE!!

I am not going to get bent out of shape over a few seconds the offense didn't take away from a suspect D 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 09:55 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: ThumbsUp  Common sense does exist!

That's the problem. Anyone can have common sense. It's uncommon sense that's in short supply ..It reminds me of the phrase, "Great minds think alike." Birds and fish and sheep think alike . Great minds think independently which is why they're great minds in the first place .
Just don't tell that to the common people .They all want to think they're possessed with great minds..and all think alike. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 09:18 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’d be curious to know as well. My instincts say Marvin, but I’m not sure. You would think Andy would know to slow it down, but it could’ve been the coaches in his ear telling him to hurry up. The more time goes on, the less it makes sense tbh.

gotta score a TD or the running of the clock doesn't help us at all
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really, truly believe that? Here is a nugget: 

Three times on the go-ahead drive they snapped the ball with the game clock running — each time with at least 16 seconds remaining on the play clock.

Here is a look at each:
  • On third and 4 from their own 31, they snapped it with 22 seconds left on the play clock and got a first down on a 5-yard pass from Dalton to Uzomah.
  • On first and 10 from their own 36, they snapped it with 16 seconds on the play clock and got a pass interference penalty on Pittsburgh.
  • On first and 10 from the Pittsburgh 11, they snapped it with 17 seconds on the play clock and got a 7-yard completion from Dalton to Green.
Had they taken the play clock under 10 seconds in each instance, Pittsburgh would have had 44 seconds to work with rather than 1:12.

The longer you sit there, the more of a risk you have of a false start or the defense making adjustments.  You also can get the whole offense out of rhythm.  You give the Steelers pass rushers, who were eating Andy alive all game, more time to catch their breath.

We ultimately lost because the D apparently blew a coverage and left Juju wide open in the middle of the field to get in FG range.  Going back earlier in the game, Juju made an amazing catch to set up a TD while AJ and Core couldn't make routine ones.  We had several promising drives get killed by sacks.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Giving him the job wasn’t the issue, no one could have predicted how truly horrendous he would be, but they certainly waited too long to give him the axe.

I think it was pretty clear a guy who had been in the NFL for that long with no serious bids to be an OC was a lazy and bust-worthy pick.  We could dig up some of our threads about it...I know I was hoping for the best but expecting a rather predictable result.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 10:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really, truly believe that? Here is a nugget: 

Three times on the go-ahead drive they snapped the ball with the game clock running — each time with at least 16 seconds remaining on the play clock.

Here is a look at each:
  • On third and 4 from their own 31, they snapped it with 22 seconds left on the play clock and got a first down on a 5-yard pass from Dalton to Uzomah.
  • On first and 10 from their own 36, they snapped it with 16 seconds on the play clock and got a pass interference penalty on Pittsburgh.
  • On first and 10 from the Pittsburgh 11, they snapped it with 17 seconds on the play clock and got a 7-yard completion from Dalton to Green.
Had they taken the play clock under 10 seconds in each instance, Pittsburgh would have had 44 seconds to work with rather than 1:12.

The thing is there was a real fine line between running the clock down verse getting the TD. It isnt like they needed a field goal which makes it a lot easier to run the clock down but needed a TD which is harder to do.

But this situation the Bengals aka Marvin didn't do a good enough job in finding that fine line, period, by leaving time on the play clock on those plays mentioned. Pitt would have only needed a field goal to win, this isn't Ben's first rodeo, Pitt had all 3 timeouts left, and the Bengals D was simply not good enough to be relied upon yesterday with no pass rush at all.

Now should they have keeled, or tried to run plays to stay in bounds to milk the clock? Absolutely not. You have to score above all else.

But in the attempt to score, shave off as many seconds as possible when your team still has two timeouts left and the chance % of scoring isn't being diminished in doing so. This is where they didn't maximize their chance for a win.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:34 AM)3wt Wrote: Why are you going to trust a ham strung unit that has not got pressure on the Steelers all day to suddenly perform?

Letting the clock tick down a little each snap is an easy thing to do, and totally more realistic than depending on our D at that point.  Even if you let the clock wind down an extra 10 seconds a snap could have meant the difference in the game.

This article is a little extreme and has the Bengals getting it down to 16 seconds.   I'm pretty sure we could have safely got it down to 30 seconds.

A lot better than 1:12

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/15/17976870/the-impact-of-clock-management-on-the-bengals-final-drive
I am not saying that time management is not an issue.  It has been the stench of the Marvin Lewis tenure.  What i am saying is that at some point the defense has to make plays.  This defense did not perform up to expectations.  And I know the line was being held like crazy but Billings has been so disappointing.  No pressure.  Even on blitzes.  None.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 05:50 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Totally sickening!!

One thing cost us that game, on our last TD drive with the game clock running and about 1:30 still on it and the play clock sitting with 24 secs left Dalton snapped the ball. Why the **** did we not wait and run another 20 seconds off the clock?
The Squeelers would then have had less than a minute after we had scored the touchdown.

