Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Brown
So...any interest in this guy now that it looks like he'll tumble out of the first due to horrible combine numbers?

I mean, this guy is 6'7" and 345 lbs. He isn't going to run a quick 40 lol. The bench reps (14) are disappointing, but (a) tall guys (longer arms) have a tougher time with that and (b) Bodine had how many reps?

I'd consider this guy in the 2nd and I'd fly to the stage in the 3rd.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd take him in the 2nd round.

I predicted he'd bust at the combine, but I had no idea how much...
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 01:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So...any interest in this guy now that it looks like he'll tumble out of the first due to horrible combine numbers?

I mean, this guy is 6'7" and 345 lbs. He isn't going to run a quick 40 lol. The bench reps (14) are disappointing, but (a) tall guys (longer arms) have a tougher time with that and (b) Bodine had how many reps?

I'd consider this guy in the 2nd and I'd fly to the stage in the 3rd.

I guess he'd have to be strictly a RT prospect, wouldn't he?  He is a mountain.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 01:36 PM)McC Wrote: I guess he'd have to be strictly a RT prospect, wouldn't he?  He is a mountain.

I'd say so, but admittedly I no longer study for the draft.

I'm thinking now would be a time I wouldn't mind going back-to-back linemen in rounds 1 & 2. 

Or if the Bengals go CB in round 1 (always a possibility), we could nab Brown as our tackle.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In 3rd would still like Brown and would love him in 4th.

2nd if everybody else is gone of interest.

Still hope we take Nelson, Wynn, or Edmunds in 1st.

Would not be upset if we traded up to get Nelson either if he slipped to 5th or 6th.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No thanks. anything before late 3rd or 4th is a total waste of a pick. the guy needs years of athletic development. i have more faith in our current oline coach but thats a big ask.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why would we want him at all if he is struggling at combine so bad? I dont study the draft either nor do I watch much, if considered any college football so a lot of times I have no clue what's going on with mock drafts and those sort of conversations.

Reply/Quote
4th round grade before combine 5th round grade after. Work ethic is atrocious and horrible footwork and weak upper body is a no for me
Reply/Quote
Somebody compared him to Burfict in another thread. Very similar combine performances. Both looked like they thought they didn’t need to train and would just show up and win on natural ability. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brown drop to the 3rd day of the draft. He still has a lot of maturing to do, apparently.
Reply/Quote
He'll have to show better on his Pro Day.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Marvin has known Orlando Brown since he was born, so I would think Marvin would lobby hard for him in the 2nd assuming Nelson or McGlinchey wasn’t taken at 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 03:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why would we want him at all if he is struggling at combine so bad? I dont study the draft either nor do I watch much, if considered any college football so a lot of times I have no clue what's going on with mock drafts and those sort of conversations.

Well Yojimbo beat me to it, but you always have combine warriors who bust and combine flops who wind up being great. Burfict for example ran a terrible 40. Anquan Boldin as well, etc. You have to take these numbers with a pinch of salt. I guess the bench is a tad concerning, but like I said, bench is tougher for a 6'7" guy with long arms.

In the end, these guys usually wind up being what people think they are, regardless of underwear Olympics. Orlando has an NFL pedigree. His father was excellent. That doesn't mean he will be, but it probably means he's not going to be totally overmatched out there.

(03-03-2018, 04:03 PM)Jpoore Wrote: 4th round grade before combine 5th round grade after. Work ethic is atrocious and horrible footwork and weak upper body is a no for me

Most mocks I've seen have him in the first. Some are even slotting him to us at 12. That will change now of course. 4th round though?

