Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onside kick alternative...
(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I REALLY don't like this.

Now teams can just decide to keep going for it, especially if they have momentum or whatever; yeah its the rule, but it takes away, "fairness," IMO.

That means that hypothetically, the opposing offense can NEVER get the ball, throughout an entire game, as the "kicking team," can decide to constantly go for it.

I know that won't happen, but I don't like this idea at all.

Interesting insight. A high powered passing offense will likely want to go for it. If you have a 2 TD lead, why not?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Interesting insight. A high powered passing offense will likely want to go for it. If you have a 2 TD lead, why not?

Because you would be giving the opponent the ball at your own 35 yard line.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Football becomes less and less football. At the rate they are going I will not recognize the game in 10 years.

That is kind of a strange statement.

I really don't see a big difference when watching a game from 10 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: These rules are total crap.  Why limit the option for a surprise on-side kick?  That makes no sense at all.

And if you are down by more than one score then you should be able to try more than one on-side kick or 4th-15 conversion.

I imagine you can still do an onside  kick whenever you want.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
AGAIN, as someone else stated, you would only be able to do this ONCE A GAME, and only in the 4th quarter. It will add an element of excitement to games. Damn, people get worked up over nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With how teams converted 3rd and long on us last year...

And first and 10 as well as 2nd and long and well, you know,  4th and long.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is kind of a strange statement.

I really don't see a big difference when watching a game from 10 years ago.

Well, the rules changes have accelerated lately.

Kickoffs out to the 25. Can't tackle hard. Women refs. Extra points moved back to some yard line that I don't know what it is. Hell, the 2 point conversion is new, but not that new and now you can't even have a fake extra point for 2.

Now onside kicks are gone, but if you can get 15 yards you get the ball.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you would be giving the opponent the ball at your own 35 yard line.

Yeah, but if you get the ball you can go up by 3 TDs.

Someone is going to go for it a lot more, even when winning, and sour this.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote:  Can't tackle hard. 

Hilarious LMAO

(03-25-2019, 04:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Women refs. 

I remember the first time I saw a woman reffing a football game I thought it was basketball.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but if you get the ball you can go up by 3 TDs.

You mean like how so many teams that are leading by 2 scores go for it now on 4th and 15?

LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 04:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but if you get the ball you can go up by 3 TDs.

I don't think the rule would allow teams to do it if they're ahead by 2 td's.  Seems like the intent of the rule is to keep viewers still watching games even if a team seems to be out of it. What you suggest would have the opposite effect.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This could get weird. How are automatic first down fouls handled for example?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 05:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: This could get weird. How are automatic first down fouls handled for example?

They would probably get handled like they always would, with the awarding of a first down.  If you can't defend 4th and 15 without a foul, you don't deserve to get the ball.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
The article is at NFL.com, sorry have trouble embedding things at the moment, but it was voted on by the competition committee and the owners will vote later. The article doesn't give a lot of info but it only says the team gets the ball on their 35 and it's 4th &15. If they don't make it then the other teams takes possession. Which I interpret to mean if they gain only 5 yds then the other teams gets the ball on 40. No mention when it can used or how many times. I do like the idea of it only being used in the 4th qtr.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Football becomes less and less football. At the rate they are going I will not recognize the game in 10 years.

Yep, I'm pretty much against it. Why not set up a game of horse shoes to see if you get the ball back ?

Every off season football becomes a little less football.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I'm pretty much against it. Why not set up a game of horse shoes to see if you get the ball back ?

I remember when they legalized the forward pass.  That pretty much ruined it for me.  Nothing should ever be allowed to change. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I REALLY don't like this.

Now teams can just decide to keep going for it, especially if they have momentum or whatever; yeah its the rule, but it takes away, "fairness," IMO.

That means that hypothetically, the opposing offense can NEVER get the ball, throughout an entire game, as the "kicking team," can decide to constantly go for it.

I know that won't happen, but I don't like this idea at all.

(03-25-2019, 04:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, the rules changes have accelerated lately.

Kickoffs out to the 25. Can't tackle hard. Women refs. Extra points moved back to some yard line that I don't know what it is. Hell, the 2 point conversion is new, but not that new and now you can't even have a fake extra point for 2.

Now onside kicks are gone, but if you can get 15 yards you get the ball.

(03-25-2019, 06:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I'm pretty much against it. Why not set up a game of horse shoes to see if you get the ball back ?

I'm with you guys, I don't like it either.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember when they legalized the forward pass.  That pretty much ruined it for me.  Nothing should ever be allowed to change. Rolleyes

You've used this line like 25X to many now. 

But anywho, you know yourself the game has changed drastically over the last decade. And I fully agree it had to change some. But enough is enough. If they go any further they might as well start playing two hand touch.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm with you guys, I don't like it either.  

Not sure I do either. I think it weakens the game. Seems carnival. 

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure I do either. I think it weakens the game. Seems carnival. 

Well, the objective now is and will always be to keep people watching right up to the end of games and that seems like what this rule is all about.

Reply/Quote