Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Two More Years Of Marv?
So I was perusing NFL.com when I noticed a headline "Lewis suggested Hue Jackson succeed him with Bengals in '18"

If you follow the link it takes you to this article, http://www.nfl.com/33weeks, a very elongated story behind Hue Jackson. I didn't read it, but I DID skim to the part about Marvin Lewis and the Bengals.

""I feel comfortable in Cincinnati," he'd told me during a middle-of-the-night phone call about nine hours before being offered the Browns' job. "They know me there. I love working with Marvin and Andy [Dalton, the Bengals' high-rated quarterback]. Staying makes a lot of sense."

A few hours later, when he and Lewis met with Bengals owner Mike Brown to lay out their successor-in-waiting scenario (which, per Lewis' suggestion, would have had Jackson replacing him following the 2017 season), Jackson was *fed up with the drama, eager to extricate himself from the emotional roller coaster and extremely open to remaining in Cincinnati. However, after talking it out with Brown and Lewis and shedding an ample amount of tears, Jackson became less excited about that scenario, partly because it began to sink in how much awkwardness could accompany such an arrangement. He returned to his office and, less than an hour later, received the fateful call from Haslam, eventually assuring the owner he was on board. Then, after a phone call to his wife and a frantic trip home to change into a suit and grab a cellphone charger, Jackson was literally on board Haslam's plane, his body and mind moving hundreds of miles per hour. "

*The bolded part is referring to something earlier in the article, NOT drama in Cincinnati, just so the reader is warned. It confused me at first too.

What interests me about this particular segment are two things.

1. Hue Jackson thought there would be awkwardness with such an arrangement? It doesn't seem awkward to me, but I'm not him. Found that part strange.

2. And this is the big one. Does this somewhat imply that Marvin plans to be done in 2018? Does he think we will win a Super Bowl by then? Is that his timeline? Is that the year he is calling it quits? Many interesting mountains to make out of these mole hills, but I thought they were worth discussing.
Reply/Quote
If the Browns continue to be the Browns, Hue will be out of a job by 2018. If Marvin is truly planning to retire by then, Hur could still (in theory) be the next Bengals coach
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 06:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So I was perusing NFL.com when I noticed a headline "Lewis suggested Hue Jackson succeed him with Bengals in '18"

If you follow the link it takes you to this article, http://www.nfl.com/33weeks, a very elongated story behind Hue Jackson. I didn't read it, but I DID skim to the part about Marvin Lewis and the Bengals.

""I feel comfortable in Cincinnati," he'd told me during a middle-of-the-night phone call about nine hours before being offered the Browns' job. "They know me there. I love working with Marvin and Andy [Dalton, the Bengals' high-rated quarterback]. Staying makes a lot of sense."

A few hours later, when he and Lewis met with Bengals owner Mike Brown to lay out their successor-in-waiting scenario (which, per Lewis' suggestion, would have had Jackson replacing him following the 2017 season), Jackson was *fed up with the drama, eager to extricate himself from the emotional roller coaster and extremely open to remaining in Cincinnati. However, after talking it out with Brown and Lewis and shedding an ample amount of tears, Jackson became less excited about that scenario, partly because it began to sink in how much awkwardness could accompany such an arrangement. He returned to his office and, less than an hour later, received the fateful call from Haslam, eventually assuring the owner he was on board. Then, after a phone call to his wife and a frantic trip home to change into a suit and grab a cellphone charger, Jackson was literally on board Haslam's plane, his body and mind moving hundreds of miles per hour. "

*The bolded part is referring to something earlier in the article, NOT drama in Cincinnati, just so the reader is warned. It confused me at first too.

What interests me about this particular segment are two things.

1. Hue Jackson thought there would be awkwardness with such an arrangement? It doesn't seem awkward to me, but I'm not him. Found that part strange.

2. And this is the big one. Does this somewhat imply that Marvin plans to be done in 2018? Does he think we will win a Super Bowl by then? Is that his timeline? Is that the year he is calling it quits? Many interesting mountains to make out of these mole hills, but I thought they were worth discussing.

I said this when it happenned that this was the plan. Hue was supppssed to take over in a couple years but he thought it would be awkward bc even though mike marv and hue get along great and mike loves hue, mike having been with marv so long any other head coach might fail to live up to marv in mikes eyes. But yes, the plan was for hue to take over for marv in i had hear 4-5 years, but hue didnt want to wait was another part of it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 06:16 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If the Browns continue to be the Browns, Hue will be out of a job by 2018. If Marvin is truly planning to retire by then, Hur could still (in theory) be the next Bengals coach

If after two seasons as HC, the Hue Jackson led Browns are still the Browns as we currently know them, do we really want him running this team?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
To the OP point 1:

It would be akward in that there could be a lame duck scenario for the current HC if the HC in waiting wants to take over now and voices that opinion.

