Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opponents going forward....
(10-29-2021, 06:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: At the start of the season I pretty much predicted that the Jets would be the only the game the Bengals would be favored in from this point forward.

Now, however, the way the team is playing they are capable of winning any of these games. The win against the Ravens really showed what this team can do. It didn't really show before that.

It was the tell tale game no doubt. You can beat that team like that in their place you can beat anybody.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: At the start of the season I pretty much predicted that the Jets would be the only the game the Bengals would be favored in from this point forward.

Now, however, the way the team is playing they are capable of winning any of these games. The win against the Ravens really showed what this team can do. It didn't really show before that.

I know going forward I’m way over confident right now. But after the shit show we’ve seen for the last several years, I forgive myself for acting like a kid with a new toy. A homeless person winning the lottery or even a hooker with a clean… Forget that one. Anyway, you know what I mean. 

I pray the team doesn’t feel over confident (which I doubt they do), or we may see our next loss this weekend. Not probable, but possible.

I’m superstitious as f when it comes to winning. I haven’t washed my gameday shirt in 2 weeks. I hope by end of year, it stinks so friggen bad that I frame it and hang it in my mancave.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 04:08 PM)Synric Wrote: He means Kenneth Murray 2nd year linebacker out of Oklahoma. I think he's on IR though dont know for how long.

(10-29-2021, 05:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I meant Herbert.... Hilarious ThumbsUp

I knew he didn't mean Murray Wink

(10-29-2021, 05:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lacey is a babe BTW... Wink

My absolute favourite actress ever.

When I saw her for the first time (that I acknowleged it was her) in Not Another Teen Movie, my heart skipped a beat and I've been enamoured ever since lol.

Good thing my wife is a big fan of hers too!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was the tell tale game no doubt. You can beat that team like that in their place you can beat anybody.

At the start of the year the second half schedule looked like the Bengals might take home a win, maybe two over the final 8 games. Now we can see that KC is much more beatable than expected, San Diego and Vegas look to be the Bengals biggest challenges left. Cleveland's QB is broken. Rothlesburger was done last season. Lamar is a RB playing QB and it looks like he's been figured out. LOL

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know going forward I’m way over confident right now. But after the shit show we’ve seen for the last several years, I forgive myself for acting like a kid with a new toy. A homeless person winning the lottery or even a hooker with a clean… Forget that one. Anyway, you know what I mean. 

I pray the team doesn’t feel over confident (which I doubt they do), or we may see our next loss this weekend. Not probable, but possible.

I’m superstitious as f when it comes to winning. I haven’t washed my gameday shirt in 2 weeks. I hope by end of year, it stinks so friggen bad that I frame it and hang it in my mancave.

I'm waiting until after the Cleveland game to say too many good things. They have to beat Cleveland next week, plus not get sleepy against the Jets this week end. Going 3-0 in the division should be enough to say they've turned the corner.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm waiting until after the Cleveland game to say too many good things. They have to beat Cleveland next week, plus not get sleepy against the Jets this week end. Going 3-0 in the division should be enough to say they've turned the corner.

I agree. We got to beat Cleveland. Specially at home. I remember the first time Burrow faced Cleveland in their house. I seen the look in Baker’s eyes while on the sideline at the beginning of the game that he had to win this against the most talked about QB in football. Baker had a great game and end of story, we lost. He’s not facing the same Burrow this time. I can’t wait. 

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: At the start of the year the second half schedule looked like the Bengals might take home a win, maybe two over the final 8 games. Now we can see that KC is much more beatable than expected, San Diego and Vegas look to be the Bengals biggest challenges left. Cleveland's QB is broken. Rothlesburger was done last season. Lamar is a RB playing QB and it looks like he's been figured out. LOL

I am sure you saw my predictions, I didn't expect us to beat the Packers or the Ravens. We certainly could of beat the Packers
if not for a bad interception by Burrow and some missed kicks but there is nobody, I mean nobody that predicted THAT type of 
win over the Ravens in Baltimore. It was the best win we have had in a long time against a very good opponent and we did it 
as no surprise to the players or coaches, they expected to win. It was no surprise to them.

Different attitude, just like Von Bell said.

And as Burrow said, if we can win this Division, we can win it all.

I believe them both.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm waiting until after the Cleveland game to say too many good things. They have to beat Cleveland next week, plus not get sleepy against the Jets this week end. Going 3-0 in the division should be enough to say they've turned the corner.

Exactly where I am with it.  This team is stupid talented, but also still very young.  There's a lot they haven't been through, and late season play will be telling.  Neither Burrow nor Chase has gone through the rigors of a full season in the NFL, much less and extended one.  

Another issue will be the increased emphasis on pressuring Burrow.  There are too many weapons to deal with for most defenses.  The only real chance they have is cutting the head off of the snake if they don't have an offense that can score a lot.  Even the mighty Brady-Moss undefeated Pats team was stopped by an elite pass rush.  

