Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Coaching Positions
(01-17-2016, 05:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As far as DL coach...there are some interesting asst's that they could look at, like veteran coach Jim Washburn, or others like Clyde Simmons (StL) and Dwaine Board (Sea).

What jobs are these guys in now?

On a side note, don't think much arm twisting would be required to get a guy to come and coach Geno and Big Los.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: What jobs are these guys in now?

On a side note, don't think much arm twisting would be required to get a guy to come and coach Geno and Big Los.

They're all assistant D-line coaches at the moment. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They're all assistant D-line coaches at the moment. 

Exactly the kind of guys we're looking at, I would say.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I'd still like to go younger at DL coach. Get an up and comer.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'd still like to go younger at DL coach. Get an up and comer.

Such as?

Reply/Quote
Did they post the job openings on indeed?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'd still like to go younger at DL coach. Get an up and comer.

I would honestly like to see a guy like Clyde Simmons get a shot with this line. The guy knows something about D-line play at a very high level. Of course, that doesn't mean he'll be a great D-line coach, but it would be interesting, IMO, to see how he would work with our group.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would honestly like to see a guy like Clyde Simmons get a shot with this line. The guy knows something about D-line play at a very high level. Of course, that doesn't mean he'll be a great D-line coach, but it would be interesting, IMO, to see how he would work with our group.

Well, he's certainly got credibility.  He played on one of the great DLines ever.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:30 PM)McC Wrote: Such as?

I don't know, I'm not that in tune with coaching circles. But I don't know if I'd want another older coach added. Some youth has to be on the staff eventually. We lost all of it on defense. 

(01-17-2016, 06:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would honestly like to see a guy like Clyde Simmons get a shot with this line. The guy knows something about D-line play at a very high level. Of course, that doesn't mean he'll be a great D-line coach, but it would be interesting, IMO, to see how he would work with our group.

I don't think he would be a bad group, but I think our current guys are maxed out more or less. We need a guy who can get some young talent and really develop more. We haven't had a successful DL draftee in 5 years. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would honestly like to see a guy like Clyde Simmons get a shot with this line.

Hopefully he'd be better as a coach in Cincy than he was a player.

Not that he was terrible, but he didn't have much of an impact.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Part of the reason for going younger, is hoping they are more willing to move away from the Clarke and Hunt types.
They see the need for athletic pass rushers, not just monsters at DE. Guys who can flex and bend.
Reply/Quote
He's only coached DB's in college (UC and Ohio State) but I'm sure Kerry Coombs could pump some enthusiasm into the D-line...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
How about Greg Lloyd?  With his history I am amazed he is not already a Steeler coach.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Justin Smith is interested in coaching.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:28 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Part of the reason for going younger, is hoping they are more willing to move away from the Clarke and Hunt types.
They see the need for athletic pass rushers, not just monsters at DE. Guys who can flex and bend.

The problem is not the "type".  I have no problem with a monster like Dunlap at DE, and Moch was a smaller, athletic, speed-rusher type.

The problem is that we have been misjudging which players of this type to draft.  We have used a lot of good draft picks (2nd-4th round) on D-linemen recently with very little success.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty excited about getting a new DL coach. I didn't hate Hayes, but I haven't been amazed by him either. Our line is pretty veteran. Giving those guys a new voice, with new skills to teach sounds cool. Hayes stopped having new things to say to these guys years ago.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hopefully he'd be better as a coach in Cincy than he was a player.

Not that he was terrible, but he didn't have much of an impact.

Finished his career 11th on the all time list with 121.5 sacks, led the league in sacks in 1992 with 19.  19 sacks sounds pretty impactful.

Also, he is listed as having played for the Bengals in 1998 but I don't remember that at all.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 08:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem is not the "type".  I have no problem with a monster like Dunlap at DE, and Moch was a smaller, athletic, speed-rusher type.

The problem is that we have been misjudging which players of this type to draft.  We have used a lot of good draft picks (2nd-4th round) on D-linemen recently with very little success.

Monsters that bend like Dunlap are pretty rare though. Guys that size can be at best good 34 ends or average 43 run defenders. Take in the fact that both were raw in technique coming in and they were at a double disadvantage.

DLs are getting lighter and faster, the quality of OL play is decreasing, we need to take advantage of this trend. Implement guys who can bend, win with their hands and fly off the edge- or Hell, win with leverage for once.
Reply/Quote
Bring Tim Krumrie in to coach this D-line and all is forgiven.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 08:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem is not the "type".  I have no problem with a monster like Dunlap at DE, and Moch was a smaller, athletic, speed-rusher type.

This is my issue. Either it is coaching or poor draft analysis/selection for DL in rounds 2 and 3 for years. Or could be both.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote