Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core's long catch
(12-04-2016, 10:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Boyd, Core and Erickson are going to be fine receivers for the Bengals in the future.

Agreed. I am excited to see these guys on another day when the offense is clicking again. I really enjoyed what they did today.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:56 AM)Whatever Wrote: If I recall correctly, the only time you can challenge the spot is on a potential 1st down or TD situation.  Since it clearly wasn't a TD, and it clearly was a 1st down, I don't believe you could challenge the play even if you wanted to.

If that is true, I was unaware of it.  Good catch, if so.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 10:37 PM)MC Howley Wrote: This has me jacked up. I also liked that they mentioned we lot Sanu and Marvin Jones..... I mean Sanu Sr and Marvin Jones Jr....

Which by the way... we got en endemic going down with "Sr's" - its getting weird man!

Ive noticed that too, what up with that. Anyway there was a play where the Philly player didnt get both feet down on a sideline pass before half. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 10:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty bad, but not as bad as that holding call against the Giants that helped the Steelers get off to a 5-0 start.

Then they pick up the flag on Mike Mitchell for spearing a defenseless receiver who was going for the ball. Definitely some home cooking in that game.

Always is at their stadium.
Reply/Quote
Great play by Core, it really was considering the play before that he basically tackled Burkhead but didn't let that get into his head....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:56 AM)Whatever Wrote: If I recall correctly, the only time you can challenge the spot is on a potential 1st down or TD situation.  Since it clearly wasn't a TD, and it clearly was a 1st down, I don't believe you could challenge the play even if you wanted to.

You can challenge the spot of the ball on any play. If you believe you got an extra foot on a 1sts and 10 run that went 1 yard you can challenge it, but the result has to be obvious from video which it often times isn't.
Reply/Quote
Cores slant was a very nice catch too. Exploded off the line then walled off the defender.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice concentration on Core's part, and Dalton dropped a dime on him.  Also, as noted earlier, nice bounce back by the kid after blowing up the run play just before that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:36 AM)Tomkat Wrote: It's not bad coaching when challenging an obvious mistake... he clearly stayed in bounds.
A successful challenge hurts nothing.
Fortunately, the Bengals scored a TD and made it a moot point.

its a waste of a time out or challenge to try and turn a 50 yard pass into a 53 yard pass...  no TD or 1st down at stake.. its a risk as it might not be clear enough to overturn and they have been sticking with the call on the field this year more times than not.

If they cant get a TD from 5 yards out with 4 downs that's on the offense   not marvin for not challenging.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:17 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Using a challenge for 4 yards is bad coaching

I would agree, but I've seen coaches challenge for less. The difference between the 5 yard line and the 1 yard line is pretty significant IMO.

Not saying Marv was wrong to not challenge, but I wouldn't dismiss it as if it were an easy choice.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: If they cant get a TD from 5 yards out with 4 downs that's on the offense   not marvin for not challenging.

I'm betting that statistically, the TD% from 1 yard out is much higher than 5. When you're that close, a run or 2 is almost guaranteed because passing is much more difficult because there's less field to cover. But the defense knows this, so they stack up for the run. Therefore it's likely your runs are aren't going to gain much. That's why 5 yards may as well be a mile compared to 1 yard.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bad coaching and Marvin Lewis have had a very long affair going on.

To be fair, Marv had a few strategic Timeouts yesterday.

Edit: But yeah, that was a sweet catch to start Core's career. I was very happy with all the great WR play yesterday.

Reply/Quote
Watched it about 15 times and Core didn't go out till the tackle ,but the defender did and that was as close to a horse collar as you get ,but I'll still take it .   Even if they called the penalty the most they would have gotten would be 2.5 yards, half the distance to the goal . 
Plenty of what its but they scored. 
Should anyone get all pissy about it? Yes. Everyone get a pitchfork and  torch and let's meet at NFL headquarters at noon !  Oh wait ..it's already 2:34pm.. too late . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 03:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm betting that statistically, the TD% from 1 yard out is much higher than 5. When you're that close, a run or 2 is almost guaranteed because passing is much more difficult because there's less field to cover. But the defense knows this, so they stack up for the run. Therefore it's likely your runs are aren't going to gain much. That's why 5 yards may as well be a mile compared to 1 yard.

I was thinking the same thing...
How many times have you seen a player with an INT or a fumble recovery get chased down inside the 10, then the D holds them to a FG?  Every yard matters.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone else notice that after the play, you could see a streak on the turf where his foot made a mark. It is not something the officials could rule on, but it was there, and showed he was not out on the five. So did the replay, by the way. Anyway, nice catch, Core.
Reply/Quote
The catch by itself was pretty routine, the pass right on mark, but he played the defender very good and something I hope we get to see a lot more of in the future.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:17 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Using a challenge for 4 yards is bad coaching

Have you seen this team near the goal line?  I would gladly have taken those extra four yards and got it at the half yard line.  
Reply/Quote