(03-03-2018, 04:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Somebody compared him to Burfict in another thread. Very similar combine performances. Both looked like they thought they didn’t need to train and would just show up and win on natural ability. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brown drop to the 3rd day of the draft. He still has a lot of maturing to do, apparently   

Maybe. I think someone will see the clear talent and pedigree and roll the dice that they can work with him and get him rolling. You can instill maturity. Not talent. The pro day could also help. He said this was the worst he'd ever bench. The 40 is meaningless to me. A 6'7" 345 lb tackle isn't going to impress with his speed.
Reply/Quote
I'll preface this with a disclaimer that I didn't really watch him play in college so most of what I have to go by is stuff I've read. The more I see of this guy the less impressed I am. From what I have seen so far, I think he is almost too big, too slow, and apparently lacks strength as well to make up for that (a guy with one hand and punter had more reps than him). I can see stronger, faster, NFL caliber edge rushers giving him a really hard time. If lack of preparation for the combine is part of the excuse for poor performance that is a bit of a red flag to me as well. Maybe he will show more at his pro day. As of now I'm hoping the Bengals don't select him in the first as some mocks drafts have picked.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 06:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well Yojimbo beat me to it, but you always have combine warriors who bust and combine flops who wind up being great. Burfict for example ran a terrible 40. Anquan Boldin as well, etc. You have to take these numbers with a pinch of salt. I guess the bench is a tad concerning, but like I said, bench is tougher for a 6'7" guy with long arms.

In the end, these guys usually wind up being what people think they are, regardless of underwear Olympics. Orlando has an NFL pedigree. His father was excellent. That doesn't mean he will be, but it probably means he's not going to be totally overmatched out there.

Most mocks I've seen have him in the first. Some are even slotting him to us at 12. That will change now of course. 4th round though?

Maybe. I think someone will see the clear talent and pedigree and roll the dice that they can work with him and get him rolling. You can instill maturity. Not talent. The pro day could also help. He said this was the worst he'd ever bench. The 40 is meaningless to me. A 6'7" 345 lb tackle isn't going to impress with his speed.

I’m not concerned with the entire 40, mostly just the 10 yard split, 2 seconds is horrible. Agree we shouldn’t get too overly concerned with combine numbers, they’re just part of the equation. He could still have a very good career, now he’s just a higher risk prospect.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 06:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m not concerned with the entire 40, mostly just the 10 yard split, 2 seconds is horrible. Agree we shouldn’t get too overly concerned with combine numbers, they’re just part of the equation. He could still have a very good career, now he’s just a higher risk prospect.

I'm the same way. The numbers are bad, but I think the thing that worried me the most was the fact that coaches on the field had to motivate him to try and go harder. He may turn out to be a great player, but all of these things combined terrifies me. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 08:25 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I'm the same way. The numbers are bad, but I think the thing that worried me the most was the fact that coaches on the field had to motivate him to try and go harder. He may turn out to be a great player, but all of these things combined terrifies me. 

It would terrify me in the first round. In fact, I'd probably be pretty pissed if we took him at 12. In the 2nd round or especially later, I'd be looking at the value of a bad combine causing a talented player to slip. Good teams take gambles like that.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It would terrify me in the first round. In fact, I'd probably be pretty pissed if we took him at 12. In the 2nd round or especially later, I'd be looking at the value of a bad combine causing a talented player to slip. Good teams take gambles like that.

Yeah. I just don't think the Bengals will be the one to take that gamble. The Bengals draft history has shown that they value the bench press as far as their draft picks on the offensive line are concerned. Maybe that will change with Alexander gone, but I'm guessing it doesn't. 
Reply/Quote
I've been down on the guy, from the onset of the offseason. I stand by my description of Orlando Brown as a "big fat oaf that doesn't move well, and get's his ass kicked in the running game". And now I can add, "he can barely manage to push less than 2/3 of his weight around", and "he had the weakest vertical and broad jumps for an OL in combine history". If the guy was trying to tank the combine, he succeeded.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 10:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been down on the guy, from the onset of the offseason.  I stand by my description of Orlando Brown as a "big fat oaf that doesn't move well, and get's his ass kicked in the running game".  And now I can add, "he can barely manage to push less than 2/3 of his weight around", and "he had the weakest vertical and broad jumps for an OL in combine history".  If the guy was trying to tank the combine, he succeeded.
Also lacks effort
Reply/Quote
I think there will be safer Oline prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round. Which makes me think he'll fall further than expected.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote