Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
One year ago today.
Zac Taylor had a 6-25-1 record as an NFL head coach.

Joe Burrow had not played a single snap since his knee injury.

Our first round pick Ja'Marr Chase was having a terrible problem with drops in preseason games.

Billy Price was still a Bengal

But here was the good news after our third preseason game

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason-week-3-game-recap-miami-dolphins-29-cincinnati-bengals-26

Bengals fans can’t help but be encouraged by what they saw from rookie Jackson Carman on Sunday. After a much-maligned start to training camp and first outing against Tampa Bay, the second-rounder has looked much improved the past two weeks. He didn’t take a single downgrade in pass protection on 20 such snaps in this contest.

I don't know what thsi 2022 season holds, but I guarantee something will happen that none of us saw coming. And that is what is so great about sports. They are the original "reality programs".
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zac Taylor had a 6-25-1 record as an NFL head coach.

Our first round pick Ja'Marr Chase was having a terrible problem with drops in preseason games.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason-week-3-game-recap-miami-dolphins-29-cincinnati-bengals-26

Bengals fans can’t help but be encouraged by what they saw from rookie Jackson Carman on Sunday. After a much-maligned start to training camp and first outing against Tampa Bay, the second-rounder has looked much improved the past two weeks. He didn’t take a single downgrade in pass protection on 20 such snaps in this contest.

I don't know what thsi 2022 season holds, but I guarantee something will happen that none of us saw coming.  And that is what is so great about sports.  They are the original "reality programs".

Interesting looking back. Pretty crazy season. This one could be even crazier. I like that we are as healthy as I have 
ever seen us going into a season and hope Chase broke the curse of all our 1st rounders being injured in their rookie 
season every year and Dax has a great rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zac Taylor had a 6-25-1 record as an NFL head coach.

I don't know what thsi 2022 season holds, but I guarantee something will happen that none of us saw coming.  And that is what is so great about sports.  They are the original "reality programs".

Good post. 
Reply/Quote
What a ride it was. Hoping this one is even better.  Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep, who's to say what turn of events is just around the corner ? Could Carman become a solid starter ? I wouldn't say it's impossible, yet.

Could Eli Apple at 27 years old have his best most consistent season ever ? Could Joseph Ossai turn out to be the pass rusher we're hoping for, 12 sacks and a bunch of hurries ?

Can Taylor and Callahan get their fingers on the pulse of this offense and turn it into a juggernaut ? Will the defense take the next step up the ladder ?

Could we be saying Carman who ? Because Volson is killing it ?
Reply/Quote
Interesting to see how much has changed since preseason 2021.

Getting Hill for Price was a huge win and it’s hard to believe that Chase was actually a legit concern at this time Las year.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 03:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, who's to say what turn of events is just around the corner ? Could Carman become a solid starter ? I wouldn't say it's impossible, yet.

Could Eli Apple at 27 years old have his best most consistent season ever ? Could Joseph Ossai turn out to be the pass rusher we're hoping for, 12 sacks and a bunch of hurries ?

Can Taylor and Callahan get their fingers on the pulse of this offense and turn it into a juggernaut ? Will the defense take the next step up the ladder ?

I don't have an answer for that but reading that reminded me we haven't seen him in a live game and got me pumped. I'm sure he'll be physched.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 03:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, who's to say what turn of events is just around the corner ? Could Carman become a solid starter ? I wouldn't say it's impossible, yet.

Absolutely.

Switching sports, but still applies, did anyone know that Edwin Encarnacion was DFA'd at 27 and then went on to have 8 straight years of 30+ HRs?

Nobody know WHAT the future holds.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Gonna be a story to unfold no question brother. I think we are in for a wild ride as MasonBengals fan said last year was.

Should be a blast. Not going to lie, if we don't make a run at the SuperBowl big time I will be severely disappointed.

Never had higher expectations going into a season even if the AFC went all crazy to improve big time cause they see legit...

In the Cincinnati Bengals with Joe Burrow and company.
Reply/Quote
The guys I'm rooting for to have great rookie campaigns -- Carter, Gunter & Pryor.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 11:04 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The guys I'm rooting for to have great rookie campaigns -- Carter, Gunter & Pryor.

Carter is crucial.

It would be great for any rookie to step up and contribute, but we really need Zach to produce immediately.
Reply/Quote

I was going to do a what would surely be viewed as a "Carman Apologist" thread, but this is close enough.  Props for shocking the hell out of me...never thought you would be one to stick up for the guy, but kudos.

Here's the thing that I will offer for him:  There are LOTS of players...just not many on this team....that are poor "practice players".  They just can't get up for anything but the real thing.  The guy also did have COVID, which many of you probably have experienced, and the most recent variant going around causes extreme fatigue.  That can't be easy when fighting for a job, and he probably had it for a while before testing positive meaning that it could have affected his performance.

Enter Volson.  The perfect Anti-Carman.  Hard ass, tons of experience at multiple positions, ready to go at all times.  Of course, the coaches (and we) are going to fall in love with that, but the separation in actual talent between the two isn't that great.  Carman will most likely see significant snaps this season.  He could still develop in to a really solid LG.  