It would also be akward if the HC may have to explain, at final cuts, why he chose to cut a player that the HC in waiting was adamant about keeping for his own regime.
Reply/Quote
Why wait two years for a promotion when he could get it now? Hue did the right thing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:03 PM)jason Wrote: Why wait two years for a promotion when he could get it now? Hue did the right thing.

Well, I was much more interested into whether people think Marvin aims to retire after 2017 regardless of what Hue did or didn't do. 
Reply/Quote
When Zimmer was here there were also talks about him taking over after Marvin. Although, we saw that Zimmer took a different opportunity. Reportedly they had asked Zimmer to stay another year (2014) to see how the year panned out.

Pretty much what that article is saying with Hue. Now, they asked Zimmer to wait in 2014 and by all appearances he wouldn't have moved up since Marvin is still the guy. So pretty much Hue would be asked to wait and see until Marvin is done. And even then nothing is ever promised. They both made career choices.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 10:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well, I was much more interested into whether people think Marvin aims to retire after 2017 regardless of what Hue did or didn't do. 
The Marvin Lewis issue is a lot like the Brandon Tate situation. A steady performer; nothing flashy; no playoff wins; the powers that be like him. To me it sounds much like the Brandon Tate story. To be continued.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If after two seasons as HC, the Hue Jackson led Browns are still the Browns as we currently know them, do we really want him running this team?

Like Hue a lot but not sure about him being our HC. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:26 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: When Zimmer was here there were also talks about him taking over after Marvin. Although, we saw that Zimmer took a different opportunity. Reportedly they had asked Zimmer to stay another year (2014) to see how the year panned out.

Pretty much what that article is saying with Hue. Now, they asked Zimmer to wait in 2014 and by all appearances he wouldn't have moved up since Marvin is still the guy. So pretty much Hue would be asked to wait and see until Marvin is done. And even then nothing is ever promised. They both made career choices.

Agree with this and Jasons post too. 

Both made correct decision. You have to take it when you can get it in this league. 

Would have rather had Zimmer though. But both are excellent and wish them the best. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
All part of the 16 year rebuilding plan. Marvin inherits the team, and only takes 16 years to hand over it over to the next coach (in house, of course!) to take this team over the top.

And for anyone who thinks 16 years is a long time for coach to stay put, remember the 90's!!! Furby, Seinfeld, the Bengals sucking balls. Don't forget what was just 25 years ago!!!
Reply/Quote
The players seemed to respond well to Hue as OC. It's a shame that he left when he did and where we went. I trust Marvin to help Mike find his next replacement. It could be Paulie G. Who knows?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Both Zimmer and then Jackson, had the opportunity to get into a succession plan.

But someone who is really driven to be an NFL coach cannot afford to turn town a head coaching position for one that is only "probable."

Although I heard that Zimmer said he had no problem taking Mike Brown's word and a handshake deal, because of Brown's loyalty to people. He just didn't want to wait any longer.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If after two seasons as HC, the Hue Jackson led Browns are still the Browns as we currently know them, do we really want him running this team?

I wouldn't be against it, mainly because Hue had some great success here and this roster is a little (ok, a lot) more talented than the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 01:04 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Like Hue a lot but not sure about him being our HC. 

Me neither. I really like Hue Jackson, but he has a tendency to go away from a game plan too soon if it doesn't work right away. He has even admitted it in post game losses. I am really looking forward to seeing what Zampese brings as OC. As for the next head coach, I wanted Zim, but do not see him leaving Minnesota until he wants to retire. Big market, new stadium, well liked. Only thing to bring him back here is this is his home.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 10:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well, I was much more interested into whether people think Marvin aims to retire after 2017 regardless of what Hue did or didn't do. 

If Marvin cannot get this team to the AFC Championship game by then, he should retire.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 03:28 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Both Zimmer and then Jackson, had the opportunity to get into a succession plan.

But someone who is really driven to be an NFL coach cannot afford to turn town a head coaching position for one that is only "probable."

completely false. Hue wanted it to work, and was all on board for the succession plan. In 2 years he would become the head coach for the Bengals. our Mike Brown, did not want to put anything in writing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-hue-jackson-left-the-bengals-to-take-the-browns-job
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 11:59 AM)Gohards Wrote: completely false. Hue wanted it to work, and was all on board for the succession plan. In 2 years he would become the head coach for the Bengals. our Mike Brown, did not want to put anything in writing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-hue-jackson-left-the-bengals-to-take-the-browns-job

I cant really blame Mike Brown for not signing off on that. 2 years is a long time and things can happen... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 12:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I cant really blame Mike Brown for not signing off on that. 2 years is a long time and things can happen... 

I cant really either. I mean, Hue to me has always been a guy that is a little over rated. Tries to get too fancy. If he turns the Browns around ill take that statement back.
Reply/Quote