Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onside kick alternative...
(03-26-2019, 02:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Since my son has started playing Rugby this year, I was a little concerned, being there is no helmet. To my surprise, good, you don't see the head shot or missiles flying in. No helmet, means I guess they are taught to use their shoulders to tackle.

A few years ago when a lot of the concussion discussion started, I was interviewing a high school coach who said he thought the game would stay the same until the courts got involved (meaning a kid gets injured and sues his school). I asked him if he thought it would be safer to go the rugby route and play without helmets. Dude was shell shocked.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know anyone who says the kick off is the most exciting play of the game.

But if you change it to a punt it would be just as exciting except safer for the players.

Kicks were a lot more fun when people could return them for scores. Hell, people used to watch the Bears to see if Hester would score until 2011. Then it was just 'oh, yeah, punts!'*

I'm all for player safety, but the league hasn't done well bridging the old (kicks returned for scores which were interesting) with the new (touchbacks sandwiched between commercial breaks where people just go grab a beer).

* Nobody ever got excited about a punt. Ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 01:47 AM)Benton Wrote: * Nobody ever got excited about a punt. Ever.

I see no difference in excitement level between a punt return and  kick off return.

And I don't know of any rule changes that have reduced the ability to return a punt for a td.
Reply/Quote