Do I think he will?  No.  I would actually bet against him because of the lack of tough mentality that seems to plague him.  He doesn't have that "I will show the world" attitude, he just shrugs his shoulders and seems to accept it.  I hope I'm wrong, but there is still a chance he becomes the starting LG and performs well.  It isn't a great chance, but he has a chance.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what thsi 2022 season holds, but I guarantee something will happen that none of us saw coming.  And that is what is so great about sports.  They are the original "reality programs".

If I had to guess something unpredictable for this season it will be a "shift" of the offense to a more underneath and running game compared to the deep and outside attack of a year ago.  Teams will be looking at how Denver defended them, and there will be a lot more two deep safety looks.  

You poke holes in this with TEs, slot WRs, and running the ball.  

I can imagine a game script that starts like this and once defenses adjust, then they take some deep shots.  Have to be careful early, though, as the Bengals/Burrow have been very vocal about when they see Ja'Marr singled, Joe is going to take his shots.  Teams will disguise that look.  I know Burrow will be ahead of what any defense will be thinking, but I would imagine this approach of more underneath stuff has been the focus this year.  It might feel boring at first, but I love the idea of grinding out a lead and then opening things up and unleashing the pass rush on defense.  
Reply/Quote
Remember when we trade for Cordy Glenn and our line was going to be much better? Could probably do several of these a year.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I had to guess something unpredictable for this season it will be a "shift" of the offense to a more underneath and running game compared to the deep and outside attack of a year ago.  Teams will be looking at how Denver defended them, and there will be a lot more two deep safety looks.  

You poke holes in this with TEs, slot WRs, and running the ball.  

I can imagine a game script that starts like this and once defenses adjust, then they take some deep shots.  Have to be careful early, though, as the Bengals/Burrow have been very vocal about when they see Ja'Marr singled, Joe is going to take his shots.  Teams will disguise that look.  I know Burrow will be ahead of what any defense will be thinking, but I would imagine this approach of more underneath stuff has been the focus this year.  It might feel boring at first, but I love the idea of grinding out a lead and then opening things up and unleashing the pass rush on defense.  

I also see the same shift in the way we play Offense cause we were just really explosive last year with Chase. Defenses will
try to take the deep explosive plays away like you say. Problem for them is Chase can still break free underneath too. I really
think Hurst and Boyd could have a big year working underneath while Chase and Tee mix it up on the edge and in the Slot at
times. Should be unpredictable now that we have an OL that should be a good run blocking unit and a better pass protecting 
unit from a year ago.
Reply/Quote
A year ago? Heck, a lot of us were ready to dump the coaching staff as recently as December.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 02:13 PM)Roland Wrote: A year ago?  Heck, a lot of us were ready to dump the coaching staff as recently as December.

I wanted Lou gone after that season, glad I was wrong as he now seems like the best coach we have besides Simmons.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 07:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely.

Switching sports, but still applies, did anyone know that Edwin Encarnacion was DFA'd at 27 and then went on to have 8 straight years of 30+ HRs?

Nobody know WHAT the future holds.

Yeah, but wan't it Encarnacion who couldn't throw the ball from 3rd and could never get it anywhere near 1B?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 12:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I also see the same shift in the way we play Offense cause we were just really explosive last year with Chase. Defenses will
try to take the deep explosive plays away like you say. Problem for them is Chase can still break free underneath too. I really
think Hurst and Boyd could have a big year working underneath while Chase and Tee mix it up on the edge and in the Slot at
times. Should be unpredictable now that we have an OL that should be a good run blocking unit and a better pass protecting 
unit from a year ago.

Less predictable, yes, but also more efficient.  How many times did a penalty put them in 1st and 20?  How many poor rush attempts left them in 2nd and 12?  They did an amazing job converting those down and distances, but I can't wait to see a 3rd and 2 where they just hand off Mixon behind Cappa and Collins and get an easy 4 yards.  Of course, if safeties and LBs start cheating up (I bet we see more hard counts this year) then Joe will play action and throw over them.

They seem to know Joe's superpower is being able to read and diagnose quickly with multiple targets.  We will see plenty of empty, or plenty of RBs chip and go out in a pattern.  

My biggest concern right now isn't Volson at LG, but the health and ability with next to no hard practice time for Collins.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Less predictable, yes, but also more efficient.  How many times did a penalty put them in 1st and 20?  How many poor rush attempts left them in 2nd and 12?  They did an amazing job converting those down and distances, but I can't wait to see a 3rd and 2 where they just hand off Mixon behind Cappa and Collins and get an easy 4 yards.  Of course, if safeties and LBs start cheating up (I bet we see more hard counts this year) then Joe will play action and throw over them.

They seem to know Joe's superpower is being able to read and diagnose quickly with multiple targets.  We will see plenty of empty, or plenty of RBs chip and go out in a pattern.  

My biggest concern right now isn't Volson at LG, but the health and ability with next to no hard practice time for Collins.  

We will see how the new guy's gel together on the OL, we were like the most disciplined team in the NFL last year but I 
wasn't impressed with our backups in the Preseason penalty wise, it was ugly. This is my biggest concern going into the 
season, penalties especially opening against the team with the refs in their pocket and so many new pieces on our OL.

We are going to be a much better running team when not being called for holding lol

I could see this being a problem unless Pollack and company really reiterate discipline big time.
Reply/Quote