Who is responsible for this? Marvin, Lazor or Dalton. Who ever it is needs there balls wrapped.

To many games against this lot that we have lost in the last few seconds because of mistakes and it is absolutely Sickening, starting to think that there are certain people in the organisation that are too close to the Squeelers due to working for them in the past.

I hope this doesn't have a knock on effect for the rest of the season.

I'm guess i'm just really hurting just now

Andy said in his presser that teams don’t focus on that in the moment.

Ummmm what? That is the problem with this team. No situational awareness and that starts with coaching.
Reply/Quote
This is a crazy argument. You can bleed clock when you are in position and need a field goal to win. Touchdowns are not guaranteed. Have to take it when you can get it. Defense needed to make a stop. Or better yet, don’t kill 4 drives with dropped passes, have some guts and go for it on 4th and 1 from
Pitts 40, and for the love, the front four have got to generate at least a little pressure. They have grit ...Bengals nearly won the game in spite of all of that
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think it was pretty clear a guy who had been in the NFL for that long with no serious bids to be an OC was a lazy and bust-worthy pick.  We could dig up some of our threads about it...I know I was hoping for the best but expecting a rather predictable result.

It was not any more "pretty clear" than the claim that a USFL with no experience as an NFL coordinator was a "bust worthy" pick.  There were plenty of threads like that when we hired Gruden.

Zampese did not succeed but he did enough to deserve the shot.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not any more "pretty clear" than the claim that a USFL with no experience as an NFL coordinator was a "bust worthy" pick.  There were plenty of threads like that when we hired Gruden.

Zampese did not succeed but he did enough to deserve the shot.

Hell, maybe we pulled the plug on Zampese too soon. Also, I thought Jay Gruden was an Arena League guy. Remember when the Bears hired a top CFL HC and he stunk in the NFL? Geez. Anyways, Gruden saved us from drafting Ryan Mallet, so we all know to honor his name in these parts.
Reply/Quote
The D made some stands earlier.

Why could they not stop Piggy?

They flat out sucked with 1:18 left to go.

If this was the offense not scoring with 1:18 left you can bet your ass they'd be shouldering the blame... yet they still can't catch a freakin' break.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 09:07 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Funny.  I've heard this on the talk shows also.  It's as if the fans think we were winning the game at that point and trying to run out the clock.  We needed to score a touchdown for crying out loud first and foremost.  You can't assume that is going to happen the more you wait.

(10-15-2018, 09:13 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: ThumbsUp

I mean do you think the defense would of not knew the snap count if the clock was running down to 0? What about them timing that up and filling the gaps? Maybe even lose yards, penalty, or turnover? 

There is not one single team that tries to score as fast as they can at the end of the game. Not one. 

The pace is determined by field position + time + timeouts left. Every team tries to score, but you always try to score as late as possible.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:04 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: 12 missed tackles TWELVE!!

And that was just on 1 play!!! Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There is not one single team that tries to score as fast as they can at the end of the game. Not one. 

The pace is determined by field position + time + timeouts left. Every team tries to score, but you always try to score as late as possible.

Actually when you need a TD you take it when you can get it.

Everyone claims to be an expert when the plays are over and they know what happened, but Sunday we had no idea how many plays it would take us to score.  And we did not want to be in a goal line situation without enough time to call running plays.

We had scored ZERO points the entire second half and we have people here claiming we should have throttled down the offense to make sure we did not score to quickly.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Two of those were from their own 31 and 36.  At that point you have to be inb a bit of a hurry because you have no idea how long it will take you to score.

Even when we had first and 10 at the Pitt 11 we might have needed all 8 plays to get in the end zone.

I guarantee if they ahd started milking the clock when on their own 30 yard line there would have been boos from the crowd.

I don't have a problem with the snaps on their own side of the field. Once they crossed mid field, with the time still left, they were able to start controlling the time of the snap to run more clock. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes time was an issue.  Even with first and ten at the 11 it could have taken us 8 plays to score.

A typical play takes 5-7 seconds. 7 x 8 = 56 seconds. There was over a minute left on the clock when they scored...

Reply/Quote
What cost Cincinnati the game? Not scoring on the first possession in the second half! Why win the coin toss, defer possession until the second half, and consistently lay an egg on the first third quarter possession?
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't have a problem with the snaps on their own side of the field. Once they crossed mid field, with the time still left, they were able to start controlling the time of the snap to run more clock. 

No they were not because they had no idea how many plays it would take them to score.  Remember that they had scored ZERO points in the entire second half.

Bengals had the ball on the Pitt 34 and the announcer criticized them for not hurrying to try and get off another play before the 2 minute warning.  No one watching had any idea how many plays it would take us to score.

In fact if they had started milking the clock at the Pitt 34 needing a TD the crowd would have booed.
Reply/Quote