I think it's best to enjoy the ride, but be grounded.  This team will lose another game or two.  it doesn't mean they aren't really good, it just means it's the NFL and the rise to the top is a process that doesn't just bear out in one game like last week's.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 07:33 PM)samhain Wrote: Exactly where I am with it.  This team is stupid talented, but also still very young.  There's a lot they haven't been through, and late season play will be telling.  Neither Burrow nor Chase has gone through the rigors of a full season in the NFL, much less and extended one.  

Another issue will be the increased emphasis on pressuring Burrow.  There are too many weapons to deal with for most defenses.  The only real chance they have is cutting the head off of the snake if they don't have an offense that can score a lot.  Even the mighty Brady-Moss undefeated Pats team was stopped by an elite pass rush.  

I think it's best to enjoy the ride, but be grounded.  This team will lose another game or two.  it doesn't mean they aren't really good, it just means it's the NFL and the rise to the top is a process that doesn't just bear out in one game like last week's.

If I was other teams I would play Burrow like the Giants played Brady. 4 man rush and rarely blitz.

Both Brady and Burrow tear up teams that blitz regularly. They feast on the blitz.

Very true about the rigors of a full NFL season and neither Burrow or Chase going through this yet. 

I understand this thought completely. Nice post Sam. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If I was other teams I would play Burrow like the Giants played Brady. 4 man rush and rarely blitz.

Both Brady and Burrow tear up teams that blitz regularly. They feast on the blitz.

Very true about the rigors of a full NFL season and neither Burrow or Chase going through this yet. 

I understand this thought completely. Nice post Sam. Rock On

Thanks, Nate.

What you say about the blitz is correct.  However, in Brady's case he had rep as a top quarterback for most of the time that he was destroying the blitz, and teams that hammered him got penalized for it a lot.  Joe ain't quite there yet.  Brady also generally had very good lines and also other position players that were incredible at keeping him from getting hit by that blitz when things went bad.  

Burrow got pounded early in the game vs the Ravens.  It paid off, because as soon as he started cashing in on Baltimore sending extra rushers, they had to back off or pay the price.  I don't want him doing that shit every week.  I want him to be here for a long time.  He's going to have to beat the blitz over a longer period of time before teams get wary enough of it to think twice.  

Make no mistake, defenses will keep trying. Trying to double Jamaar is going to leave Boyd and Tee singled, and that's not a great thing to deal with. It also limits what they can do in front seven to stop Mixon, which I believe is truly Taylor's plan. Either way, they're leaving something to be taken. The Rams are remembered for McVay's passing offense, but Gurley was the monster during that run to the Super Bowl. I do look for teams to emphasize stopping Burrow/Chase much more late in the season, and as a result I expect to see Mixon have his way with them.
Reply/Quote
As I stated in another thread, after the Jets game, they only have three more road games and six home games remaining.
Week 10 Bye week
Week 11 @ Las Vegas
Week 16 @ Denver
Week 18 @ Cleveland
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 07:56 PM)samhain Wrote: Thanks, Nate.

What you say about the blitz is correct.  However, in Brady's case he had rep as a top quarterback for most of the time that he was destroying the blitz, and teams that hammered him got penalized for it a lot.  Joe ain't quite there yet.  Brady also generally had very good lines and also other position players that were incredible at keeping him from getting hit by that blitz when things went bad.  

Burrow got pounded early in the game vs the Ravens.  It paid off, because as soon as he started cashing in on Baltimore sending extra rushers, they had to back off or pay the price.  I don't want him doing that shit every week.  I want him to be here for a long time.  He's going to have to beat the blitz over a longer period of time before teams get wary enough of it to think twice.  

Make no mistake, defenses will keep trying.  Trying to double Jamaar is going to leave Boyd and Tee singled, and that's not a great thing to deal with.  It also limits what they can do in front seven to stop Mixon, which I believe is truly Taylor's plan.  Either way, they're leaving something to be taken.  The Rams are remembered for McVay's passing offense, but Gurley was the monster during that run to the Super Bowl.  I do look for teams to emphasize stopping Burrow/Chase much more late in the season, and as a result I expect to see Mixon have his way with them.

Yes, I don't like seeing Burrow get pounded like he did early in the Ravens game either. What is nice is he didn't take those 
unnecessary hits on the run like he did against the Packers. He can take a hit in the pocket but those runs where he doesn't
slide and he gets knocked out are the ones that can hurt his future. He needs to stop that and I know he knows it.

I liked the adjustments from the OL after the first quarter and how they took care of Burrow afterwards. Burrow was going 
to throw the ball and we were just going to run the ball enough to keep the Ravens D honest. The Ravens D is great against
the run and not so much against the pass, we took what they gave us and beat them with it.

I agree with your thoughts that the running game will be emphasized much more as the season goes on, I just want the 
ball spread out and us not putting everything on Mixon like the Rams did Gurley and wear him out.

Give Perine a lot of touches and I guess Trayveon Williams since Evans will be out at least against the Jets. Didn't like losing
Patrick off the PS, I liked that RB.
Reply/Quote
So, I break it into 3 parts:

1. at Jets, Browns, Bye
2. at Raiders, Steelers, Chargers, 49ers
3. at Broncos, Ravens, Chiefs, at Browns

Include me as one who thought, when the schedule came out, that the Jets was the only game we were favorites in. With a shot vs Pitt & Cle at home and at Denver. But we are way overperforming my expectations, and some of the others are underperforming, namely the Chiefs, 49ers, Steelers, and banged up Browns.

After the Jets game, 6 of the next 8 are at home. No gimmies, the entire AFC North + Chargers, 49ers, + Chiefs. If we TCB & get to the bye 7-2, it starts to look really good. Take at least 3 at home (Steelers, 49ers, +1) and win in Denver and we are at 11 wins. Surely enough for POs.
Reply/Quote
The last time I saw team chemistry like this was the superbowl run in late 1980's. I think this team can beat anyone, anyway, anyhow. The only reason Bengals do not win out is because they sit starters toward end of year, after locking up home field advantage!
Big Grin
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The last time I saw team chemistry like this was the superbowl run in late 1980's.  I think this team can beat anyone, anyway, anyhow.  The only reason Bengals do not win out is because they sit starters toward end of year, after locking up home field advantage!
Big Grin

You know what? Hard to argue with that.

Lets just take care of them Jets in the meantime.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 10:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know what? Hard to argue with that.

Lets just take care of them Jets in the meantime.

Yes.  Get this done and then shit will get real crazy.  I don't think the core they have will let them look past it.  
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 01:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So we have NYJ, Browns, Raiders, Stealers, Chargers, 9ers, Broncos, Ravens, Chiefs and Browns.
We all pretty much know what we are getting with the Browns, Ravens and Stealers. I haven't watched much of the other games this year, but from what I can tell from listening to NFL radio several hours a day:
Raiders are a tough team.
Chargers have Murray, but are horrible at stopping the run.
9ers suck
Broncos have lost to every team they've played with a winning record
Chiefs Offensive line is suspect, their defensive line gets no penetration and they lead the league in turnovers.

For those who have watched these teams, does this match what you see? Because theoretically, if we handle the Browns and this is true I could see us win out.

The Raiders seem tailor (taylor?) made for the Bengals.  Their strength on defense is their edge rushers who aren't overly speedy, but relentless (sound familiar?).  Their passing game relies on a lot of deep shots off play action that were jump balls that Waller won many times and that had some really bad CB play against guys like Ruggs that I don't see our guys giving up.  

They have a solid roster and a good offensive line, too, though, so they won't be a cupcake (especially on the road) but they won't be impossible, either.  

Good thing the Bengals have them coming off a bye.  

Pretty much agree with everything else you have said here.  Early in the season, it was said the Bengals might be favored in one or two games.  Right now, I can only see them NOT being favored against the Raiders (possibly) and the Chiefs (but they will have to start showing something). 

This three game road trip has allowed for a lot more home games down the stretch with only Vegas, Cleveland, and Denver for remaining road games after this weekend.  
Reply/Quote
Whatever happens, the rest of the games are going to be fun assuming no major injuries. So, it's good that one of my old laptops can stream the games well. Even if they continue the way they are, winning out seems extremely unlikely because they would lose to at least one team they are supposed to beat. Is anyone else way unimpressed with Lamar Jackson now? Didn't he run off the field last week instead of meeting Joe at mid field? And the Pittsburgh head coach is a thug. So, blowouts against those two at home would be very, very satisfying. The Browns most of the time play the Bengals tough even in their down years.
Reply/Quote
I know people are all geeked up after the Ravens win and 5-2 but let's pump the brakes just a bit on running the table. 

4 division games left
Raiders on the road after a bye
49ers, Chargers, Broncos in Denver and Chiefs

There's, realistically, 3-5 losses left in that group. 

They can get to the bye at 7-2. If they can go 4-4 minimum after the break, that's 11 wins and a playoff spot. 

Anything is else is gravy and, at this point, dreaming. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 10:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I know people are all geeked up after the Ravens win and 5-2 but let's pump the brakes just a bit on running the table. 

4 division games left
Raiders on the road after a bye
49ers, Chargers, Broncos in Denver and Chiefs

There's, realistically, 3-5 losses left in that group. 

They can get to the bye at 7-2. If they can go 4-4 minimum after the break, that's 11 wins and a playoff spot. 

Anything is else is gravy and, at this point, dreaming. 

I'm not going to get excited until the bye. If they can go 7-2 3-0 division with 5 home games left I would bet they make the playoffs.

Also even though the Bengals are #1 Seed now and possibly hold that at the bye the Bills schedule is ridiculously easy compared to the Bengals.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote